Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The difference for Randi Miller came when a roommate put in a University of Iowa wrestling tape.

Before that, the daughter of a firefighter and public relations executive didn't feel like she was reaching her potential in female wrestling after starting the sport as a senior at her Texas high school, where the sport was more accepted for girls.

She was skilled, but she wasn't feeling her best while practicing one step below the main Olympic Training Center. She just felt sluggish, like she wasn't progressing.

Then the boost to her wrestling career – and the motivation that continues to help her train for the beginning of her mixed-martial-arts career – came in the form of a highlight tape from the wrestling roommate.

"It was a documentary on the program," Miller told MMAjunkie.com. "It was about their philosophy and how they viewed matches, and it just changed a lot for me. I saw things totally differently after that, and I was ready to commit myself more."

In the five years since, Miller has become one of the world's best female wrestlers, climbing as far as a bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics. While she hopes to continue that career, she's also beginning a new one.

After serious MMA-focused training for the past six weeks following years of dabbling, Miller hopes to secure her first professional fight by the fall. Once she begins her MMA career, Miller will be one of the most unique athletes in the sport because she will also be an international competitor in wrestling.

But Miller wants fans to know that she isn't beginning MMA because she's bored or because she's just trying to fill time in between wrestling commitments.

"My goal is to be a champion in both," Miller said. "I really think I can do that."
Full Story Here - http://mmajunkie.com/news/20092/fig...campaign=Feed:+mmajunkie+(MMAjunkie.com+Feed)

Could she become something in MMA?? I think she can... if she dedicates herself to it i might actually pick her over Cyborg. To make a educated pick i would need to know more about her though.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
could be a very interesting idea for the female ranks of MMA, if one Olympian successfully makes the jump into MMA then others may follow, not just wrestlers ether many some female boxers will follow suit, could make the female ranks a lot more interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Female Olympian wrestler making debut in MMA? Hell yeah, I'm interested! I'm not exactly watching womens' MMA religiously, but I don't think I've ever seen a top notch wrestler dominating her opponent with some ground and pound. I hope Strikeforce picks her up along the line (if she actually wins matches that is).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts