Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are alot of martial arts that alot of people don't know about. I was just wondering if anyone had some stuff we should check out.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, this is tacky, I'm posting the first reply on my own thread.

Anyway, I personally suggest Daito Ryu AikiJujutsu. It's the martial art that most of Aikido is derived from, but it emphasizes the joint locks and works really well for MMA.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've been hearing alot about ***** lately. Would somebody fill me in?

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
***** is a Russian Style of grappling that was created in the early 1900's as an off-shoot of Judo, infused with other wrestern styles of grappling/wrestling. It came into the forefront of the Russian military's hand-to-hand training in the 1920's. It is now practiced in the former Soviet states in 3 forms: Sport, Defense and Combat.

***** is a grappling style that empasizes technical throws much like Judo, but looks to finish the fights/matches through the use of submission holds. ***** is known for its leglocks, you can click here to see what I'm talking about.

Coincidentally, ***** has seen a lot of renewed interest mainly due to Fedor Emelianenko, the current Pride HW champ. You can check out Wkipedia on some of the more specific detail here.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Don said:
Tang So do is not that obscure but is less know then Tae Kwon do which derived from it
Yeah, I've heard that Tang Soo Do (sp?) is a little bit more combat practical that tkd, but I don't think that highly of tkd.

Thanks for the stuff on *****, ong. (I love abbreviating names)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Tang soo Do is ALOT more practicle then I have a freind who has trained in it since he was like 5 or 6 and is a 2nd degree black belt , his instructor studided in Korea for many years I think grew up there as a child but was not korean

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Don said:
Tang soo Do is ALOT more practicle then I have a freind who has trained in it since he was like 5 or 6 and is a 2nd degree black belt , his instructor studided in Korea for many years I think grew up there as a child but was not korean
Was he a transplant? :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tang so do is a pure Korean martial art which was oppressed when Japan controlled Korea. During this period Tang so do was made illegal in korea and anyone who practiced it could be put to death.

When the Japanese left the koreans created a new martial art called Tae Kwon Do which has is a mix of tang so do and karate.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
IronMan said:
Was he a transplant? :D
His instructor was actually polish, and I belive went over there as a young man during the war but stayed there afterwards, not sure why but was in his 50 or so when he returned not sure exactly why he stayed and the details but you can imagine how hard his trained was being a white man in Korea right after the war

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a new one that I've thrown out on a couple of discussions: Shorinji Kempo. There aren't very many pros who use it, but that's just because of the religious signifance behind it. However, the one Kempo guy that I'm sure you all know is Chuck Liddell. I guess it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
chinese martial arts

have any of you guys thought of training in the old school chinese ma's such as praying mantis, wing chun etc. i'm sure some of the short fist styles would compliment your mma training. and if you could find an instructor willing to teach you such things as iron fist technuiqe a few broken jaws would soon come round lol.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
hmm true there are some good techniques in the chinese arts biggest problem there is finding an instructor who will peicemail train you in the useful stuff to MMA the chinese tend to be purists and you must repsect that, hence thier problem with bruce lee the fact he was teaching the round eyes and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes a can see what you are saying. I think i am lucky in that way as i have two close friends that have trained and are instructors in both wing chun and praying mantis. so any traning we do is in my garage and is not in any completly structured way. one of them is going to ireland next month to stay and train in iron fist for 6 months. worst bit about is having to abstein from sex and masturbation for entire length of the training. not something i could do:(

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
LOL.. I have a friend who is trained in Dim Mak techniquies he did a few of the non lethal ones to me once, lets jsut say that was enough for me.. I wonder though how well those can be applied in a fight if so I am gonna learn them and enter I'll take on chuck when I do.. that is assume they can be easily applied

·
Registered
6 Posts
well lets just say i have met the guy who my friend will be traing with and seeing him punching full force into a bucket full of steel ball bearings is a sight to see. and even with an open fist he can use his training to obliterate the insides of a melon without leaving a mak on the outside. so i would think hat if someone had this training you could severly mess someone up in any grappling situation within a few inches of hip movement ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
saint-george said:
have any of you guys thought of training in the old school chinese ma's such as praying mantis, wing chun etc. i'm sure some of the short fist styles would compliment your mma training. and if you could find an instructor willing to teach you such things as iron fist technuiqe a few broken jaws would soon come round lol.
I have studied Wing Chun for almost 5 years and did about 4 months of Southern Praying Mantis....2 systems design for pure combat...

Now Im into MMA and my wing chun training translate very good....it has to be modified to fit the rules but the principals of fighting are there....

it also helps me in learning kali, boxing, bjj, and other styles...

·
Registered
41 Posts
krave maga is not a sport but a self defence system

this is not somthing worth learning for MMA since most of the tekneques is illegal due to the rules.
You also learn knife defens and gun defence.

EDIT: might I add that my knowledge about this system is very limeted, so the info I gave you could me inacurate.
But its just my oppinion :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts