Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep hearing moaning comments from a friend, who claims she has an unusual metabolism making it very difficult or her to loose weight.

I have always read and been told by personal trainers and nutritionists thatin order to loose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat.

It is in other words extremely simple. To be fully motivated an dedicated to a diet and tough exercise, when you aren't comfortable with your body, must be tough.

However, I doubt that metabolism can play such a big role.

Please be kind to share your insight and correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite a bit mate, I suffer with this, look at a mars bar and put on weight, but 9/10 times it's all about discipline if you eat right exercise and get the right amount of sleep, it'll come off will just take a little bit longer than most bud.
If not see a doctor.

OK man, so is it due to a hormonal inbalance of some sort? Is that something you can treat with a pharmaceutical?

How have you dealt with this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personnaly, I think metabolism is crucial, u can help your metabolism by eating 6-8 times a day (small portions) eat as soon as you wake up, drink plenty of water, avoid everything that slows down the metabolism like alcool and train,train,train, after a while you will notice that you can eat pizza once a week and your body will burn extra cals, dont abuse of it and keep your eating and trainning routine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK man, so is it due to a hormonal inbalance of some sort? Is that something you can treat with a pharmaceutical?

How have you dealt with this?
Hormonal imbalance is surely one of the reasons for the low metabolism, apart form this age, body surface area, body fat level, genetic factor, diet imbalance, muscle tissue, nervous disorders, dieting or fasting, stress and drugs are the other reasons.

There are plenty of treatments for this which ranges from the ones that you can have it at the home to the medicines prescribed by a doctor. It is always better to consult a doctor for this. The common treatments for this would include following a strict regime of the exercise, drinking lots of water, and eating meals at a regular interval. Hope that this helps you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Daily you can eat dailylow-fat milk-dairy products in eating through that products you can easily lose your weight.You can eat fresh fruits and green vegetables. If you need to lose weight, choose a well balanced diet food such as Weight Watchers, rather than a fad diet. Earlt in the morning Daily you can perform good exercises.Mostly eat fruits and vegetables that are currently available in-season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's said that people are predisposed to fall within a certain metabolic range. Of course, metabolism can be raised or lowered through diet and exercise.

However, my family all seem to be very fit and athletic, yet I have to diet just to maintain my weight. My 50-something-year-old father recently made it into the army reserve under the fitness classification required for 20-year-olds. He's weighed the same for the past 15 years. Very frustrating. I think the most I've ever lost at a time from concientious diet and exercise is 5 lbs in a month.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Personnaly, I think metabolism is crucial, u can help your metabolism by eating 6-8 times a day (small portions) eat as soon as you wake up, drink plenty of water, avoid everything that slows down the metabolism like alcool and train,train,train, after a while you will notice that you can eat pizza once a week and your body will burn extra cals, dont abuse of it and keep your eating and trainning routine!
Agreed.

Increasing your frequency basically keeps your body from falling back into 'famine' mode where it thinks its gotta store energy for later... the more food/nutrients are readily available when u exercise, the less chance your body will ever want to store it up for later.

Caloric Output > Input ...still applies, but the input is just distributed throughout the day... and provided mostly when the body needs the energy for repairs ie. within 3 hours of an intense workout.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agreed.

Increasing your frequency basically keeps your body from falling back into 'famine' mode where it thinks its gotta store energy for later... the more food/nutrients are readily available when u exercise, the less chance your body will ever want to store it up for later.

Caloric Output > Input ...still applies, but the input is just distributed throughout the day... and provided mostly when the body needs the energy for repairs ie. within 3 hours of an intense workout.

yup,... also, when maintaining a low caloric diet it is good to shock the body once in a while so it doesn't get used to low energy foods. This means it is good to have a cheat day... maybe once every 3-4 weeks where you just eat what you want.... but to a degree..

cheat days should be incorporated after you have lost a considerable amount of weight...you dont want to have cheat days when you are just starting out a diet program

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
yup,... also, when maintaining a low caloric diet it is good to shock the body once in a while so it doesn't get used to low energy foods. This means it is good to have a cheat day... maybe once every 3-4 weeks where you just eat what you want.... but to a degree..

cheat days should be incorporated after you have lost a considerable amount of weight...you dont want to have cheat days when you are just starting out a diet program
A cheat day once a week is ok in my opinion. It helps in more ways than you'd think. When youre constantly telling yourself "i cant eat this or that" youre gonna want it more, so leaving it for 3 - 4 weeks is gonna be difficult for people starting out. They'll likely end up cheating on a regular basis. If they only have to wait 6 days for that cheat day, theyre more likely to push through the cravings and wait.

As long as your regular diet is nutritionally sound, and your workout regime is well balanced, a cheat day once a week wont make much difference at all, if any.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How much can a genetically inherited "bad" metabolism affect weight loss?
Many people have an issue with weight and blame their genetics but did you know that it's not your genetics that's the the problemf? It's your understanding of your genetics that's the issue. You need to eat according to your genetics. Here's what I mean... my brother and I are incredibly fit...we both are martial artists and weight lifters...we walk around naturally without dieting between 185 and 190 pounds...at 6 to 8 % body fat. But....we both eat completely different.

He can eat potatoes, pasta, bread... no problem with weight...if I eat that I get bloated and my bodyfat percentage increases...

I can eat sweets, cakes, anything with sugar...no problem...if he does then his bodyfat percentage increases.

Even though we are brothers our genetics are different. Through research I realized that my bloodtype is O...and there are simply things I should not eat based on this.

You should research metabolic typing and eating for your bloodtype. You can google it and you will find a ton of information explaining the concept.

Good luck

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have no real knowledge of the science behind metabolism.

I know for a fact that when I was in high-school I could never gain any kind of weight....yet I took in nearly 5 thousand calories/day.

Back 6-years ago I was involved in cross-country, in under 3-hours my body would absorb 4 school meals plus 2 cartons of milk.

At this time, I was 5 foot 9 and 140-45 with less than 7 percent fat.

No matter what I did would gain weight.

Now for my regimen change, I started in January of this year.

I cut out any form of junk-food for an entire month, while enduring a extreme series of self-made workouts.

If anything I have gained a slight-knowledge into metabolism by now. During the 1st 45-days I started cutting fat fairly rapidly along with toning. I do not know how I accomplished the feat of toning and cutting fat while maintaining an overall weight range of 173-75 during that 1st period.

After this 45-day period, I started to drop fairly rapidly.

It may seem like a fair amount of time now, but from jan to now I've dropped to 158-pounds 17-pounds.

I now am 5 foot 11....158 with around 10% fat.

For me the metabolism is key.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.