Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Has won 5 consecutive matches including some amateur fights. Think he could maybe get a shot on TUF? I thought it was an interesting story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_arU5Lz6ps&feature=fvw

Crappy vid but here's his 1st pro fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3BldQTovLE
Good story; I always enjoy hearing thing like this.

That being said, he wouldn't stand a chance against top level talent. It's best to let him live his dream against less competitive fighters.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yeah cool story but I hope he does not get onto TUF. The sad story is not enough to ignore that he has no chance in the UFC. That and then the UFC will get viewed upon as beating up a crippled person. I think the guy is cool and deserves some serious respect.

·
Dr. Krav...nose, throat, and groin.
530 Posts
Mad respect. BUT...I'd honeslty like to hear from HIM. Does he think he could hang with top level talent (by which I mean ANYONE in the UFC...even the "scrubs" are in the major leagues!)? Does he honestly believe he could, or would he just not back down from a fight? The scond, while comendable, wouldn't be enough to justify him getting a shot. If he really thinks he could do it...I'd love to see him succeed, even if at lower levels of the TUF/UFC world. Against the TOP of the UFC, well...prove you can hang with the pros, then maybe....but these are all hypotheticals, and HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
i would never tell some one they cant do anything career wise, but i think it would look a little bad for this sport if someone was beating on him badly during a fight. I wouldnt see anything wrong with it, but i can see how the people who want this sport banned would portray this situation.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i would never tell some one they cant do anything career wise, but i think it would look a little bad for this sport if someone was beating on him badly during a fight. I wouldnt see anything wrong with it, but i can see how the people who want this sport banned would portray this situation.
Most fighters wouldn't even accept a fight like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mad respect. BUT...I'd honeslty like to hear from HIM. Does he think he could hang with top level talent (by which I mean ANYONE in the UFC...even the "scrubs" are in the major leagues!)? Does he honestly believe he could, or would he just not back down from a fight? The scond, while comendable, wouldn't be enough to justify him getting a shot. If he really thinks he could do it...I'd love to see him succeed, even if at lower levels of the TUF/UFC world. Against the TOP of the UFC, well...prove you can hang with the pros, then maybe....but these are all hypotheticals, and HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO.
^^ exactly, i dont see this guy competing with top fighters but it is still a story that deserves respect

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to see him get a shot at TUF. He's a pretty good wrestler and as we've seen in a lot of TUF fights the guy with the better cardio beats more talented fighters. I'd almost guarantee that he'd be the hardest worker in the house and him just bein on it might bring some new viewers. The shorter arm has an elbow that he can use with some success looking at the fight video. It also has a bend to it so he could grapple somewhat with it. It's not like he's missing his legs and arms like the guy a while back. I'm all for Dana giving him a shot:thumb02:

·
Registered
60 Posts
For anyone fighting this guy its a no-win situation.

If you win then you get accused of beating up disabled people.
If you lose then you get laughed at for getting beat by a guy with one arm.

Regardless of what level your at: pro, semi-pro or even just amatuer then taking a fight against this guy is a bad idea..

Yes he deserves respect but its a freak show at the end of the day.

If Dana had any sense then he would stay well clear off this guy.. Its a no-win situation for everyone involved.. (apart from the one armed guy that is)

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Dustin Carter has no arms and no legs. Apparently, he's an accomplished collegiate wrestler. He made a run at MMA, but the fight didn't turn out well.

Mad respect for the effort, but man. In all seriousness, a reach advantage is one thing, but a whole limb advantage is like having your chin exposed halfway at ALL TIMES. Mad respect though, just not likely success in MMA.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Has won 5 consecutive matches including some amateur fights. Think he could maybe get a shot on TUF? I thought it was an interesting story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_arU5Lz6ps&feature=fvw

Crappy vid but here's his 1st pro fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3BldQTovLE
If you type in the tag "hole in one" while the "one-armed" videos are up at the side of the page, you'll likely come across my daughter. She has the EXACT same limb deficiency as this guy, and she got a hole in one at a local country club last summer.

It isn't usually congenital, it's more often out of nowhere. The proper diagnostic term is "transverse partial hemimelia" which is merely descriptive. The only things known for sure to cause it are Dilantin, which I never took, and some chemical in the waters off Norway, where I've never been.

"One-armed" is a misnomer, as you'll see he gets plenty of use out of what is usually referred to as the residual limb.

My daughter is athletic, but doesn't like combat sports. She has done ballet, gymnastics, ice skated for 4 years, tennis, and now at 15 has settled on soccer and running.

It's awesome to see this guy kick so much ass. IDK if there's much chance of him fighting top tier talent, but he's a role model to many aspiring fighters, limb deficient or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dustin Carter has no arms and no legs. Apparently, he's an accomplished collegiate wrestler. He made a run at MMA, but the fight didn't turn out well.

Mad respect for the effort, but man. In all seriousness, a reach advantage is one thing, but a whole limb advantage is like having your chin exposed halfway at ALL TIMES. Mad respect though, just not likely success in MMA.

Thanks for the vids dude (repped) but I cant believe that the fight was allowed to go ahead..
It was really uncomfortable to watch:(

How was he hoping to win??
He cant really strike, he cant really do any decent leg locks, armbars, choke holds etc..
How the hell was that guy expecting to compete??

And what kind of man would get in a cage with a man with no arms or legs and proceed to beat him up:confused02:

That kind of freak show has no place in proffesional sport..
Why not have a disabled version of UFC just like we have the paralympics..

But seriously, that vid I quoted has left a very sour taste in my mouth:(
Everyone involved with that should hang their heads in shame!

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
You can tell the guy fighting wasnt taking it seriously all he would have to do is hold and punch.....It was probably the guys wish to compete.....And Sweep I didnt know that about the Swplet. I bet she takes after her mom and kicks ass!!!! as far as the op The guy has heart thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Thanks for the vids dude (repped) but I cant believe that the fight was allowed to go ahead..
It was really uncomfortable to watch:(

How was he hoping to win??
He cant really strike, he cant really do any decent leg locks, armbars, choke holds etc..
How the hell was that guy expecting to compete??

And what kind of man would get in a cage with a man with no arms or legs and proceed to beat him up:confused02:

That kind of freak show has no place in proffesional sport..
Why not have a disabled version of UFC just like we have the paralympics..

But seriously, that vid I quoted has left a very sour taste in my mouth:(
Everyone involved with that should hang their heads in shame!
I see what you're saying, but in all fairness, there was quite a bit of controversy preceding the fight. The fight wasn't something that was easily allowed. I recall there was heavy petitioning & support for this guy and lots of debate over the exact notion you discussed, including the controversy of who he would fight, if he fought. Everything & anything, regarding challenges, shortcomings and obvious questions were debated in length.

In the end, the heavy petitioning and support this guy received resulted in this fight to proceed. In the end, I think most people were left with a bad taste, all except Dustin himself. He's a strong willed character and I think he's currently a Cross-Fit trainer down in TX, but I could be off about the particular state.

I give the guy props for his heart, but following the fight, most people brought up the same questions as you did. How was he expecting to win? Nonetheless, he certainly works with what he has and remains relatively active in the Cross-Fit scene.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No way should he ever make it into the UFC.

How many one legged soccer players do you see playin in the world cup or the playoffs or whatever soccer calls them? How many one armed goalies?

Any midget football players? I assume you can see where I'm going with this.

·
Invictus Maneo
983 Posts
I've seen nick fight and he is a tough kid, I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger promotion picks him up, I do think the UFC will stay away from someone like him though just because certain people will be all up in arms about a guy who can't trully defend himself with one arm or something...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.