Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's what I want to see in roughly this order after UFC 119(Penn V Edgar), Dana White needs to make a decision about Rua quick:

UFC 120 Forrest Vs Lyoto (October)

UFC 121 Rampage Vs Lil Nog (Maybe the Lil Nog PAN AM boxer shows up and Rampage loses the ring rust -- probably boring, possible K.O. finish) Rampage has star power right now, A-Team is a blockbuster and Rampage was an awesome BA Baracus.

*UFC 122 Silva Vs Rashad (Double the PPV, i'll pay)

*UFC 123 Shields VS Vitor (make it a relinquished or interim MW championship belt fight - 5 rounds)

UFC 124 The winner of Chuck vs Franklin VS Bones (Bones Destruction)

*UFC 125 HW Champ VS Cain (January)

*UFC 126 GSP VS Kos

Lot of other potential great co-main events, fight night headliners:

Thiago Silva VS Gegard Mousasi?!?
Bader VS Phil Davis
HW Loser VS JDS
Frank Mir VS Pat Barry

down the pipe
Aldo
Rampage VS Lyoto (likely winners)
Possible MW title defense by Silva

Edit..

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
You're missing something:

"UFC 124 Chuck/Franklin winner VS Bones"
Oh, sorry, I just seen the bold and thought you meant that fight at 124 and a side note that the winner fight Bones later.

Okay that makes sense, because I was like WTF? This is a good list, but why is he having Chuck fight Rich when it's tomorrow haha.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
How over hyped Jones is isn't even funny anymore, are people really acting like two of the top UFC champs of all time are mere cannon fodder for a guy who hasn't even fought a top ten LHW?

Reactions: Life B Ez

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How over hyped Jones is isn't even funny anymore, are people really acting like two of the top UFC champs of all time are mere cannon fodder for a guy who hasn't even fought a top ten LHW?
Franklin's my favorite guy in MMA. I just wrote a long ass post about how Chuck was great. And I have a little bank on him to win.

But in Jones, I witness absolute control, domination, strength, a guy doing things not been done before to the fighters he's faced (kinda like Brock and Carwin before they got shots), I rank him up there. Franklin's + Chuck does make a headliner, but I bet they can't dominate the way Jones has been doing. He's probably already the strongest guy in LHW, just observing the guys ability. He'd likely destroy either of the two with what he's demonstrated.

Oddsmakers and the betting public will rank him up there too.

This isn't a hall of fame voting, it's good match-ups. You honestly think the winner of Chuck/Franklin would be even close to favored against Bones?

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Oh I completely agree, people are acting like him beating Hammil and BRANDON VERA is something no one can do. The top tier would tool him inside of a round at this point in his career, I'm curious to see how he develops, but those spinning elbows and throws need to go, they are cool and work against cans, but he'll get hurt bad doing that against someone with talent. He is working with Greg Jackson now though, so he'll probably be good via decision from now on.

But I do think he could probably beat Chuck (at this point in his career) and I'm not sure about Franklin, I'll have to see how he is at 115.

Reactions: Toxic

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I completely agree, people are acting like him beating Hammil and BRANDON VERA is something no one can do. The top tier would tool him inside of a round at this point in his career, I'm curious to see how he develops, but those spinning elbows and throws need to go, they are cool and work against cans, but he'll get hurt bad doing that against someone with talent. He is working with Greg Jackson now though, so he'll probably be good via decision from now on.

But I do think he could probably beat Chuck (at this point in his career) and I'm not sure about Franklin, I'll have to see how he is at 115.
Feel free to wager against him. I guess GSP's spinning backfists and such were all stupid too when he was a striker. If he showed the ability to throw solid Lennox Lewis type jabs, which he likely will, I will likely put him as #1 LHW.

Yes Brandon Vera is a can, his last "loss*" to Couture demonstrated that. As well as his other loss in 2008 via split decision to Kieth Jardine. I'm sure all the ranked LHWs would have exchange with him for a bit, then would have just grabbed vera, thrown him on the hard to the canvas, pinned him down and have completed 1st round brutal GnP till Vera covered his head, and went in to the fetal position.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Franklin's my favorite guy in MMA. I just wrote a long ass post about how Chuck was great. And I have a little bank on him to win.

But in Jones, I witness absolute control, domination, strength, a guy doing things not been done before to the fighters he's faced (kinda like Brock and Carwin before they got shots), I rank him up there. Franklin's + Chuck does make a headliner, but I bet they can't dominate the way Jones has been doing. He's probably already the strongest guy in LHW, just observing the guys ability. He'd likely destroy either of the two with what he's demonstrated.

Oddsmakers and the betting public will rank him up there too.

This isn't a hall of fame voting, it's good match-ups. You honestly think the winner of Chuck/Franklin would be even close to favored against Bones?
The general public is fickle and bookmakers don't just take into consideration who they think will win but also what they estimate betting habits will be. I would easily favor Chuck against Bones if he were to win. Franklin I would probably go with as well. Any fighter who is unique is gonna create problems and fighters without a great base will struggle but guys like Franklin and Chuck never got to were they did by being regular fighters. Soukoudjou burst onto the scene looking far more impressive than Jones has and yet quickly fizzled. Jones has not proven to deserve the hype yet a few losses to the top of the pile proven talent and suddenly the arguably most dominant LHW of all time is a mere appetizer for Bones? Sorry but hype is cheap a track record against top guys is real.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The general public is fickle and bookmakers don't just take into consideration who they think will win but also what they estimate betting habits will be. I would easily favor Chuck against Bones if he were to win. Franklin I would probably go with as well. Any fighter who is unique is gonna create problems and fighters without a great base will struggle but guys like Franklin and Chuck never got to were they did by being regular fighters. Soukoudjou burst onto the scene looking far more impressive than Jones has and yet quickly fizzled. Jones has not proven to deserve the hype yet a few losses to the top of the pile proven talent and suddenly the arguably most dominant LHW of all time is a mere appetizer for Bones? Sorry but hype is cheap a track record against top guys is real.
"general public is fickle and bookmakers don't just take into consideration who they think will win but also what they estimate betting habits will be"

They usually play right in to my hands, I can hedge my bets. I bet Rua at +140 and big on Mitrione at Even. I bet Rashad at +125. I bet Liddell at +115 and Barry at -140. MMa spreads usually suck, but it's the easiest sport to make money off of.

I'm sure all the top LHWs that meet with Joe Silva are like feet me that ridiculously strong 22 year old who is destroying people left and right. He's just a show off that I will gladly destroy for you, his judoesque wrestling takedowns won't work on me. I will neutralize his outstanding technique to control in guys in the clinch and neutralize his knees. The only thing he's doing right now is throwing highlight stuff and landing with accuracy against lesser strikers (much like early GSP), as opposed to boxing and knocking people out when he outstrikes them from the get go. And if you want to see signs of improvementjust compare the Hamil fight to the Vera fight (neither are which are cans). His boxing improved dramatically, the punches are becoming more crisp, his takedowns are becoming more straight forward

If you want to see a relative Franklin fight

Ace took his fair share of punishment fighting Hamil, Ace was winning the fight by a small margin could of gone either way with judges as you know though, Franklin ended it with a nice Strike. Jones controlled Hamil and was annihilating controlling the clinch, knees, perhaps some flashiness with his Judo like takedown and wild striking combined with ok footwork, but hey it worked Hamil and Vera were capable of doing absolutely nothing with the skillset Jones has developed. OK maybe right now he's learning, but still destroying in every fight.

Soukoudjou is an awful comparison, was he ever anything more than a spectacle.

Ironically though, the Brandon Vera hype was much bigger. And he's a B level fighter.

I know a legitimate top prospect when I see one - it's not flashiness, he's just ridiculously strong, has excellent athleticism to dictate fights however he wants, it's not perfect efficiency and I think he's the type that would gas in a war, but not before delivering some serious damage.. and i've never seen him in trouble before, despite the unorthodox flashy fighting style, he doesn't take risks that leave him vulnerable. I put him in the same category as Brock right now - learning, working hard, already can dictate fights with what he's got, what he's learned, controls the action --- has no where to go but up. I guess he's just overrated though, anyone can do this stuff.

My Bizarre LHW Rankings
1. Anderson Silva
2. Bones Jones
3. Machida
4. Rashad
5. Thiago Silva
6. Bader
7. Rampage
8. Lawal
9. Chuck Lidell (this is before the fight in about 12 hours or so...and after he wins, he will drop in my rankings)
10. Forrest Griffin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.