Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC 116 this fight is going to happen. I really dont know if Nelson can handle the size and strength of Kongo, Even though Nelson has a far far superior ground game, I see Kongo putting him against the cage and doing a Paul Buentello(sp?)

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I've said before, this fight will be perfect to introduce some ******* buddies to mma or to bjj specifically. Because, we are going to see a guy who looks like my fat worthless brother in law dominate a guy who looks like a warrior in a video game.

I believe the only reason Kongo hasn't been cut yet is his looks. He's a scary looking man but, I'll bet Roy had a little celebration when he heard who he was fighting. Dana must be starting to like Roy.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
I believe the only reason Kongo hasn't been cut yet is his looks. He's a scary looking man but, I'll bet Roy had a little celebration when he heard who he was fighting. Dana must be starting to like Roy.[/QUOTE]

Great point. Reminds me of Cabbage's response once on a question by I think Joe Rogan. Joe asks "what kind of guy do you like to fight" Cabbage responds "I like em to be all cut up and stuff". :thumb02:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Kongo will beat Nelson, he is way stronger,more athletic, taller, and a better striker than him. Don't let the Nelson hype fool you just because he beat a bunch of scrubs on TUF with no mma experience and got a flash ko against Struve.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Kongo will beat Nelson, he is way stronger,more athletic, taller, and a better striker than him. Don't let the Nelson hype fool you just because he beat a bunch of scrubs on TUF with no mma experience and got a flash ko against Struve.
I agree with almost evry word of that first sentence. I would only add the word not in there before beat and I would change striker to looking

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Nelson's going to land multiple TD's into belly stuffs, once Kongo is warn out, Nelson will transition into a butter mount and end it.

I've said before, this fight will be perfect to introduce some ******* buddies to mma or to bjj specifically. Because, we are going to see a guy who looks like my fat worthless brother in law dominate a guy who looks like a warrior in a video game.

I believe the only reason Kongo hasn't been cut yet is his looks. He's a scary looking man but, I'll bet Roy had a little celebration when he heard who he was fighting. Dana must be starting to like Roy.
Agreed on all accounts.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
well i heard some where that kongo is out from the fight with back injury . will try to find source again .

but if this fight does take place , i see roy having no problems getting kongo down and sub him fast .

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
If Roy can't fight Kongo I'd love to see him in the cage against Gilbert Yvel.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

Defiantly. Kongo draws with casual fans. Each time a casual fan is watching Kongo they get excited. To cut him and have him go to SF would be stupid on Dana's part.

I fully favor Roy Nelson in this fight.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

As a fan with no clue what they are talking about I expect this. You must think Roy's career started on TUF huh? Kongo is a joke, he is no better than the average HW in the UFC. Who has Kongo beat? A cro Cop that has nothing but sucked in the UFC? Big deal. Along with T. Silva, Kongo is one of the most overrated fighters STILL...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Even though I strongly dislike Roy, you have to give him props in that he can fight and is no slouch. The guy has even beat Mir in a grappling competition which I imagine is no easy feat if the guy is a washout.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
As a fan with no clue what they are talking about I expect this. You must think Roy's career started on TUF huh? Kongo is a joke, he is no better than the average HW in the UFC. Who has Kongo beat? A cro Cop that has nothing but sucked in the UFC? Big deal. Along with T. Silva, Kongo is one of the most overrated fighters STILL...
Roy is better in almost every aspect of MMA but you cant just shrug off Kongo, He has the strength to keep Roy against a cage and do something similar like he did to Paul "headhunter" Buentello(sp?).

Kongo has 4 inches in height and almost 10 inches in reach, Sure Roy just beat the tower but he is very inexperienced and you really cant compare the tower to Kongo. This fight is most likely not happening cause of Kongo's back but if it did happen, I would see Kongo pressing Roy against the cage and taking him down and basically staying in his guard against the fence so he doesnt have the ability to try a submission off his back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's no call for cutting Kongo. Will he ever be champ....ummmm, no. But that dosent mean he dosent serve a purpose for the UFC. He's held the role of cousumate gate keeper for the HW division for years, and should continue to do so. Kongo is one of maybe 3 fighters, Gonzaga included, that up and comers should have to fight before getting a shot at the HW elite. I think Kongo is the perfect next step for Nelson, however, i think its very difficult to call this one. Nelson obviously far surpasses Kongo on the ground and is no slouch on his feet, but Kongo is big and strong, hits hard, and may be powerful enough to buck off a Kimbo-killing crucifix and at least get the fight up off the mat, which is the only place he will stand any chance. Gun to my head, gotta make a pick.....Nelson by lay-n-pray decision.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
LMAO at the people saying Kongo will push Nelson against the cage. Kongo could push Buentello against the cage because the Headhunter has never even attempted a TD in his entire career, Kongo's game plan if he if his camp has any intelligence will be to use his jab and keep Roy at a distance not to close that gap for him and get in close so Roy can take him down (he will), this fight is over the minute it hits the ground Kongo sucks off his back and Roy has a tremendous top game. If Kongo tries to push Nelson against the cage he will be at the bottom end of a crucifix eating punches in no time. Kongo has nothing to beat Roy with, sure Arlovski beat Roy but AA is a vastly superior striker to Kongo with a vastly superior defensive ground game and frankly Nelson would have won that fight had it not been for a very questionable stand up.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
look at the mans record (Kongo) and show respect

people disrespect and negate all the things Kongo worked for. Why??

·
Banned
820 Posts
look at the mans record (Kongo) and show respect

people disrespect and negate all the things Kongo worked for. Why??
I would not call it disrespect. Its a fact that Kongo is a good fighter. He has made his mark in the UFC, but he is quite one dimensional, and can never seem to win the fights that he needs to win aganist upper tier competition. I belive Roy has the tools to beat him, and would if the fight were to happen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.