Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fightlinker.com/nevada-doesnt-feel-like-testing-for-steroids

It’s pretty cool that Nevada has the ability to call fighters up a month before a fight and tell them to submit a piss test. The standard fight weekend drug tests are a joke to beat, and out of competition testing is a great way to catch guys who rely on timed steroid cycles to test clean. The only problem is is that the state never seems to use it.

None of the fighters who competed on the two recent UFC events in the state of Nevada were asked to take out-of-competition drug tests prior to the events, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer.

A total of 20 fighters competed on the UFC’s “Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale” in Las Vegas on June 19, including one fighter who has previously tested positive for anabolic steroids (Chris Leben), but none of these 20 fighters had to take an out-of-competition drug test.

A total of 22 fighters competed at UFC 116 in Las Vegas on July 3, including two fighters who have previously tested positive for anabolic steroids (Chris Leben and Stephan Bonnar), but none of these 22 fighters had to take an out-of-competition drug test.

Let’s all just admit at this point that most commissions are doing the bare minimum required of them to catch steroid cheats. I’m still not sure if that makes me happy or sad – a sudden shift towards effective testing would probably beat our sport up worse than Cris Cyborg beat up Jan Finney, so we don’t need a witch hunt. But these incremental changes and tightening test requirements were supposed to put athletes on notice that the days of nearly idiot-proof juicing were over. Instead it’s looking like it’s business as usual for steroid cheats.
And let the speculation begin........

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Steroids should be a requirement if you're going to fight. The fans deserve to see the best fighters modern science can produce.
... really? :confused02: I hope your joking and I just did not get it.

And for the speculation:
Brock is jacked up on mountain dew! That is the only way he survived that fight and that is the only way he can beat anyone! He should be checked for steroids everyday for the rest of his life! That cheating white gorilla! He has to be on steroids!

Just so everyone is clear my second part of my post is a joke.:thumb02:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steroids should be a requirement if you're going to fight. The fans deserve to see the best fighters modern science can produce.
To be honest the fans dont give a shit if they use roids.

Just look at MLB. The media made huge deal about the players using roids and how they destroyed baseball, and during that time most people didnt give a shit. And still they still dont.

MLB baseball ratings and attendance went up during that time and have stayed the same since. It's just sad IMO.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
... really? :confused02: I hope your joking and I just did not get it.
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. But honestly, I don't care if someone uses steroids. What am I gonna do about it? Give the fighter a slap on the wrists?

I mean, Chris Leben just got caught for taking steroids and no one even cares anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I disagree here.
It´s disgusting having to see guys facing roid cheaters, it´s just not fair.
My point is that the average UFC fan doesnt give a shit about technique or if the UFC fighters are using PED's.

They just wanna see blood. Just like most besaball fans just wanna see homeruns.

Sure not all fans feel this way. I surely dont agree with that at all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I said it before and say it again probably 80-90% of the fighters in the ufc take stuff which is not allowed but it´s not tracable like in other sports.
Thats a part of the buisness and you can´t do something about it. They will allways find new ways to get stuff like in every other sport.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
The biggest HW title fight in UFC history and nobody was tested for steroids...

And Chris Leben who has tested positive for steroids against Michael Bisbing fighting on two cards in a row where none of the fighters where tested?

This whole scenerio is very unprofessional and downright stinks.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

And Chris Leben who has tested positive for steroids against Michael Bisbing fighting on two cards in a row where none of the fighters where tested?

Bonner also fought and he has tested positive before.......

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts

Bonner also fought and he has tested positive before.......
Forgot about him too. I'm surprised Coleman and Baroni weren't on these cards.. lol

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. But honestly, I don't care if someone uses steroids. What am I gonna do about it? Give the fighter a slap on the wrists?

I mean, Chris Leben just got caught for taking steroids and no one even cares anymore.
Quick question for you then... Would you like to step in the ring/cage with someone taking steroids or not knowing if they are doping?

I for damn sure don't want to be in the cage with someone taking steroids especially knowing that I have pushed myself as hard as I can and worked harder than most to earn and gain the strength and conditioning that I have achieved.

If fighters get away with steroid use this often I am sure blood doping and other performance enhancing drugs to cheat are going unchecked right now which is just stupid. The state athletic commission should be tightening down hard on this and fighting the use as much as possible. They have been strict on steroid and drug use in boxing for a long time now and the same should apply to MMA.

