Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you think fighters like Bas Rutten, Josh Barnett, Oleg Taktarov and Semmy Schilt in their prime and guys like Ernesto Hoost, Frank Lobman, Jerome Le Banner and Peter Aerts (if they learnt some wrestling ala Cro Cop) would fare in the UFC against current competition?

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
I think the sports has evaluated so much from their time that you can't compare. This guys were special during there time period but today guys are more skilled, bigger and stronger and faster than ever.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
They'd get demolished against anyone with decent takedowns and they'd destory most if not everyone on the feet.

I don't really get the point in comparing mainly K-1 fighters to the MMA fighters of today though.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Bas Rutten was/is a complete badass and in his prime we'd see him right at the top of the LHW or at HW.

His kicks are brutal. To the Lihverr!

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Bas Rutten was a bad as but he could not beat ken shamrock. But in today's world fighters are just to advance. I can't see Bas beating guys like Machida,Shogun, Evans, Brock,etc.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Royce vs Hughes.....my friend take a look. That's what happens when past meets present in this sport. For the millionth time......

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
If Bas was 10 years younger he'd definitely be a top 5 LHW imo.

Damn. Now all I can think about is Rutten vs Rua. Or Bas vs any other top LHW.
I don't see bas beating...Machida,rampage,evans,shogun,Jones, Silva...i can see him whooping randy, forrest etc. But i think the top 5 would be a long shot.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Bas Rutten was a bad as but he could not beat ken shamrock. But in today's world fighters are just to advance. I can't see Bas beating guys like Machida,Shogun, Evans, Brock,etc.
We're talking about pioneers of MMA vs fighters who have established and proven training and technique tailored for MMA. I think in the modern age Bas would have been capable of beating anyone at LHW.

ps. Shamrock was no joke in his prime.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
We're talking about pioneers of MMA vs fighters who have established and proven training and technique tailored for MMA. I think in the modern age Bas would have been capable of beating anyone at LHW.

ps. Shamrock was no joke in his prime.
Yes where talking about pioneers but were also talking about guys who has learned the pioneer stuff and took it to the next level. WOuld bas beable to beat shogun or machida on the ground? Would he beable to stand up with page or stop evans take down. Its hard to say because guys are constatly improving. Look at how BJJ was back then to now. THe gracies can't even dominate it right now. Its going to be scary to see the fighters in 15 years. Jon Jones is a perfect example of the evolution of fighters. He is by far more physically and athletically gifted than any pioneer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.