Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
LEGEND
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no way in my opinion, that Bj Penn can win the title. correct me if I'm wrong please, but the last time they fought, wasn't it at a lighter weight class??? There's no way Bj Penn can take Matt Hughes at the welterwight level. I have maaaaad respect for Bj but he just looks fat to me and after watching the Penn vs Gsp fight, I gotta go Hughes on this one MOFO
 

·
canadian champ
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
nah it was at that weight. BJ took the belt from hughes at ufc 46. They took it away from him and i believe he got it back at 52. I think he fougth GSP as both number one contender's. I think I can't remeber when he officially got the belt back. Penn used to fight at 155 which is confusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
CTFlyingKnee said:
Regardless of weight, BJ will NOT beat Hughes this time, mark my word, or I will make a own thread about the greatness of one Josh Koscheck LOL
BJ has the same odds as Matt going into this fight in my eyes. Matt will ONLY win a decision. BJ simply has more ways to finish a fight. Throughout careers, matt has been guillotined, armbarred, rear-choked, and KOed. BJ has only lost by decisions. You may go and say, Matt has had more fights. Well if you want to compare fights this way, how come none of Matts four losses weren't through decision?

I'm just saying that people are comparing this fight the wrong way. Matt his is going to play the scorecards and not finish the fight. He just better hope BJ doesn't catch him.
 

·
LEGEND
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Esotera said:
BJ has the same odds as Matt going into this fight in my eyes. Matt will ONLY win a decision. BJ simply has more ways to finish a fight. Throughout careers, matt has been guillotined, armbarred, rear-choked, and KOed. BJ has only lost by decisions. You may go and say, Matt has had more fights. Well if you want to compare fights this way, how come none of Matts four losses weren't through decision?

I'm just saying that people are comparing this fight the wrong way. Matt his is going to play the scorecards and not finish the fight. He just better hope BJ doesn't catch him.
I hate it when people always go throught the history lesson. I don't care who Bj was 3 years ago. Fighters change, some for the worse some for the better. Undisputedly, Chuck Liddell has changed for the better and he killed Sobrol. Hughes too has gotten better and better learning from each mistake. Bj Penn in my opinion has lost some of his talent, his last few fights have been pretty sad. Matt Hughes is fighting the Bj Penn of today, not the fighter of the past that you refer to. Hughes has done nothing but improve
 

·
LEGEND
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
moldy said:
I don't belive ground and pound will work on BJ. Plus if you watch interviews matt wants to knock people out. I think that fool will try and stand with him. Bad mistake.
Yeah, just like he stood up with Gracie. When has Matt ever knocked someone out??? I only recall the one time when he slammed that dude unconciouse. I just say this because there are alot of threads lately that almost go as far as to call Hughes a striker. MATT DOESN'T STAND UP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I think Hughes is going to pull it off this time. Last time Hughes was so confident that he was going to walk all over BJ that he took him lightly. Now the shoe is on the other foot. BJ is getting really cocky for this fight. Saying he is going to come in here and take back his belt. Matt Hughes is not the same fighter he was 2 and half years ago. After losing to BJ he has really focused and worked hard to get his world title back. I'm saying it will be close fight but I just think that Matt is in the right mind set for this fight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
The only reason BJ didn't look so good against GSP is because GSP didn't do anything but throw him. GSP used his size to win a decision thats it. GSP did not hurt BJ once, and like i said before, MATT WILL ONLY WIN THE SCORE CARD, not the fight. BJ has one of the best defenses in the game, not just gaurd. You NEVER see BJ get hurt in his fights. BJ has not gotten worse, its just a fact that fighters take the scorecard if they know they cant finish them. BJ does not fight for the judges. At the end of BJ GSP, who looked like they won? Matt will play the game better, thats all. From a fighters point of view, Matt will not win the Fight, just the match. A judges decision, is just a decision. They dont take into account who inflicts more damage/pain.
 

·
The American Psycho
Joined
·
6,946 Posts
MMA freak said:
I think the fight will go the same as the last one did. For one Matt Hughes hasn't improved one bit except maybe his striking and conditioning but BJ Penn will out grapple him just like last time and dominate him in the first round. Then early in the second he will catch him with a rear naked choke.
Exactly, BJ has to win so CTFlyingKnee can make a thread about Koschecks greatness!
 

·
I eat babies
Joined
·
7,647 Posts
putmeonhold said:
I hate it when people always go throught the history lesson. I don't care who Bj was 3 years ago. Fighters change, some for the worse some for the better. Undisputedly, Chuck Liddell has changed for the better and he killed Sobrol. Hughes too has gotten better and better learning from each mistake. Bj Penn in my opinion has lost some of his talent, his last few fights have been pretty sad. Matt Hughes is fighting the Bj Penn of today, not the fighter of the past that you refer to. Hughes has done nothing but improve

I'm not sure you should say BJ has gotten worse seeings how you only watched him against GSP since then and he looked great during that fight GSP only got like 1 takedown the whole fight. Bj's balance was ridiculous in that fight. The reason why you may think BJ looks worse than Matt is cuz look who BJ fights then look who Matt fights. Seriously. You guys are so biased towards Hughes just cuz he LOOKS dominating. Try thinking outside the box once in a while. BJ is not cocky by saying he's gonna take his belt back, that's not cocky at all. He won it in dominating fashion the first time so he has every right to say that. Matt on the other hand is the one being cocky when he shouldn't be. You need to watch BJ's 5 fights since he beat Hughes, then make your opinion. He didn't look bad fighting GSP but he also didn't look his best I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Fight for our rights!

WouldLuv2FightU said:
I'm not sure you should say BJ has gotten worse seeings how you only watched him against GSP since then and he looked great during that fight GSP only got like 1 takedown the whole fight. Bj's balance was ridiculous in that fight. The reason why you may think BJ looks worse than Matt is cuz look who BJ fights then look who Matt fights. Seriously. You guys are so biased towards Hughes just cuz he LOOKS dominating. Try thinking outside the box once in a while. BJ is not cocky by saying he's gonna take his belt back, that's not cocky at all. He won it in dominating fashion the first time so he has every right to say that. Matt on the other hand is the one being cocky when he shouldn't be. You need to watch BJ's 5 fights since he beat Hughes, then make your opinion. He didn't look bad fighting GSP but he also didn't look his best I know.
BJ looked quite out of shaped during that GSP fight :( . Hopefully, he'll be in shape and be ready to win come Saturday!

GO BJ!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top