I am not sure if they are "too busy" or don't have enough funding or manning to do so but I doubt it because I know especially in Nevada that they make a fortune off of all of the events.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I read BJ Penn's book "Why I Fight" and in it he said that most MMA fighters use steroids and illegal PEDs, it's not very hard to circumvent the current testing process. Here's my stance on steroid usage, and I know ill get flamed for this but hear me out with an open mind:

I think that all steroids and PEDs should be legalized and allowed. As far as i can tell, the only reasons i know of as to why there arent allowed is because
A. They are bad for the health of athletes
B. They give athletes an unfair advantage
With regards to point A I say "so what?" Athletes should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies, and if they place winning as a higher priority than their own long-term health then more power to them. I know some fighters, such as Machida, who punch wood and do other things like hitting their hands with a hammer in order to condition and strengthen their bones. In the long term, this is very bad for you and can lead to arthritis as well as other problems down the line. Does this mean that bone conditioning shouldnt be allowed too? NO! If a fighter is so competitive and willing to win that he wants to place winning fights above his own health, then that should be his prerogative.
With regards to point B, I dont see how using PEDs gives an "unfair advantage". If steroids were legal, then everybody cuold take them. Therefore, the advantage would not be unfair because everybody would have access to them and everyone has an equal opportunity to use PEDs to their advantage. If you choose not to use these performance enhancers then so be it, but that doesnt mean it's unfair. Some fighters drink protein shakes that are available to everybody, but that doesnt give them an "unfair" advantage, it just gives them a fair competitive advantage.
If nobody had any advantages, then nobody would ever win a fight and every fight wuold end in a tie. In modern times we should be watching the best physical abilities that fighters have to offer and PEDs enhance fighters' performances by definition, so why wouldnt we want to see that?
PEDs=better fighters=better fights=happy fans.
LEGALIZE IT!

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
I read BJ Penn's book "Why I Fight" and in it he said that most MMA fighters use steroids and illegal PEDs, it's not very hard to circumvent the current testing process. Here's my stance on steroid usage, and I know ill get flamed for this but hear me out with an open mind:

I think that all steroids and PEDs should be legalized and allowed. As far as i can tell, the only reasons i know of as to why there arent allowed is because
With regards to point A I say "so what?" Athletes should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies, and if they place winning as a higher priority than their own long-term health then more power to them. I know some fighters, such as Machida, who punch wood and do other things like hitting their hands with a hammer in order to condition and strengthen their bones. In the long term, this is very bad for you and can lead to arthritis as well as other problems down the line. Does this mean that bone conditioning shouldnt be allowed too? NO! If a fighter is so competitive and willing to win that he wants to place winning fights above his own health, then that should be his prerogative.
With regards to point B, I dont see how using PEDs gives an "unfair advantage". If steroids were legal, then everybody cuold take them. Therefore, the advantage would not be unfair because everybody would have access to them and everyone has an equal opportunity to use PEDs to their advantage. If you choose not to use these performance enhancers then so be it, but that doesnt mean it's unfair. Some fighters drink protein shakes that are available to everybody, but that doesnt give them an "unfair" advantage, it just gives them a fair competitive advantage.
If nobody had any advantages, then nobody would ever win a fight and every fight wuold end in a tie. In modern times we should be watching the best physical abilities that fighters have to offer and PEDs enhance fighters' performances by definition, so why wouldnt we want to see that?
LEGALIZE IT!
I'm tired so would someone please explain to this gentleman why steroids and hitting your own fingers with a hammer aren't comparable?
One leads to f*cked up fingers, the other leads to possibly lots of diseases, heart problems and so on... Someboody please enlighten us ;)

Broken fingers doesn't hurt anybody but you, you ending up dead on the other hand hurts a lot of people...

Not a jab at you buddy, I just don't agree with you logic in this post at all :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm tired so would someone please explain to this gentleman why steroids and hitting your own fingers with a hammer aren't comparable?
One leads to f*cked up fingers, the other leads to possibly lots of diseases, heart problems and so on... Someboody please enlighten us ;)

Broken fingers doesn't hurt anybody but you, you ending up dead on the other hand hurts a lot of people...

Not a jab at you buddy, I just don't agree with you logic in this post at all :)
Agreed, its more like hitting your fingers with the possibility of them breaking for no other reason down the road...and obviously steroids affect more serious things than fingers. The most important thing of all is steroids are illegal for a reason....even if they dont want to be, MMA fighters are role models. To most educated people taking steroids is stupid but people who arent educated on the subject or to kids it sends the wrong message.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts

LEGALIZE IT!
Your argument and it's also used for Heroin, Crack and Crank and it is very good.

We all should be allowed to do whatever we want to our bodies.

Either that... or your argument is specious.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
One leads to f*cked up fingers, the other leads to possibly lots of diseases, heart problems and so on... Someboody please enlighten us
Creatine leads to a lot of kidney problems among other things as well, but i would bet that you dont have a problem with that. Hell, even bacon when eaten regularly can lead to obesity, high cholesterol, heart problems, among other diseases. Do you want bacon to be illegal as well? I'm curious as to where you decide to draw the line.
We shouldnt have the right to dictate to other people what they want to ingest in their bodies. If somebody wants to gain a competitive advantage at the expense of their health, more power to them. Even if somebody wants to drink poison for fun (i.e. alcohol) they should be allowed to. This is America people, Dont dictate to others what they should do!

Everybody ends up dead, not just people who take steroids.

The most important thing of all is steroids are illegal for a reason
Yeah but that reason isn't necessarily a good one. Black people being free was illegal for a reason at some point, but not for good reason. There are a lot of stupid laws and laws that arent right in every country in this world, the idea is to get rid of the bad ones instead of just saying "it's illegal for a reason" and accepting it forever.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts