Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed from like UFC 1-30 they all entered under that one stupid song? Its annoying as heck. But the matches are awesome and better than the new UFC matches IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I watch UFC for the fights. I honestly could not give a sh&# about the music.
It kills me when people bash shamrock for going into wrestling and all the hype and then create a thread about what song someone came out to.
Who cares?? Not me thats for sure. Another thought I have about the old school ufc is: how many of the guys who are successful today would be able to fight three fights a night? Or go the long rounds? As much as I like Chuck I do not think he would be champion today if he had to fight three fights a night.
I think hughes could do it and maybe there are a couple others but things would be very different for sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread is not about the music its a thread talking about old school UFC from 1-30 back in the awesome days with Marco Ruas, Ken Shamrock, Oleg Taktarov, Tank Abbott, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, Mark Coleman, Maurice Smith, etc. And when Chuck Liddell opened shows not main evented them. And the matches were a lot more extreme back then. And Shamrock demolished his career by entering WWF.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,961 Posts
i dont really like the old fights, the mma was not as polished or well rounded, i almost feel like im watching an event at one of the small night club like shows of today..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
The fights of today and back than are too diffrent to compare there almost like diffrent sports. I like them both for diffrent reasons but I would have to say I enjoy watching the old ones more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The beatings back in the old days were amazing and would never happen today such as Pat Smith on Scott Morris. And back in the old days it was unpredictable who would win, everyone thought Mark Coleman would own Pete Williams, look what happened. Today it is so predictable and the matches are more boring.
 

·
The American Psycho
Joined
·
6,945 Posts
Rush said:
The beatings back in the old days were amazing and would never happen today such as Pat Smith on Scott Morris. And back in the old days it was unpredictable who would win, everyone thought Mark Coleman would own Pete Williams, look what happened. Today it is so predictable and the matches are more boring.
Maybe if Babalu and GSP take the titles, things will be a little less predicable? That's when things will start to get crazy!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know Georges will win but Babalu definitely has no chance against Chuck. Its so predictable with Georges on a streak beating some real contenders. Who has Babalu beat? Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen, Mike Van Arsdale? Those are classified as cans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Rush said:
I know Georges will win but Babalu definitely has no chance against Chuck. Its so predictable with Georges on a streak beating some real contenders. Who has Babalu beat? Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen, Mike Van Arsdale? Those are classified as cans.
good point however back to old school UFC, its true that you cant compair them and i to like the for differant reasons, i enjoy both the old fights and new the new fights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
MMA1990 said:
The fights of today and back than are too diffrent to compare there almost like diffrent sports. I like them both for diffrent reasons but I would have to say I enjoy watching the old ones more.

I feel the same way . except i would rather watch the new ones more :D
 

·
I eat babies
Joined
·
7,647 Posts
The old old ones were good because of the rules. Then you get to the middle ones like 15-30 and they are good too because it was a change and you got to see a lot more fighters. Then after Zuffa bought them out i don't think it got better, but it changed. I think I like watching the fights from about UFC20-UFC40 the most. The 30s were the best because you saw a lot more lightweights back then.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1-10 era: 8/10, very good era a lot of brutal knockouts and no holds barred matches. When UFC was famous like PRIDE today. When politicians weren't on their ass and wanted it banned. UFC 9 and 7 were also not so good.

The 10-20 era: 9/10, the only PPV I disliked during this era was number 11 but everything else was the same thing as 1-10. However it started to get banned and go on to satellite. It became way less popular then the early 90 days.

The 20-30 era: 3/10, not a very good era. Bad PPVS, very boring main events. No Kimo, Vitor, Marco, Ken, Frank, Royce, Maurice, Mark, or Don in this era except from 20-22. After 22 things got way too ridicolous! Boring era.

The 30-40 era: 7/10, they bounced back but it was still quite unknown UFC. But it had their best ever heavyweight division with guys like Randleman, Couture, Rizzo, Rodriguez, Schilt, Barnett, etc. UFC 36 and 39 were one of my all time favourite PPVs. The lightweight division was great too BJ Penn and Jens Pulver. UFC 38 and 37.5 were poor though.

The 40-50 era: 9/10, UFC becomes popular again due to UFC 40s spectacular card. Every PPV in this era was just amazing besides 42. UFC 46s main event was a bit dissapointing but the card was fantastic. I miss this era. One of my most favourite eras of the UFC.

The 50-60 era: 5/10, its becoming more and more popular but more and more worse. Worse cards, UFC 50 and 55. Badly organized. Not well thought up matches. UFC 51, 52, 53, 54, 57, 58, and 59 were agreeable but PPVs like 50, 55, and 56 were poor cards and people not deserving of title shots. I disliked this era.

The 60-now era: 6/10, UFC 60 was decent, UFC 61 had a great card but dissapointing main event. Like I said, things are getting worse. UFC 60 was good, UFC 61 was decent, UFC 62 looks like the worst PPV ever. We will wait and see but I am not liking UFC in this era.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,807 Posts
Rush said:
The 1-10 era: 8/10, very good era a lot of brutal knockouts and no holds barred matches. When UFC was famous like PRIDE today. When politicians weren't on their ass and wanted it banned. UFC 9 and 7 were also not so good.

The 10-20 era: 9/10, the only PPV I disliked during this era was number 11 but everything else was the same thing as 1-10. However it started to get banned and go on to satellite. It became way less popular then the early 90 days.

The 20-30 era: 3/10, not a very good era. Bad PPVS, very boring main events. No Kimo, Vitor, Marco, Ken, Frank, Royce, Maurice, Mark, or Don in this era except from 20-22. After 22 things got way too ridicolous! Boring era.

The 30-40 era: 7/10, they bounced back but it was still quite unknown UFC. But it had their best ever heavyweight division with guys like Randleman, Couture, Rizzo, Rodriguez, Schilt, Barnett, etc. UFC 36 and 39 were one of my all time favourite PPVs. The lightweight division was great too BJ Penn and Jens Pulver. UFC 38 and 37.5 were poor though.

The 40-50 era: 9/10, UFC becomes popular again due to UFC 40s spectacular card. Every PPV in this era was just amazing besides 42. UFC 46s main event was a bit dissapointing but the card was fantastic. I miss this era. One of my most favourite eras of the UFC.

The 50-60 era: 5/10, its becoming more and more popular but more and more worse. Worse cards, UFC 50 and 55. Badly organized. Not well thought up matches. UFC 51, 52, 53, 54, 57, 58, and 59 were agreeable but PPVs like 50, 55, and 56 were poor cards and people not deserving of title shots. I disliked this era.

The 60-now era: 6/10, UFC 60 was decent, UFC 61 had a great card but dissapointing main event. Like I said, things are getting worse. UFC 60 was good, UFC 61 was decent, UFC 62 looks like the worst PPV ever. We will wait and see but I am not liking UFC in this era.
yea you're right, ufc started out very strong in 2005 with ufc 51 and ufc 52, then ufc 53- ufc 56 were not very good cards at all and people didnt buy them, lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,961 Posts
Rush said:
I know Georges will win but Babalu definitely has no chance against Chuck. Its so predictable with Georges on a streak beating some real contenders. Who has Babalu beat? Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen, Mike Van Arsdale? Those are classified as cans.
rush he beat shogun, cant get any better than that..i know shogun is alot better now, but he was still good when babalu beat him
 

·
I eat babies
Joined
·
7,647 Posts
Rush said:
I know Georges will win but Babalu definitely has no chance against Chuck. Its so predictable with Georges on a streak beating some real contenders. Who has Babalu beat? Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen, Mike Van Arsdale? Those are classified as cans.

Georges' on a streak beating real contenders? With all do respect to GSP he's a fantastic fighter but his wins are not any better than Babalu's. Travis Wiuff, Chael Sonnen, and Mike Van Arsdale are all tough, good, experienced, and legitimate fighters. A couple you may have forgotten: Trevor Prangley, Shogun Hua, and Jeremy Horn ALL ON THE SAME NIGHT!. And Georges? Well a controversial win over an out-of-shape BJ Penn, Frank Trigg, Jason Miller, not as impressive. Sean Sherk is about the only NOTABLE win comparable to Babalu's list. Don't get me wrong, GSP is great and I think he'll beat Matt, but to say that Babalu has no chance and is predictable to lose and hasn't beaten any real contenders is just nonsense and tells me you don't know what you're talking about. Plus you say it constantly and that's the only reason I'm discussing it cuz I'm sick of reading your false unresearched comments:D

P.S.
Good job on that UFC era summary...I agree completely, except I liked the 30's more than any others. Remember the beat down Keith Hackney gave that fat mother****er Emmanuel Yarborough in UFC 3? I think that might have been the fight that turned me on to UFC fully, that was insane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
two words: Don Frye. He beat this big fat guy cant rememmebr the name but he was an island fighter. the guy was undefeated in a hundred fights and frye knocked him out the door. I was into it when it was going on and watchedit evolve. I admit I lost interest after vitor was less dominant and never like mark coleman, that guy gassed too easy. but in his early fights vitor was incredible. don frye was split like a melon against tank and pulled out a win. yeah those were the goood ole days. cant wait til they are out on dvd the first ones are but many are not from what i can tell and my vhs tapes are worn out.
I loves me some old school. I still ask how many guys from today could go three fights in an night?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top