Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira may be coming off the most devastating loss of his career after UFC heavyweight contender Cain Velasquez scored a first-round knockout over him at UFC 110, but the former champ isn't ready to hang up the gloves just yet.

In a recent interview with Tatame, Nogueira weighed in on his future with the UFC and said he's eager to get another crack at fellow former heavyweight champ Frank Mir, who defeated him via a decisive second-round TKO at UFC 92.

"I'd love a rematch against Mir, it is a fight I would like to do again," said Nogueira. "It would be a good fight, he is a high level athlete. I want it, for sure."

When you consider where both men are in their fighting careers, it's a bout that actually makes a lot of sense.

With Mir coming off a knockout loss to Shane Carwin and Nogueira struggling to stay relevant in the UFC's heavyweight class, a second fight between the two might go a long way toward determining which of the former champs has the brighter future.

It wasn't all that long ago that Nogueira was known as the man who simply couldn't be knocked out, no matter how much punishment he absorbed. But beginning with the loss to Mir, which many in the MMA world blamed on a staph infection that had plagued the Brazilian prior to the bout, Nogueira has recently looked far more mortal in the cage.

Since neither man is anywhere close the challenging for the title again, what better way to let them each try and prove that they're still top ten heavyweights by matching them up together one more time?

Nogueira obviously wants a chance to avenge the loss. Something tells me Mir probably wouldn't mind an opportunity to show all the naysayers that his first win over "Minotauro" wasn't simply the result of catching him on a bad night.
Personally I really hope they make this fight. Even I will admit staph did play some role in the UFC 92 bout but I would love to see Mir get a chance to prove alot of people wrong. I would also like to see Nog get his shot to redeem himself too I have a alot of respect for him.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/05/10/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-calls-for-rematch-with-frank-mir/

Reactions: Icculus

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree it gets me more pumped then seeing ethier fight Roy Nelson or Gonzaga.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I would want to see this fight if it got to the ground, but Mir will do the exact same thing he did last time. Stand and box, Mir's striking is a lot better than Nog's and Frank will refuse to go to the ground.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would want to see this fight if it got to the ground, but Mir will do the exact same thing he did last time. Stand and box, Mir's striking is a lot better than Nog's and Frank will refuse to go to the ground.
I would actually be very interested if the fight hit the ground but like you said I don't see Mir wanting any of that. Im sure he could hold his own but something tells me Nog would take it. He is very crafty the way he baits people.

Who knows though Mir might want to prove a point. He has made worse gameplans in the past clearly haha.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I wouldnt mind this fight. I feel like the Staph infection sort of tainted the first fight a bit. If this happens I have Mir adding another W to his record.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
The days of Nog absorbing two rounds of punishment and pulling out a miracle submission are over. The men in the HW division are just too big and powerful.

Combined with Nog's current standup game which involves standing flat footed with no laterral or head movement, it'll be the same story, easy TKO round 2.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
The days of Nog absorbing two rounds of punishment and pulling out a miracle submission are over. The men in the HW division are just too big and powerful.

Combined with Nog's current standup game which involves standing flat footed with no laterral or head movement, it'll be the same story, easy TKO round 2.
Round 2? Well aren't you generous. I'd be amazed if he made it out of the first.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
In one way, I want to see Nog beat the shit out of Mir and avenge his loss.

On the other hand, I do not want to see Nog lose to Mir again.

Nogueira losing to Mir was truly awful. A sad, sad day for MMA, as the great one got finished by someone who lost to Brandon Vera.

·
Banned
0 Posts
In one way, I want to see Nog beat the shit out of Mir and avenge his loss.

On the other hand, I do not want to see Nog lose to Mir again.

Nogueira losing to Mir was truly awful. A sad, sad day for MMA, as the great one got finished by someone who lost to Brandon Vera.

Different fighter from when he fought Vera he was all fat and out of shape.....although obviously NOG aint the same either but he thinks he is....

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Using the Vera beat Mir card is redundant. Mir looked like he should have worn a muumuu to the ring.

He also tooled hardonk, lesnar, nog and kongo since that fight in 2006.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Using the Vera beat Mir card is redundant. Mir looked like he should have worn a muumuu to the ring.

He also tooled hardonk, lesnar, nog and kongo since that fight in 2006.
He hardly tooled Lesnar.....he got rocked twice and caught Lesnar leaving his legs behind. I don't like Brock, but don't make it seem like Mir made him look like a fool.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not to mention the guy was still pretty screwed up from the accident. Brandon Vera wouldn't stand a chance now, ignoring the fact he's a lhw now. Vera has completely lost his aggression. Went from being one of the best strikers in the UFC to a stepping stone. What a shame.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
I see Mir fans are clinging on to the "But, but, he was injured!!!!" excuse when he got smashed by a 205'er, even though Mir himself has admitted that he was fine, health wise, during the fight.

And Mir would've lost that first Lesnar fight had Mazz not been his saving grace. Tooled, my ass.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
ugh lets nit pick at phrasing.

fine, he won matches versus those opponents. He also got smashed by Lesnar and Carwin.

My point was the Vera loss is an old argument that has no relevance today.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think that Mir takes this again and again. Nog just isn't as good as he once was and Mir, although he just lost, has been improving. His striking has gotten better, and he has put on a lot of muscle recently. I don't see the Nog of today beating top contenders anymore.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I see Mir fans are clinging on to the "But, but, he was injured!!!!" excuse when he got smashed by a 205'er, even though Mir himself has admitted that he was fine, health wise, during the fight.

And Mir would've lost that first Lesnar fight had Mazz not been his saving grace. Tooled, my ass.
Mir fans don't have to do any clinging. He's been at or around the very top of the heap for pretty much his whole career.

Now Nog fans on the other hand.. that staph shit has been one of the most touted and legitimized dumbass excuses in the history of MMA lol.

You don't know that Lesnar would have won that fight had it not been stood up. Mir haters love to say that but I contend that Mir may have subbed his ass anyway. Lesnar was throwing baby hammer fists and Mir was going for constant subs; Brock's sub defense has gotten better since but at that point, obviously, it sucked.

Anyway Mir wins this fight easy. I'd love it for Mir but at the same time WTF IS NOG THINKING?? :confused: This could be a nail in his coffin. He should call out Kongo or somebody; calling out Mir is a really bad career move.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.