Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching this event as well as many events in the past, I think whenever there is #1 contenders who are going to fight and winner gets a shot at the title those fights should also be 5 rounds.

Thoughts....

and why not? I can't think of 1 good reason not to.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
After watching this event as well as many events in the past, I think whenever there is #1 contenders who are going to fight and winner gets a shot at the title those fights should also be 5 rounds.

Thoughts....

and why not? I can't think of 1 good reason not to.
Bad idea mainly because UFC has no real system in determining a No.1 contender. This ladder these fighters are suppose to climb are practically none existent. BJ Penn will get a title shot not because he deserves, its just he is very marketable. Werdum was supposed to get a title shot but because Lesnar, who was 1-1 at the time, made a name for himself in the WWE he is made No.1 contender. Shogun got his shot because Rampage refused to fight Machida and thier was no one else in that division they could give it to.

Not only that even if you win the fight the UFC might decide not to give you a title shot, like in the case of Dan Henderson.

Like I said their is no real system in determining who is No.1 contender.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. When it's clear cut that a fight will determine a #1 contender the fights should go 5 rounds. I don't think 3 is enough.

And get rid of instant rematches while we're at it too.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I wouldn't wanna see this.
I think it takes something away from the title fights.
Plus, the UFC's system at establishing the number 1 contender doesn't exist imo. It's too weird.
5 rounds for the title.
3 rounds for the others.
It's worked so far, it will work from now on also.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
There has been extensive debate on this in the past on this forum. Although I see the appeal, I am against it entirely.

One, I think it generally leads to more exciting fights. Fighters are more likely to put everything on the line when each round has increase importance. When was the last time we had a 5 rd. fight that was exciting as Sanchez vs. Guida or Liddell vs. Wandy?

Two, it prevents really boring 3 round fights from becoming really boring 5 round fights. A lot of main events are interesting, but a lot are not, as well. I am sure we all would have loved for Hendo vs. Franklin, or Silva vs. Franklin or Griffin vs. Bonnar to have been five rounds. But what if they were really boring fights? Think how long Leites vs. Silva seemed like it lasted. Unless this is going to be an option 4th and 5th round that can be decided after three rounds, it doesn't interest me much.

Three, to me, rounds 4 and 5 separate the champions from the non-champions. I find it to be in interesting variable going into title fights. "Can Alves last a full five rounds?" "What will their cardio be like in rounds 4 and 5?"

Four, I am not sure adding a 4th and 5th round will lead to that many more decisive wins. I know there isn't any actual research on this (not that I know of, at least), but it seems like once a fight gets out of rounds 1 and 2, the chance of the fight ending with a KO/TKO or sub decrease dramatically. This occurs for the obvious reasons (too sweaty to get a sub and too tired to get a KO).

Obvious this is just my opinion, but I actually really like the 3 rd. non-title fights and the 5 rd. title fights. There is just something interesting about the excitement that can occur in a three rd. fight and the cardio questions regarding a fighter when he first comes into the championship rounds. I hope they keep the current system.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think that the UFC should be able to make certain non-title fights 5 rounds at their discretion. Maybe you get both fighters to agree to it ahead of time. There is a good reason why all fights are not 5 rounds, if all fights were 5 rounds then you would likely see more boring fights because the fighters are pacing themselves for 5 rounds instead of 3 so they will be more judicious in how they expend energy. But certain fights, between MMA veterans who have shown the ability to last 5 rounds, should be 5 rounders because its the best test of who would do better in a title shot.

IMO Rashad/Rampage could have been a 5 rounder, but a much more fitting 5 rounder would be Fitch v Alves 2. Both guys have proven that they are more than capable of going to war for 25 minutes and that they would both be fighting 5 rounders regularly if the WW division didnt have GSP, who is just on another level than the rest of the division.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I can not wait for MMA fighters to have extreme cardio. I think it would be nice when all the fighters have extreme cardio and we can up the rounds a little. Like have non-title fights 5 rds and championship fights 7. This seems like something that would be entertaining to me but not so much the casual fan. Like not right now because there are a lot of fighters that do not have the cardio for it. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I can sympathize with the 5 rounder and I can also support the 3-rounder.
Like most people have said, all the classic 3 round fights that we've seen probably wouldn't have been as explosive if they were 5 round fights. Risk taking and cardio are huge factors in the 3 and 5 round fights. Most smart fighters know when to take the risk, know how much gas they have and have a good feel for how strong their opponent is.

Would Forrest and Bonnar have fought 2 more exciting rounds? Probably.
Would Shogun and Coleman fought for 2 more painful rounds? Probably.
Would Silva and Leites been more exciting if it was a 3 rounder? Kinda flips the coin on that one.

Those are just examples. I know there are lots of fights where I wish they could just "ammend" the rules just for that fight on the fly. But that how things are seem to be working just fine.

If they UFC (or any other combat sport) had a legitimate ranking system, I'd say go for it, have the number 1 contender matches a 5-rounder. But that doesn't exist and it never will. Fights are too far apart and there still is too much parity between the elite fighters and the guys just below.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
All Main events should be 5 rounds IMO time and time again we have seen non title main events go 15 mins and its just simply not enough, we always leave a little dissapointed thinky that what if it went another round or two. 15 mins is a short amount of time for a main event IMO, making 5 rounds will make it feel like more of main event imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.