Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who takes it?

1 - 20 of 710 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida facing Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I really think this rematch is foolish. The only reason anyone thought that Shogun did anything in that fight is because of the Rogan and Goldie. The entire fight they were talking up anything that Shogun did like he just knocked out Machida. I keep rewatching the fight and damage wise they might have done the same but Machida hit like 4 times more than Shogun. The only way Shogun wins this fight is if he KO's Machida. Not saying it is not a possibility but if it goes to decision again Machida will win again.

I like the first fight and the second should be a pretty good fight, it is just I was annoyed watching the replay when Machida lands a punch to Shogun's head and then a body kick and then another to the head and Shogun lands a leg kick and Rogan starts saying "Shogun really hurt Machida there!"

Hope the commentary is better this time around.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Shogun should be 100% by now so I am calling for him to slow Machida down with leg kicks in the early rounds so he can shoot in on him from the third on. Machida's ground game will get exposed here Shogun by submission in the fourth.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I'm calling Shogun by TKO in the fourth. He will slow Machida down again with leg kicks, rock him on his feet and end up in a mount position. This time he won't be so hesitant to step in. WAR SHOGUN!!!

Yeah, I'm calling stuff thanks to Sideways. :thumb02:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Machida by either a tko in round 4 or 5 or a UD.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
The only thing Shogun has over Machida are the leg kicks.
After the 1st fight one must expect that Machida won´t be surprised again, most probably he has been working on that,
so im pretty confident he will be dominant this time.

My Bet is on Machida by points again.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida facing Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.
I know Machida is a bit of a master of strategy, but I just got the feeling Shogun has his number and will win by tko/cut.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
SHogun by a KO, and lol at people who think that the only thing shogun has are leg kicks he is vicious striker.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm not about to call this, Machida is my boy, so obviously I'm hoping he wins and keeps the streak alive. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if Shogun won, they are both beastly. I think Machida won the last fight, and took a hell of a beating, something I think he doesn't get enough credit for.

I look for Machida to have worked on his conditioning, and plus with a healthy hand, who knows?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i dont have a clue which way this is gonna go, i will be happy with whoever wins i like both fighters. so exciting

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just cant decide.

Voted for Shogun 'cause I want him to win but this is tough fight to call... lets say Shogun by tko. And also think that Shogun has the edge on the ground. He survived and passed Lil Nogs guard so i think he can pound Machida from his guard fairly.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
I really think this rematch is foolish. The only reason anyone thought that Shogun did anything in that fight is because of the Rogan and Goldie. The entire fight they were talking up anything that Shogun did like he just knocked out Machida. I keep rewatching the fight and damage wise they might have done the same but Machida hit like 4 times more than Shogun. The only way Shogun wins this fight is if he KO's Machida. Not saying it is not a possibility but if it goes to decision again Machida will win again.
My God people who say this annoy the crap out of me! Where do you base this "four times as many" from?

According to Fightametric Machida landed slightly over HALF of what Shodun did, Shogun landed 82 strikes, Machida 42.(http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html)

And according to CompuStrike, Rua outlanded Machida 89-50 in Total Strikes. (http://www.compustrike.com/stats.ph...ategory_id=5&parent_id=5&arcyear=Y&arcmonth=M)

How can people possibly think this is a valid argument? Damage wise Shogun won, strikes landed Shogun won.

Shogun rightfully takes the belt home in this via TKO.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
My God people who say this annoy the crap out of me! Where do you base this "four times as many" from?

According to Fightametric Machida landed slightly over HALF of what Shodun did, Shogun landed 82 strikes, Machida 42.(http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html)

And according to CompuStrike, Rua outlanded Machida 89-50 in Total Strikes. (http://www.compustrike.com/stats.ph...ategory_id=5&parent_id=5&arcyear=Y&arcmonth=M)

How can people possibly think this is a valid argument? Damage wise Shogun won, strikes landed Shogun won.

Shogun rightfully takes the belt home in this via TKO.
I don't care what different sites say. I watched the fight and have it recorded and when I count each exchange I see Machida landing more hits. Obviously the judges thought so too. You could show me any site you want but all I have to do is point to who won and I feel ok. Yeah I thought Shogun landed harder and did more damage than any other Machida opponent but he still lost point wise in my opinion. I actually did not like Machida in that fight or a lot of his other fights but when I see the fight I see Machida winning.

Edit:
Ok just rewatched the fight (again). Machida :112 strikes
Shogun: 107
Round 1 M:24 S:21 M
Round 2 M:20 S:28 S
Round 3 M:35 S:20 M
Round 4 M:17 S:15 M Machida wins here.
Round 5 M:16 S:24 S

That was me going through and being very generous on a lot of strikes that are hitting Machida's arms and looks like he might be blocking them. this is also not taking into account that Machida hits Shogun's head a lot and Shogun hits Machida's body a lot.

Damage clearly goes to Shogun IMO but the fact is you can not tell how much damage a punch is. The score goes to Machida in total strikes landed. A lot of machida's strikes are little tiny taps but they still count as a strike in a judges mind. Proving my point that Machida will not be beat on points and that Shogun needs to KO Machida in order to win.

The reason I think that this is unjustified is because rogan was going crazy about anything Shogun did. Machida would land a punch to the head then a body kick and then another punch to the head and Shogun would land a leg kick and Rogan would yell Shogun really hurt Machida there! It annoys me to hear that.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
People that are calling out a win for Shogun because of leg kicks are my favorite comments LOL! There like 95% of the Shogun voters too... Thats awesome!

I think it will be a amazing fight, but nothing like the first one, and u would really have to be ignorant to think Machida isn't going to be Defensive and watching for the Leg Kicks the whole time, and Shogun also knows that, and most likely Machida will play his Counter Fighting style and not even worry about Leg Kicks lol...

I see Machida playing amazing Defense and letting Shogun feel the pressure of losing rounds, and Shogun will fall into the old Elusive Machida that will TKO him 4th or 5th round!

Machida by KO Via Head Kick! Its time to laugh at the Shogun lovers! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
People that are calling out a win for Shogun because of leg kicks are my favorite comments LOL! There like 95% of the Shogun voters too... Thats awesome!

I think it will be a amazing fight, but nothing like the first one, and u would really have to be ignorant to think Machida isn't going to be Defensive and watching for the Leg Kicks the whole time, and Shogun also knows that, and most likely Machida will play his Counter Fighting style and not even worry about Leg Kicks lol...

I see Machida playing amazing Defense and letting Shogun feel the pressure of losing rounds, and Shogun will fall into the old Elusive Machida that will TKO him 4th or 5th round!

Machida by KO Via Head Kick! Its time to laugh at the Shogun lovers! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
True, but I think Shogun will be utilizing some boxing into his gameplan this time, I just hope Machida does not get carried away by defending leg kicks and gets hit by punches, I know Machida is probably the most intelligent fighter in the UFC so hopefully that would be of no concern Machida's stand-up > Shogun's so the only way i can see Shogun winning is on ground which it might not even get to :p

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yeah, Shoguns team found a hole in his game. Now I am sure Machida worked on it and wount get caught. I wonder what new Shogun will bring to win.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's just hit me. Why the **** have we had to wait this long to see these guys fight again?
Because Machida needed surgery on his hand, and I believe he needed it before the fight, but held on till after. Also on another note These 2 aren't the only guys in the UFC so the fights have to be scheduled in place to play out.

1 - 20 of 710 Posts