Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Nikolai "The Russian Giant" Valuev

Votes: 16 51.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading as SI article on this boxer and I wanted to get some other people's takes on my big question. Could he beat Tim Sylvia in an MMA fight?

Nikolai "The Beast From the East" Valuev
Professional boxing record: 44-0-0 with 33 KOs (1 no contest)
Vitals: 7' 325 lbs
Title: WBA Heavyweight Champion
Note: Valuev is the largest man ever to hold a heavyweight boxing belt.

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia
MMA Record: 22-2-0
Vitals: 6'8" 265 lbs
Title: UFC Heavyweight Champion
Note: Sylvia has never been KO'd in his MMA carreer.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
me too, hes like 7'2, and hes a beast he can box and Tim has no ground game so in a stand up fight i see Sylvia losing this one

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah tim only boxes, if valuev was fighting someone with a ground game he would lose. but my pick in this match is valuev.

on a side note, anyone else think valuev looks like Zidane?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I voted Sylvia. Tim did come up as a wrestler and could probably take him down. I sure Tim is somewhat versed in subs and just doesnt use them. He'd probably win by submission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't how much any of you follow boxing but if you do you will know that Valuev is not that good of a boxer, he is just a big guy. If it comes down to a MMA fight Syvia will win, boxing I will give to Valuev.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Valuev will be a decent fighter at HW since the division is so weak, but I'd keep him away from some of the heavy handed guys in that division like David Tua, whos been making a comeback...Valuev's size makes him wide open to shots to the chin, and one left hook from Tua is all it takes...

that said, i'd take Sylvia in a romp in MMA, Valuev in a romp in boxing...

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Tim wins both boxing and MMA. MMA for obvious reasons but I think Tim's hand speed wins him the boxing match. Valuev is a novelty champion (No disrespect "Giant", I'm just saying that you are not a Muhammed Ali). He seems to have a great chin though. I guess when you plant both feet in the middle of the ring it helps to be able to take a beating. I've only seen a couple of his fights and I do like the way he tries to keep from holding which he could clearly do in all of his fights as soon as someone tried to come inside.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shenku68 said:
I don't how much any of you follow boxing but if you do you will know that Valuev is not that good of a boxer, he is just a big guy. If it comes down to a MMA fight Syvia will win, boxing I will give to Valuev.
People keep saying that, but I've watched him fight. Apart from his occassionally sluggish punching, he's got power and pretty solid fundamentals. He's not as solid as Evander Holyfield, but he's still a sound boxer, which is more than I can say for Sylvia.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Valuev vs Tim Sylvia

....WTF?...where do people get the Fantasy matchups...lol..Valuev over Sylvia?...OMG....no way. Just saw his last fight with Monte Barrett, and Monte was taking it to him. Valuev needs some work. He punches downward leaving himself open for headstrikes. Monte landed Flush on the head a few times...even buckled Valuev's knees. Gee...I wonder what a high kick by Tim Sylvia would do?...come on....no contest. Everybody knows Tim can beat him in multiple ways. Big Tim with ease...

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Pogo the Clown said:
Sylvia is the most underated fighter on these forums. He could be fighting a midget with one leg and people would still bet against him.

Pogo
ahahaah he def is, i dunno why tho....i just dont think hes a complete fighter

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Theory?

jdun11 said:
ahahaah he def is, i dunno why tho....i just dont think hes a complete fighter
If Tim would start opening up his game a bit, he might get more respect. Right now he just fights way too conservatively. He will have his chance against Monson. Monson likes to stay aggressive so Tim will be forced to react to that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Concerning skill Valuev is low-low average, hes like a C fighter talentwise, the number 1 reason why hes winning is that he is just huge. He has extremely long arms even for a heavyweight hes very very tall and looong reach so he naturally dominates most fighters but if you put him in a match with any of the other big heavyweight thats just a little close to his size, he will probably lose imo.In an MMA fight Tim would win and a boxing match between any boxer and mma athlete weighing the same I would pick the boxer but in this case im not 100 % sure..:dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.