Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
King Mo vs Mousasi: Lets be reality here

All Mo has going for him is wrestling, even if he manages to get gayguard down he will probably be submitted.Mousasi also has much crisper striking and more power behind his punches.

Mo really has no business even being in this match at all if coker wasnt so desperate to fill up a card this fight wouldnt be happening now..

When mousasi wins are people really going to use this fight as confirmation that mousasi is elite? when mo is less skilled than babulu/sokojou/kang?

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
no no no, I'm just being a little sarcastic. I was just wondering why you wouldn't want to see such a good fight. Mousasi fights Goodridge and no one complains, but now he fights a guy 300x as dangerous and people say he doesn't deserve it.

I'm stoked to watch King Mo always.

red dragons

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I am not sure, that Mousasi will just walk through King Mo.. but if he does, then that would be another very impressive victory for him.

The Wrestling background from King Mo could be a huge factor here. Mousasi doesn't have good enough TD defense to stop him.. but I don't believe Mo will stick to the obv. Gameplan! He will probably stand with him for quite some time, wich will be enough for Gegard :thumbsup:

I think thats a very dangerous fight for him!

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I already think he is a top 5 LHW skillwise but even if he destroys Mo he still remains the toughest guy to judge on a p4p scale since the UFC has almost every top LHW signed. I really don't understand him signing with strikeforce unless it is just for the frequency of pay with fighting in dream as well. The LHW tournament he is entering is filled with guys he already beat.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Few things King Mo has going for him: 6-inch reach advantage, and I would argue more power; although Mousasi is a more technically sound striker. Mo swings wildly at times. And if Mo's wrestling can keep Mousasi's striking off guard ala GSP vs Alves, Hardy,etc, then this fight could get interesting.

Mo seems to be the trendy underdog pick on this card, and I don't rule out the possibility of him getting Mousasi in some potentially bad positions, but I think Gegard pulls it out based on his better overall skillset and experience.

If Mo goes in there and tries to box, I think he'll get tooled unless he lands a haymaker. But if he goes in and fights a smart fight focused around his grappling base, he can certainly be competitive.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
All Mo has going for him is wrestling, even if he manages to get gayguard down he will probably be submitted.Mousasi also has much crisper striking and more power behind his punches.

Mo really has no business even being in this match at all if coker wasnt so desperate to fill up a card this fight wouldnt be happening now..

When mousasi wins are people really going to use this fight as confirmation that mousasi is elite? when mo is less skilled than babulu/sokojou/kang?
I think King Mo would beat the piss out of Sokojou... And his wrestling would put great threats against guys like Kang or Babulu.... I find this fight intersting, and yeah Mousasi has Way better hands but when it comes to power, all Mo has to do is get 1 lucky punch or a couple good clean GnP and its going to be over....

Will he get those shots, unlikely but im still interested to see it, especially for there selection of LHW's to choose from

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am not sure, that Mousasi will just walk through King Mo.. but if he does, then that would be another very impressive victory for him.

The Wrestling background from King Mo could be a huge factor here. Mousasi doesn't have good enough TD defense to stop him.. but I don't believe Mo will stick to the obv. Gameplan! He will probably stand with him for quite some time, wich will be enough for Gegard :thumbsup:

Good shout, I don't think Mousasi will walk through Mo one bit, I think he'll win but i'm not sure how possibly decision or sub as I dont really see him ko ing MO.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no no no, I'm just being a little sarcastic. I was just wondering why you wouldn't want to see such a good fight. Mousasi fights Goodridge and no one complains, but now he fights a guy 300x as dangerous and people say he doesn't deserve it.
Unbias mma fans did complain that the fight was insignificant because goodridge was/is a has been that never was.Yet gegard fans actually gushed over the win like it was some impressive achievement :confused05:

Sorry but what good is Mo's wrestling going to be if gegard over powers him in the clinch? how does he even get that close when mousasi has the advantage in the standup as well..Perhaps he might take mousasi down but like I already stated mousasi has jujitzu..All mo can do is hold on for dear life, which wont be for very long..

Like I said how can mo's wrestling be such an advantage in the fight if he aint refined in other areas like his opponent clearly is?

How can ppl say mousasi can hang with ufc elite in one breath then be impressed if he beats a relative prospect in another?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Unbias mma fans did complain that the fight was insignificant because goodridge was/is a has been that never was.Yet gegard fans actually gushed over the win like it was some impressive achievement :confused05:

Sorry but what good is Mo's wrestling going to be if gegard over powers him in the clinch? how does he even get that close when mousasi has the advantage in the standup as well..Perhaps he might take mousasi down but like I already stated mousasi has jujitzu..All mo can do is hold on for dear life, which wont be for very long..

Like I said how can mo's wrestling be such an advantage in the fight if he aint refined in other areas like his opponent clearly is?
Ummmm... Mousasi fans weren't celebrating that Goodridge victory. I seem to recall many pointing out it was a waste of a fight. (Just for a payday).

And how is Mousasi going to "over power" Mo??? He may EXECUTE better in the clinch, but I don't see him overpowering Mo anywhere.

Mo's wrestling + 6inch reach advantage may keep Gegard's striking at bay. If Mo eats leg kicks like he did against Whitehead then he's in for trouble, but if he shoots instead... could get interesting. Or he'll get triangled :thumb03:

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It is fairly evident by the way he crushes second and third tier guys he is a first tier LHW. The only thing to find out is where does he fit in amongst everyone else at that level.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Mo anywhere.

Mo's wrestling + 6inch reach advantage may keep Gegard's striking at bay. If Mo eats leg kicks like he did against Whitehead then he's in for trouble, but if he shoots instead... could get interesting. Or he'll get triangled :thumb03:
Sorry but what good is mo's reach when he has such a flawed striking technique with very little power behind punches? Whitehead was basically a sitting duck and it took him a while to make him pay
It is fairly evident by the way he crushes second and third tier guys he is a first tier LHW. The only thing to find out is where does he fit in amongst everyone else at that level.
This isnt that fight but i'm afraid once its said and done ppl will look at this win as further proof he can beat a shogun/machida

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Your questioning Mo's power is :sarcastic12::confused05:

Question his technique all you want.

And of course everyone knows and wants Mousasi to step it up, but for whatever reason he isn't. I'm disappointed myself. But he's young and is taking his good old time I guess, I dunno. That argument has been beaten do death already.

I hope Mousasi beats Mo as easily as you seem to assume he will.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Unbias mma fans did complain that the fight was insignificant because goodridge was/is a has been that never was.Yet gegard fans actually gushed over the win like it was some impressive achievement :confused05:Sorry but what good is Mo's wrestling going to be if gegard over powers him in the clinch? how does he even get that close when mousasi has the advantage in the standup as well..Perhaps he might take mousasi down but like I already stated mousasi has jujitzu..All mo can do is hold on for dear life, which wont be for very long..

How can ppl say mousasi can hang with ufc elite in one breath then be impressed if he beats a relative prospect in another?
A wrestler with bjj awareness is a grappler's worst nightmare, ask Frank Mir because the guy who man handled him on the ground has had less fights than King Mo.

Mousasi may well make light work of Mo, but Mo is such an athletically gifted fighter you just never know what might happen.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A wrestler with bjj awareness is a grappler's worst nightmare, ask Frank Mir because the guy who man handled him on the ground has had less fights than King Mo.
I hope u arent making some kind of comparisonbetween mo's inexperience and lesnar's.They could afford to throw lesnar into the frying pan because he has a distinct size/power advantage over the division.Mo doesnt have that.And what signs have you seen that has convinced you mo is a wrestler with bjj awareness :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Sorry but what good is Mo's wrestling going to be if gegard over powers him in the clinch?
Mousasi aint overpowering ANYTHING, he has the technical factor in this fight, not the power... And plus with King Mo's WORLD CLASS wrestling will NOT be overpowered in any Clinch the SF LHW division has to offer....

I cant wait to see how Mousasi handles his power though, but i guarantee he has NEVER fought someone with even close to the wrestling level and take downs King Mo has to offer...

But the problem is, thats ALL King Mo has to offer....

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
I would like to see Mousasi shut Mo's mouth, however I don't see that happening. Yes Mousasi has a solid ground game, great boxing, stays calm and composed - but his TDD isn't the best, regardless because when you're going against a world-class wrestler like Mo, you're TDD is meaningless. Not only that, but you have to remember that Mo has fought 4/6 fights at HW - and he has T/KO'd ALL FOUR of them, needless to say, he's got some serious power.

All I'm saying is that, Mo ain't much of an underdog and don't be surprised to see him connect and watch Mousasi crumble.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to Gegard "The Dreamcatcher" Mousasi facing Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.