Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its strange that nobody seems to care as it is not the first time this has happened. The guy has already been caught using banned diuretic's to cut water weight in the DeSouza fight and missed weight in the fight vs. Hughes by coming in at 174 pounds.

This is a fight for the chance to fight GSP and there is no excuse for coming in overweight.

Its not much different than the Anthony Johnson. Everyone keeps saying he should go up to MW and for the most part i agree. Why not Alves? Johnson only missed weight one time(176) vs. Yoshida, which was because of a knee injury that has now made him drop out of two fights and forced him to consider moving up. Alves has missed weight two times (174, 171 1/2) so far and i don't see nearly as much posts stating the need for him to move up.-long layoff and surgery aside.

Both cut nearly 40+ pounds to make weight. Does anyone else see a problem with Alves missing weight again? should he move? lose some muscle mass? something else? he cant keep missing like this when hes fighting for a shot at the title.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
no only because it was only .5 pound . if he came in RumbleWeight again than yeah he shouldn't be allowd to fight WW again . but it was minor wight problem so i think people should let it go .

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
I was actually thinking about making a thread about this- :thumbsup:

I do have a problem with it as it's not a one time thing with Thiago and it's BS he can't do it consistently like the fighters he is facing. Almost all of the UFC fighters cut weight and many a large portion of it but they can do it consistently. 2 times now and 1 bust for a diuretic is too much IMO- if a fighter keeps missing weight, I know the UFC can't force guys to change weight class, then the penalty should keep moving up so he losing a large chunk of his salary and given to who he is facing.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^if thats the case, if it really was a minor problem. why would he not be able to drop half a pound in an hour or whatever the amount of time given. Johnson was injured coming into the fight vs. yoshida, Alves was not.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
I have a problem, this is supposed to be a next in line WW fight when he can't even make WW?

I think he should go MW where he may actually make the weight. he is just too big for WW, I've said it for a while.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Yeah, it does seem like nobody cares. I think if he wins he shouldnt get a shot at the title anymore, he needs to be punished for this and am a big Alves fan. He was supposed to have had a sprained ankle against Hughes so i gave him a little leeway for that, and he did really push himself. But theres no excuse this time, especially since its a contender fight. I dont think he should go to MW he is just too small height wise, he should just cut from a much safer weight. I mean cutting 25-30lbs has got to just drain you so much, 15-20 max. would be much safer and i think you would feel alot better come fight time.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it does seem like nobody cares. I think if he wins he shouldnt get a shot at the title anymore, he needs to be punished for this and am a big Alves fan. He was supposed to have had a sprained ankle against Hughes so i gave him a little leeway for that, and he did really push himself. But theres no excuse this time, especially since its a contender fight. I dont think he should go to MW he is just too small height wise, he should just cut from a much safer weight. I mean cutting 25-30lbs has got to just drain you so much, 15-20 max. would be much safer and i think you would feel alot better come fight time.
Exactly. that's the thing, it seems as though these guys are trying so hard to be as big as possible come fight night they cut too much weight. i would not be surprised if these guys (johnson,alves) aim for 171 pounds rather than 170.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Well normally id be pissed off, but three things: first hes giving 20% of his purse to fitch (about the price of a base model mustang), 2nd he got so close to weight yet instead gave up 20% of his purse rather than make it (ie his cardio probably took a huge hit) and last it was only half a pound.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thiago needs to start cutting his walk around weight. He's not big enough for MW, he needs to walk around at 180 because its starting to get ridiculous. He's to big to cut so much weight

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd say .5 pounds is nothing to be so concerned about he has been out for a while and he did really great to almost make weight im sure he can lose the half pound either way before the fight.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I've generally got a big problem with guys who can't make weight i think it's very unproffesional and Alves is a fighter with a history of it.
I will cut him a little bit of slack this time cos he is coming of fairly major surgery and he made it to 1/2 a pound within weight (although he looked like he had cut A LOT), but still i will say what i always say: If you cant make weight without risking major health issues and essentially shortening your life expectancy than you should move up!

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
I bet seeing as this is no longer a welterweight fight, if Alves wins, he will not get a title shot.

He will either have to face with winner of Shields/Kampmann or the winner of Shields/Kampmann will get the shot.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Well normally id be pissed off, but three things: first hes giving 20% of his purse to fitch (about the price of a base model mustang), 2nd he got so close to weight yet instead gave up 20% of his purse rather than make it (ie his cardio probably took a huge hit) and last it was only half a pound.
doesnt Fitch only get 10% and the athletic commission or someone gets the other 10? Am certain i heard that somewhere, can anyone clarify that?

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
You're all forgetting that he gets time to cut the weight and is re-weighed. If he makes weight he doesn't lose the cut, if he fights over weight, then he does.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts