Who wins the fight?

• Chris Leben

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to Aaron Simpson facing Chris Leben in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not much love for this fight or something? Possible FOTN contender IMO. I'll be rooting for Aaron Simpson. He impressed the hell out of me in his fight with lawlor.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I'll be rooting for Simpson and I'm pretty confident he will win. Leben couldn't even finish Jay Silva in his last fight, so I'm not too sure where he stands. Plus, as we saw, Aaron simpson has one hell of a chin.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though known for his wrestling, Aaron Simpson is 'confident standing up there' with Leben:

Versatility is a key attribute in the sport of mixed martial arts. Developing all-around skill in multiple disciplines is what helps a good MMA fighter become great.

UFC middleweight Aaron Simpson (7-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is working hard to become just such a fighter. A former All-American wrestler at Arizona State University, "A-Train" is quickly making a name for himself through his striking rather than just his grappling.

It's a reputation Simpson is proud to carry.

"I want to be an exciting fighter," Simpson recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I don't want to just do enough to win."

Dominant wrestlers are often criticized for boring lay-and-pray tactics. While Simpson's grappling pedigree would certainly allow him to just dominate positioning of he so chose, the Arizona resident has shown he'd prefer to stand and bang.

Witness his January "Fight of the Night" win over Tom Lawlor for proof.

Now Simpson meets an opponent who will undoubtedly oblige in that tactic in Chris Leben (19-6 MMA, 9-5 UFC). The pair meet on the main card of Saturday's Spike TV-broadcast event, The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale in Las Vegas.

While Leben is no longer considered one of the sport's elite middleweights, "The Crippler" does own 10 knockout finishes in his near-eight-year career.

"You never know what you are going to see," Simpson said. "He throws everything in his arsenal. I plan on going out there to try and jump on him early and keep pressure on him."

If the heavy handed Leben plans to brawl, Simpson says ready to weather the storm.

"I feel comfortable standing up there," Simpson said. "I think I'm faster than him, and I'll catch him."

With six of his seven professional fights ending by knockout or TKO, it's understandable that Simpson likes his chances on the feet. But in the interest of versatility, Simpson can always fall back on his wrestling strengths should Leben's slugging power prove intimidating.

"If I need to take him down, I will," Simpson said.

Since coming to the UFC as part of the WEC's decision to focus on later weight classes, Simpson has earned victories over Tim McKenzie, Ed Herman and Lawlor. An impressive win over Leben on Spike TV could potentially move the middleweight into a short list of 185-pound contenders.

Still, the soft-spoken Arizonan remains humble about his UFC role. Just as he strives for versatility in his attack, Simpson is comfortable fighting under any circumstance.

"I feel like I still have to earn my way around here," Simpson said. "I'll take what they give me."
Link

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Aaron Simpson is no joke, he showed a great chin and heart in his fight against Lawlor and earned that win. He has great wrestling and his striking is improving. He is just a guy that won't quit, you have to admire that in a fighter. If he can't out strike Leben at this point of his career, i see him using his relentless wrestling and winning by decision or technical knock out. This guy has a lot of potential in MMA.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Aaron Simpson is no joke, he showed a great chin and heart in his fight against Lawlor and earned that win. He has great wrestling and his striking is improving. He is just a guy that won't quit, you have to admire that in a fighter. If he can't out strike Leben at this point of his career, i see him using his relentless wrestling and winning by decision or technical knock out. This guy has a lot of potential in MMA.
I put $10 down to make $38 if Leben wins.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I thought Leben looked good with his sprawl and scramble.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
haha just ended as i was about to post

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
yeah and one more left from Leben and he was going back down
Well, so be it, that's fighting. I understand you want to keep them safe, but this is almost as bad as, "You can't tackle the QB to the ground anymore in the NFL." It's really hurting the sport, IMO. In all honesty, we could've seen Leben run over and end up on his back from a Simpson TD.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
i definitely thought it was cut short a tad bit.

but simpson looked gassed and out on his feet, probably got saved some punishment and a decision loss. But one hell of a chin, took that left straight on the chin.

edit:

woah what do you mean you can take a QB to the ground anymore in the nfl? i dont really follow football but that is terribad if thats how it is now.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Simpson was rocked but he got back up and had some space. Why wouldn't you give him a little longer there? Certainly seemed premature to stop that there.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
edit:

woah what do you mean you can take a QB to the ground anymore in the nfl? i dont really follow football but that is terribad if thats how it is now.
Yes, that's how it is. I'm not exactly sure of the rule, but I don't know how many people got called for "Roughing the Passer" this past season because they didn't tackle the QB a particular way.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
It was looking like the beggining of the end even if he recovered there. He was gassing, Leben was throwing bombs and landing, only a matter of time. If Simpson wasn't able to hold Leben down in the 1st when he was full of energy, it wasn't happening after collapsing running away.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
I think the ref saved Simpson from a longer medical suspension.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts