Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Also, doesn't your school sell their own GI's? If not (and you're still confused - since you are getting a lot of different answers) then perhaps you should ask your instructor these questions.
Yes, the school does sell them but they are only the single weave gi's and I'm not sure on the brand. The majority of students at the school wear blue gi's so I think that's what I will go with.

Thanks everyone so much for all the help. It's very appricieated.

Kurt

·
Registered
921 Posts
at our gym we mostly wear blue gi's but what everyone said is true about not allowing certain colors in tournaments so i suggest blue or white. As for patches thats mostly for sponsors and patches from your team or gym so i dont think you should worry about that for now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It shouldn't really be a problem unless you're training at a traditional school. But I'd stick with blue or white. Red isn't that great of an idea, black is better but still not great. If you're new and you show up wearing a red or black gi it kind of says "look at me, I'm trying to be flashy".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah white is good for beginners. I remember when I walked in with my new white gi and everyone was like wow how is yours so clean?! But yeah honestly, we look at people with other than white or blue as show offy, or experienced. There is one guy at my place with a black gi and hes pretty good but he uses his strength alot and neck cranks. Besides him, Gonzaga comes through with a red gi sometimes, and i guess hes the only one allowed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi,
I'm starting BJJ within the next few weeks and was searching online for a gi. Does the color of the gi itself (not the belt obviously) have any significance? In other words, if I show up as a newbie in a red or blue gi, does that mean something? Or should I just buy a white one. Also, what about patches? Basicaly, I just want to know if it's offensive or just a bad idea to show up in anything other than a plain white gi. Thanks!

-Kurt
wash the gi before you bring it to the mat and stain someones nice white gi. this goes for under armor too. my team mate did that to me when he wore his new black gi, new black under armor /w his matching black underarmor ballerina pants. at the end of the day it looked like i laid chest down in a charcoal pit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
there are only 2 gi colors you can wear in judo (white or blue), 3 in bjj (white, blue or black). it is all bout preference. i wear my judo gis in bjj tournys, just make sure when you purchase you will be able to past inspection, everyone looks at the length only and forget to look at if the seem has the drop form the arm. also concider shrinkage. that is why i only buy double weave preshrunk.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Gameness is good, they care about their customers.
comfortable, real nice gi's good thick collars, good weaves.

patches are all about being your self lol.

i'd go with a blue gi, white gi's get mad nasty dirty. black gi's are cool, but its kinda out of place.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
To tell ya the truth, I wouldn't be caught dead in a black or red Gi. Hell, I'm conflicted whether I should buy a blue Gi(I have a white one already), since I'm very traditional when it comes to judo. At some judo schools in Japan you couldn't train in any kind of a gi except white.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Given the high dropout rate of this sport, go cheap initially. Once you have some experience and decide that this is for you then you can spend the cash on a pricey gi. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun training.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts