Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who takes it?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Please conduct ALL of your discussion in regards to Matt Hughes taking on Ricardo 'Big Dog' Almeida at UFC 117 in this thread. All threads made in regards to this fight will be merged into this one.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As much as i think the almeida votes are out of hughes hate, i still think super chin won't win, hughes realizes his strengths, and we saw him destroy renzo as such, i doubt almeida will do much better.

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
As much as i think the almeida votes are out of hughes hate, i still think super chin won't win, hughes realizes his strengths, and we saw him destroy renzo as such, i doubt almeida will do much better.

I freely admit I hate Hughes passionately but he hasn't evolved as a fighter and comparing Renzo- a guy who hadn't fought in 3 years prior to that fight- to Almeida doesn't hold at all.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Almeida looked like mini Lasner on his 170 debut . He was so Strong and Explosive that i think he match with Hughes Strength.
add his Better Striking game and Nasty BJJ off his back and top postion i just don't see washed up Hughes bieng even a minor threat . Almeida RNC round 2 .

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
Ricardo Almeida will come at me hard -- he wants to be on top of me

"I think Ricardo will be hungry for this fight, I’ve beaten two Gracies and a teammate and, back about ten years ago, I beat Ricardo himself in a grappling match in Abu Dhabi. So on one hand he’s got a lot of motivation and on the other he sees what I just listed and knows I’m a threat. I think he will come at me hard and try to get me down to the ground somehow. He wants to be on top of me, but I’m sure if he’s on the ground he’ll be happier than on his feet."
http://www.mmamania.com/

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Yeah, who would wamt to stand and bang with the legendary stand-up of Matt Hughes... :sarcastic12:
True he's never been a stand up fighter however he has made a lot of progress in his striking and its not like Almeida's striking is top notch either. Speaking of this fight (as Matt was doing) Id say he dose have the advantage striking.

People can knock his striking all they want but the guy has gave us some very exciting fights so I dont know what there is to complain about.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I doubt Hughes has any confidence in his d level striking. But Matt is a little hard to understand at times so maybe he feels comfortable in this fight.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Man, if Hughes thinks anyone is afraid to stand with him he's retarded. That guy's standup is like a rock 'em sock 'em robot.

That being said, I didn't know Hughes beat Almeida in Abu Dhabi. That's pretty impressive. I'm consistently impressed with Hughes' grappling.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I doubt Hughes has any confidence in his d level striking. But Matt is a little hard to understand at times so maybe he feels comfortable in this fight.
LOlz...he said "D" level striking. Oh man that's harsh.

On that note if Almeida doesn't win it's gonna kill that whole camp's morale. I think Almeida will pull it though with a slick submission.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
First of all, the thread title sounds extremely erotic.

Second of all, Matt's striking isn't very good, and he doesn't have any power in his punches standing. This will more than likely be a ground fight, though, I just see it going that way.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts