Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one thing i always scream at the TV, is for the fighter who has side control to throw knees to thier opponents ribs! in UFC, it is perfectly legal, so there's no question of kneeing to a downed opponent there. it is such an effective strike, and something which you see often in PRIDE. again, this might go to the fact that in the UFC, the ground game seems relegated to throwing elbows from inside a guys guard. there are so many options on the ground that UFC fighters totally abandon. and let me tell you, a crowd of Vegas ******** would shit some bricks seeing a guy toss a few mean knees into someone's ribs...

why no knees to an opponent when in sidemount, in UFC???

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I dont know why theres no knees and i agree there should be more. But just wondering, why do you think the UFC wants there fighters to throw elbows? Whats difference does it make to them?

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asskicker said:
I dont know why theres no knees and i agree there should be more. But just wondering, why do you think the UFC wants there fighters to throw elbows? Whats difference does it make to them?
oh assy, that's simple! elbows are viscious looking, and they almost always result in blood... american's have huge bloodlust!

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
pt447 said:
oh assy, that's simple! elbows are viscious looking, and they almost always result in blood... american's have huge bloodlust!

Nothing wrong with blood.

We can't take them away, take away too many strikes and it wont be MMA, it will be who is the better puncher/wrestler

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AtomDanger said:
Nothing wrong with blood.

We can't take them away, take away too many strikes and it wont be MMA, it will be who is the better puncher/wrestler
this thread ain't about elbows though, there's another thread for that... this is about the lack of knees while in sidemount... which, is basically an abandonned move in the UFC... have you ever seen a fighter stay in sidemount and work from there? nope, it's always a transition to mount or back standing up...

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
If youve ever grappled someone youd know lifting off your control of your opponent and temporarily going on one foot in side control give's the opponent a chance to escape

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
I agree PT....and this makes me think of the time Mark Coleman looked like he killed that guy in PRIDE...kneeing the **** out of his shoulders until he went unconcious. Dude was tough though he got up and was smiling and raising his arms like nothing happened.

I always yell at the TV cuz people in the UFC don't seem to think of more options. Especially on TUF, they have sooooo many opportunities to TKO or KO someone it's ridiculous. I always wondered the same thing you are asking in this thread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You guys arent the ones fighting in that cage, so it doesnt make sense why you should tell what is more effective to them.

Kneeing the body, or striking the head? The goal is to end hte fight quickly. Head strikes usually do that, as opposed to a body shot. Again, this has nothing to do with the UFC blah blah blah. The fighters chose not to utalize it. So be it. At least the UFC allows elbow strikes...

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
spearsoldier said:
You guys arent the ones fighting in that cage, so it doesnt make sense why you should tell what is more effective to them.

Kneeing the body, or striking the head? The goal is to end hte fight quickly. Head strikes usually do that, as opposed to a body shot. Again, this has nothing to do with the UFC blah blah blah. The fighters chose not to utalize it. So be it. At least the UFC allows elbow strikes...
Well people in PRIDE do it and it ends the fight a bit quicker. I don't think people in the UFC are constantly going for an instant KO or something. It only makes sense to soften your opponent up while you are in a great position. Unless you are a practioner of lay'N'pray. It's not like we are being racist by saying only the guys in the UFC do it...it's not meant to be offensive...but it is completely true.

·
Registered
323 Posts
JawShattera said:
If youve ever grappled someone youd know lifting off your control of your opponent and temporarily going on one foot in side control give's the opponent a chance to escape
Yup you risk losing position fairly easily when you lift and draw back the knee. You can keep your base and still throw elbows or punches and score the same points/possibly get a KO.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the point i'm trying to make is, that the UFC is way to static, you very rarely see a fight you haven't seen 1000 times before. ooh a spinning backfist every once in a while... woohoo...

and as for risking your opponents escape, well, maybe a little risk would bring a heck of a lot more action for the fans, but also bigger payoffs for the fighters! the fact is, i see guys in PRIDE use it all the time, not only the knees, but sidemount in general... but in the UFC, never! ever!!!

why? the guys in PRIDE use it effectively, and sure you see an escape, but you can see escapes from all positions of control. look, in the guy's guard, you have very very little options, in the mount, you can rain fists down or maybe spin for an armbar... but in sidemount, you get your hammer fists, downward elbow strikes, knees to the ribs and/or liver, and shoulders, and you can also reach for kimura's...

every time i see a guy in sidemount in the UFC i get pumped... but he always passes it away or stands up... there are more options in the sidsemount than in any other form of controll. true, you lose some of that "control" aspect, but it is in the sake of having more offensive options. maybe that's why i like PRIDE more, the fights are more offensive, while in the UFC, they are inherintly more defensive and boring...

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spearsoldier said:

and as for ending the fight quickly... that's boxing... in boxing you get punches to the head for as long as you want... only option, that's where you'll find the quickest KO's... but in MMA, you are supposed to use your full arsenal, not just throw punches or try to cut a guy like Dana seems to like... MMA is about the full fighter, using all his weapons to win however he can. if a guy is spending 5 minutes to get himself in a positino to elbow a guy to get a cut to stop the fight, that's a boring fight! i'd rather see a guy go after every angle he can until something wins... like you see in PRIDE. in the UFC, you get maybe 2 different fights, and they get repeated 5 times each PPV...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.