Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California's athletic commission proposed 3 changes awhile ago.

#1 A downed opponent must have 2 hands down instead of one
#2 Holding dominant position for the majority of 5 minutes is an automatic 10-8
#3 165 lb weight division

I'm admittedly biased against everything coming out of california whether its new MMA rules or UBI (social security 2.0).

Conclusions

#1 The two hands down to be a grounded opponent rule made everything worse. It added to the confusion and controversy.

#2 Chris "El Guapo" Gutierrez vs Cody Durden on august 1st highlighted issues with the automatic 10-8 rule. In round 1 Cody Durden got Gutierrez' back. Locked in a body triangle Held position the entire round not doing a whole lot. Automatic 10-8. New california MMA rules reward holding and stalling. They throw 10-8's at rounds where someone laid and prayed and 10-9's at rounds where a fighter was more active and dominant. New rules are bad.

#3 Jon Jones and Conor McGregor are having trouble finding open slots in main events where they could have an opportunity to fight. Every main event slot for the next 4+ months is filled. Adding a 165lb division would make things worse and contribute towards the UFC having larger scheduling issues.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
California would only be completely conforming to the New Unified Rules with the first revision. The second rule is kinda screwy cause it would award law and pray fighters which even as a wrestler I'm against. As for the third according to the New Unified Rules there's already a 165lbs division called Super Lightweight and King of the Cage utilizes it.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One ruleset says a grounded fighter has one hand down.

California's new rules say a grounded fighter must have both hands down.

It confuses people.

The midway point between 155 and 170 is 162.5.

165 is 5 less than 170 and 10 more than 155.

Its not a fair halfway mark between the two divisions and the way california handled it isn't the best imo.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Well remember that EliteXC's lightweight division was at 160 which was done so that Nick Diaz could make it. Though he missed weight at that weight class a few times. So yes at some point all the commissions should go with the two hand down rule.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well remember that EliteXC's lightweight division was at 160 which was done so that Nick Diaz could make it. Though he missed weight at that weight class a few times. So yes at some point all the commissions should go with the two hand down rule.

I like one hand on the mat. Over two hands.

It leaves them with one arm to defend themselves against strikes and chokes.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Yeah but it also leads to fighters taking advantage of that in order to create a situation where they can't get struck. Not to mention it forces a fighter to be active and use that free hand for stuff like blocking.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They can still be picked up and slammed, kneed to the body, punched / elbowed in the face, or choked with one hand down.

Its only knees/kicks** to the head that are illegal.

AFAIK anyway.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Well remember there are those that believe that knees and kicks to a downed opponent should be legal like back in Pride Fighting Championships. Joe Rogan at one point was one of them.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imagine Edson Barboza soccer kicking someone in the head.

That's one reason I wouldn't support soccer kicks and knees to grounded opponents being legal.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Can you imagine an alternate reality where Pride was the one that lasted and while they did hold events here in the US they continued holding events in Japan and Barboza would do soccer kicks?

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"If someone offered me $1,000 to take another leg kick from Edson Barboza, I'd say I'm good." --Gilbert Melendez

I think the average MMA fighter hits harder with punches/kicks/elbows/knees today. Then they did 5 to 10 years ago.

You could have soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents back in the day when many MMA fighters didn't know how to throw a punch or kick properly.

It would be more dangerous today with everyone hitting harder.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
So you're saying that back when it was still similar to guys just throwing down and weren't properly cross training that the punches, kicks, elbows and knees weren't as effective and as a result if the same techniques were used today it would be more devastating?

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember the 1st time GSP fought and out-wrestled Josh Koscheck. Everyone's mind was blown. No one thought an MMA fighter lacking an amateur wrestling base could keep up with a wrestler like Josh.

The same with Conor McGregor vs Floyd. Many thought Floyd would outclass Conor and wreck him within a few rounds. Instead it was a competitive fight.

The level of wrestling/kickboxing/grappling in MMA is always improving.

Maybe in 2005 MMA fighters could soccer kick each other in the head without inflicting serious damage due to the level of kickboxing being a bit lower at the time.

No longer the case imo.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
You are aware that kickboxers like Mirko Cro Cop and Semmy Schultz were in Pride right? They knew how to kick and they were rather brutal. Also Gomi set the Pride knockout record against Renzo with a knee.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back in the day there were only a handful of names with world class boxing/kickboxer competing in MMA.

Today nearly everyone in the UFC could be world class in their striking. Artem Lobov vs Paulie Malignaggi in BKFC and Khalil Rountree vs Gokhan Saki are showing how times have changed.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Well there was also a time when crossing over between the two sports was a lot easier to do with fewer contract restrictions. Nowadays contracts are mutually exclusive restricting them unless we are talking about provisions made in Bellator.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That just makes me think of Rampage trying to ditch bellator to fight in the UFC around the time he fought Fabio Maldonado.

Scott Coker said: nope.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Yeah, Scott may have been willing to part with Eddie when he realized that because Bjorn had screwed him over he didn't want to fight with Bellator anymore but there was no contract issues, Rampage was under contract. Anyways I don't think he would've lasted in the UFC even at the time anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Bellator devalued their organization by having their "champions" face subpar competition.

I would have liked to see PVZ fight ilimalei mcfarlane in her 1st bellator fight.

PVZ would have been the highest ranked opponent mcfarlane ever fought for her belt.

·
The Title Guy
17,199 Posts
Yeah except that Paige is coming off of a loss and Bellator when signing UFC fighters typically try to have them coming off of a win in the organization. Benson Henderson is a classic example as are the other UFC veterans who were given a fighter coming off their UFC stint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts