Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I totally agree with him on everything there. I find it fascinating that the Japanese environment somehow made Nick Diaz into a guy that actually makes sense... minus the part where he says that he won the fights he lost. Although you gotta give it to him that he actually did more damage in his decision losses while being controlled on the ground.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
I actually agree with Nick on a lot of his points. I do believe that many fighters now are athletes and get by in fights by using the rules and wrestling to hold guys down. I think the rules need to be changed in America to mimic the Pride rules where the fighter that tries to finish the fight should be rewarded more than the one who holds a "dominate" position.

Chael Sonnen vs Nate Marquart is a perfect example. In the 15 minutes of fighting Marquart probably spent 12 on his back, yet Sonnen was the only person to come out of that fight looking like he had been in a fight. Nate didn't have a scratch on him because all Chael did was tackle him and pitter patter enough to not get stood up.

In regards to the ring though, I think the cage is the better setup ultimately. In the ring you'll see fighters get tangled in the ropes or blatantly hold on to them (Fedor vs Lindland) in order to not get taken down. I actually thing the cage should be changed out for a Plexiglas wall instead. This will not only offer a better view to fans but to officials and will also keep fighters from holding onto something when being taken down.

Just some thoughts of mine.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
Good points all around, but its gonna be tough to get this implemented over here. I agree with bwoods, the cage is a better fighting platform, noone gets tangled in the ropes or anything. There needs to be other rules though like he said to help keep the fights going.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Chael Sonnen vs Nate Marquart is a perfect example. In the 15 minutes of fighting Marquart probably spent 12 on his back, yet Sonnen was the only person to come out of that fight looking like he had been in a fight. Nate didn't have a scratch on him because all Chael did was tackle him and pitter patter enough to not get stood up.
You are kidding right?? :confused03:

This fight made the whole PPV card totally awesome! One of the best performance I have seen in years. The Underdog goes in there and puts a beating on the massive favourite..(yes he gave him a beating and landed 5 times as many blows at Nate) when did we saw that the last time?

I was blown away by this fight! Even Bas Rutten said it was one of the best showings he ever saw.

I really don't know how you can say something like that.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The difference between a cage and a ring is significant. A cage will always be a cage and will make it easy for wrestlers to get to the clinch and get takedowns. A ring however is pretty much a non-factor. The ring ropes are treated like air and nobody can be pressed up against the ropes because they will immediatly be seperated. Plus nobody can use the ropes to get up after a takedown. The ring is much more neutral and emphasizes the technical aspect of MMA much more than a cage will ever be able to, plexiglass or fence. Of course there would be more breakups, but it worked for PRIDE. I'd be really interested in seeing some top guys from the UFC in a ring.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I was always against a Ring for MMA fights. How many times have we seen guys using the ropes to not get taken down?? Way to many times in my mind. Plus if they can't roll over by there own, they use the Ring to get out. In a Cage there is no way to get out. Plus the fight got stood up countless times just to place the fighters in the middle of the Ring to continue. Plus the Cage can be used to make a wall walk to get back up to your feet wich just isn't possible in a Ring with Ropes.

The only bad thing I see for a Cage is, that it looks very violent for the public. A Ring looks just more professional more Historic.

·
Registered
780 Posts
NO NICK NO! WAND WILL QUIT UFC TODAY! seriously i bet some of the old pride stars would be the only beneficiaries.

·
Pretty old, apparently
1,484 Posts
I actually thing the cage should be changed out for a Plexiglas wall instead. This will not only offer a better view to fans but to officials and will also keep fighters from holding onto something when being taken down.

Just some thoughts of mine.
When I first read that I thought, that sounds like a good idea I wonder why no one has done it. Then I realized plexiglass has no give, and I don't think get driven into a solid surface would be good for the fighters. I could see some serious injuries occurring. It would have to be padded which would, of coarse, ruin the fan view.

Also WTF with Nick putting sentences together.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Not a fan of the Diaz bros but I agree completley. Interesting when he talked about the Dream cage being dangerous.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I always think its funny that the Diaz brothers who train with Shields are always complaining about guys stalling and not trying to finish the fight.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
When I first read that I thought, that sounds like a good idea I wonder why no one has done it. Then I realized plexiglass has no give, and I don't think get driven into a solid surface would be good for the fighters. I could see some serious injuries occurring. It would have to be padded which would, of coarse, ruin the fan view.

Also WTF with Nick putting sentences together.
He has ADD, and probably isn't too sharp to begin with.

·
The Title Guy
18,061 Posts
Cage

Yeah I think the fencing used on the cage is covered with that plastic rubber type stuff so it won't hurt the fighters!

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Well PRIDE rules can be done, legalizing an illegal substance cannot!
Pride rules will never ever happen on US soil. You will never get a US athletic commission to allow somebody to kick a downed opponent. Ever. screw weed you got a better chance of legalizing acid.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Im getting very fed up of wrestlers holding guys down for 3 rounds and winning fights when the guy on the bottom is doing more damage.

·
The Title Guy
18,061 Posts
Problems

Yeah I have to confess that because I'm a wrestler I'm partial to the 10 point must scoring system because it favors wrestler!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.