Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Das Übermensch
7,953 Posts
I thought the stoppage was pretty lame man, it should have went to a 4th round. Then maybe Sherk would of started trying to take him down? Lol I can't decide what was worse in this fight, the stoppage or Sean Sherk's strategy?

·
Funky Groundwork
2,263 Posts
yeah...cuz with 10 000+ fans screaming it's easy to hear the horn.....:thumbsdown:

Yamasaki just isn't a decisive referee...
Agreed. When BJ hit sherk with the Knee he followed up with a couple of punches and then saw Yamasaki look like he was stepping into to stop the fight with his arms forward to seperate the fighters and then stops.

Also you are right about Yves. he can ref consistently even while doing backward rolls in the middle of a round.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thought the stoppage was pretty lame man, it should have went to a 4th round. Then maybe Sherk would of started trying to take him down? Lol I can't decide what was worse in this fight, the stoppage or Sean Sherk's strategy?
I was listening to the post-fight interviews and Sean somehow got it into this head that he was a boxer and was going to showcase his boxing skills against BJ Penn. Opps.

BTW if I was Kenny Florian or Roger Huerta, I would start talking all this shit I can about BJ. Whoever wins that fight needs to call BJ out, insult his mother, whatever. Then need to keep him interested in at least fighting one more fight at LW.

·
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
5,398 Posts
I was listening to the post-fight interviews and Sean somehow got it into this head that he was a boxer and was going to showcase his boxing skills against BJ Penn. Opps.

BTW if I was Kenny Florian or Roger Huerta, I would start talking all this shit I can about BJ. Whoever wins that fight needs to call BJ out, insult his mother, whatever. Then need to keep him interested in at least fighting one more fight at LW.
I agree...I really think Penn believes he beat the best the UFC 155 has to offer him. Florian is about the next best and I think he could pose problems because he is well rounded and has absolutely no quit in him. He would be a hard guy for BJ to finish, but I think BJ would win.

Huerta gives his back to everyone..that wouldn't evn be close if you ask me. 1st round RNC...winner BJ

·
Banned
6,974 Posts
That was disgusting...I mean what was Sean thinking? He went for one takedown.....that was worse than watching Frankie fight Cung.

Jesus sherk........

·
Team Penn
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ahh..too bad for Sherk.

It was obvious his game plan was to wear BJ down until the 3-4 round and then hit him hard.

I think if he had held out, he would of started to take BJ down and ground and pound his ass, but he got into his head he was a pro boxer, but was basically losing the exchanges.

Oh well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
BJ Penn has great take down defense, and he wasn't even too gassed by the end of the fight. So I disagree that Sherk wouldn've won the later rounds by GnP. Even if he did, he would not have finished BJ, which would have left it 3 rounds to 2 anyway.

On top of that Sherk was an absolute idiot; he has a terrible game plan. He tried to box with BJ who is much better at it than he is, and had one clear take down attempt. At least he was classy though, which I was glad to see.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
How was it lame? Sherk was hurt and couldnt continue.
He was in no shape for a 4th round.

The guy got messed up

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
or the cage gate had opened, everyone started celebrating, and he felt he'd avoid doing whats right and just stick with what bj had decided....
Thats what you seriously believe went on?

Sherk was rocked.
He went back to his corner mistakenly thinking the match was over... granted.

Sherks camp was getting him ready for the next round... his camp never bothered to straighten him out? They probably tried their best to shake him out of it.

When Mario went over there and checked him out, Sherk probably 'still' thought the match was over.
Thats a clear sign he was still out.
Geeze.
Was it better he go back in all dazed and get seriously hurt?

He got the time to recover, it wasnt enough to convince the ref he was alright.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think BJ waving his hands in the air played a part in the stoppage. Not that it was a horrible stoppage, just it should've been made sooner if it was going to be made.

BJ used the power of suggestion to influence the decision. I learned about this once in Psychology class. My teacher told our class to do the following.

Solve these mathmatical equations:

12 x 2= ?

17 + 7= ?

8 x 3= ?

16 + 8= ?

14 + 10= ?

15 + 9= ?

Once you have found all the correct answers, write down the name of a vegetable on a piece of paper.
I came up with Carrot, am I wrong?
I said carrot too
The point was he was using suggestion to make you do something. What you wrote down doesn't matter.

Unless most people pick carrot. lol
Haha, I didn't say carrot, but I think the point is that he used suggestion to make us think of a vegetable
To continue on what I previously wrote, most people do choose, believe it or not, carrot! The reason why? 24 carrot gold. Your cognitive process is taking a shortcut. 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24 carrot gold. Most people will choose carrot, although it's not 100%. It's the power of suggestion and I think B.J. waving his hands made the ref say, wait, yeah, that was it that was over. Thanks to those that participated. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Mario shakes his head at BJ... basically telling BJ that he is WRONG.
Mario never called it over at sound of the horn.
He let it continue even after Sherk got rocked by the knee.

At the left of the camera shot you can see Mario walk to Sherks corner... going to check if Sherk can answer the bell.
By this time, Sherks camp is already working on him.
You can see Sherks corner guy getting him ready, the bout was NOT over yet.
So if Sherk was really OK... he would have be able to show Mario right then.
Clearly this was NOT the case.

He called the bout after checking Sherk out.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
sherk wasn't out at all....he thought the fight was already stopped, and thus no need to get up.....fact was the fight wasn't stopped and we add yet another notch to mario yamasaki's sketchy-ass stoppage belt.....
Mario didnt stop the bout at the knee, he let it continue.
Mario didnt stop it at the end of the round.
He checked out Sherk between rounds and found he was unfit to continue.
How is that sketchy?

sorry but thats BS. sherk was definitly in no way 'out' while mario was 'assessing' him.

he thought mario already stopped the fight so he just sat there.

all it takes is mario to say 'fights not over, end of the round' and sherk gets up and goes to his corner.

im not saying sherk definitly could've answered the bell for round 4, he was definitly rocked and his hand is probably broken, but he needs to be given the opportunity especially in a title fight.
He got the opportunity between rounds and he couldnt answer the bell.

yeah...cuz with 10 000+ fans screaming it's easy to hear the horn.....:thumbsdown:

Yamasaki just isn't a decisive referee...
He lets the fight continue after the knee... so it aint a premature stoppage.
Yet its a bad stoppage after taking the time to assess him between rounds to make sure Sherk is fit to continue?

Sherk gets a chance to recover... so what if he didnt hear the AIR HORN. The fact is, he got a chance to sit on his stool, in his corner, and let his team prep him for another round.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Leave s knee ,like that and he drops em head on? Look out for brains damgage. Also everyone seems to foret bout Sherks shit talk before the fight now it's refs fault and now Penn's the ashhole

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Crazy, I seem to recall Sherk taking 3-4 FLUSH knees to the jaw against Franca yet he never seemed to get fazed in the slightest, yet BJ hits ONE and Sherk is KTFO :confused02: Penn must hit real friggin hard then.

·
Resident Drunk
3,736 Posts
Crazy, I seem to recall Sherk taking 3-4 FLUSH knees to the jaw against Franca yet he never seemed to get fazed in the slightest, yet BJ hits ONE and Sherk is KTFO :confused02: Penn must hit real friggin hard then.
I really believe Penn is just that talented. Yes he hits hard, but he must use the perfect technique to generate such force in my opinion. A freaking Grand Master in my books. :laugh:

·
Banned
27 Posts

It really depends on where you hit the guy with the knee more than the force. It seemed to me that Bj hit flush in the right cheek jaw bone of Sherk. I don't recall where franca hit Sherk with his knee, but I vaguely remember him hitting sherk in the forehead (correct me if i'm wrong). That makes a HUGE difference.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.