Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

One armed fighter Nick Newell

3K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  vilify 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Mad respect. BUT...I'd honeslty like to hear from HIM. Does he think he could hang with top level talent (by which I mean ANYONE in the UFC...even the "scrubs" are in the major leagues!)? Does he honestly believe he could, or would he just not back down from a fight? The scond, while comendable, wouldn't be enough to justify him getting a shot. If he really thinks he could do it...I'd love to see him succeed, even if at lower levels of the TUF/UFC world. Against the TOP of the UFC, well...prove you can hang with the pros, then maybe....but these are all hypotheticals, and HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO.

#5 ·
i would never tell some one they cant do anything career wise, but i think it would look a little bad for this sport if someone was beating on him badly during a fight. I wouldnt see anything wrong with it, but i can see how the people who want this sport banned would portray this situation.

#8 ·
I would love to see him get a shot at TUF. He's a pretty good wrestler and as we've seen in a lot of TUF fights the guy with the better cardio beats more talented fighters. I'd almost guarantee that he'd be the hardest worker in the house and him just bein on it might bring some new viewers. The shorter arm has an elbow that he can use with some success looking at the fight video. It also has a bend to it so he could grapple somewhat with it. It's not like he's missing his legs and arms like the guy a while back. I'm all for Dana giving him a shot:thumb02:

#9 ·
For anyone fighting this guy its a no-win situation.

If you win then you get accused of beating up disabled people.
If you lose then you get laughed at for getting beat by a guy with one arm.

Regardless of what level your at: pro, semi-pro or even just amatuer then taking a fight against this guy is a bad idea..

Yes he deserves respect but its a freak show at the end of the day.

If Dana had any sense then he would stay well clear off this guy.. Its a no-win situation for everyone involved.. (apart from the one armed guy that is)

#10 ·
Dustin Carter has no arms and no legs. Apparently, he's an accomplished collegiate wrestler. He made a run at MMA, but the fight didn't turn out well.

Mad respect for the effort, but man. In all seriousness, a reach advantage is one thing, but a whole limb advantage is like having your chin exposed halfway at ALL TIMES. Mad respect though, just not likely success in MMA.

#13 ·
Dustin Carter has no arms and no legs. Apparently, he's an accomplished collegiate wrestler. He made a run at MMA, but the fight didn't turn out well.

Mad respect for the effort, but man. In all seriousness, a reach advantage is one thing, but a whole limb advantage is like having your chin exposed halfway at ALL TIMES. Mad respect though, just not likely success in MMA.

Thanks for the vids dude (repped) but I cant believe that the fight was allowed to go ahead..
It was really uncomfortable to watch:(

How was he hoping to win??
He cant really strike, he cant really do any decent leg locks, armbars, choke holds etc..
How the hell was that guy expecting to compete??

And what kind of man would get in a cage with a man with no arms or legs and proceed to beat him up:confused02:

That kind of freak show has no place in proffesional sport..
Why not have a disabled version of UFC just like we have the paralympics..

But seriously, that vid I quoted has left a very sour taste in my mouth:(
Everyone involved with that should hang their heads in shame!

#11 ·
If you type in the tag "hole in one" while the "one-armed" videos are up at the side of the page, you'll likely come across my daughter. She has the EXACT same limb deficiency as this guy, and she got a hole in one at a local country club last summer.

It isn't usually congenital, it's more often out of nowhere. The proper diagnostic term is "transverse partial hemimelia" which is merely descriptive. The only things known for sure to cause it are Dilantin, which I never took, and some chemical in the waters off Norway, where I've never been.

"One-armed" is a misnomer, as you'll see he gets plenty of use out of what is usually referred to as the residual limb.

My daughter is athletic, but doesn't like combat sports. She has done ballet, gymnastics, ice skated for 4 years, tennis, and now at 15 has settled on soccer and running.

It's awesome to see this guy kick so much ass. IDK if there's much chance of him fighting top tier talent, but he's a role model to many aspiring fighters, limb deficient or not.

#14 ·
You can tell the guy fighting wasnt taking it seriously all he would have to do is hold and punch.....It was probably the guys wish to compete.....And Sweep I didnt know that about the Swplet. I bet she takes after her mom and kicks ass!!!! as far as the op The guy has heart thats for sure.

#18 ·
No way should he ever make it into the UFC.

How many one legged soccer players do you see playin in the world cup or the playoffs or whatever soccer calls them? How many one armed goalies?

Any midget football players? I assume you can see where I'm going with this.

#22 ·
So I guess your saying anyone with a disability can fight??? I guess next we will have a deaf guy in the UFC...O we already do? lol I look at it this way Nick Newell has half an arm....that takes away some strikes...but it also takes away a sub from the guy hes fighting...I doubt you can pop an arm bar on Nicks short arm. People want to feel sorry for him. I bet the guy we just saw Nick kicking the shit out of didnt feel sorry for him!!!!

#20 ·
I've seen nick fight and he is a tough kid, I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger promotion picks him up, I do think the UFC will stay away from someone like him though just because certain people will be all up in arms about a guy who can't trully defend himself with one arm or something...

#28 ·
I've seen nick fight and he is a tough kid, I wouldn't be surprised if a bigger promotion picks him up, I do think the UFC will stay away from someone like him though just because certain people will be all up in arms about a guy who can't trully defend himself with one arm or something...
LOL. That pun was put in on purpose wasn't it?

I'd have no problem with the guy getting into the UFC if he proved himself good enough and was capable of beating top tier fighters. Whether or not his disability will prevent him from doing that is yet to be seen. Be interesting to see how he goes in his Pro career.

Reactions: avengedsixfold
#23 ·
People, you're absolutely insane if you think a one armed man can make it at the top tier of MMA. Let him stay in the smaller org's where he can beat up people probably too afraid of hurting a one armed man.

I know we all love to think everyone can make it or overcome every obstacle but that's just fantasy. What's next, a man in a wheel chair trying to fight in MMA?

I'm glad he can fight and am not taking away the work he puts in, but at the same time it seems to me many of you have an over romanticized view of the disable or handicapped.

Being deaf does not equal missing a limb, the two can't even be compared

#25 ·
Ok dude we get your point!

Personally I think it's great he's competing, the decision should be his. Surely if he's going to be competative only then would his gym let him fight. As to how far he can go I doubt he'd make the UFC but that is only because it is such elite athletes and fighters.

If he gets loses a lot then call it day but if he keeps winning then he should keep going and see how far he can go!

A question to people, if he was to build a record up that warranted being in the UFC would you object to watching him/having him compete?

Anyway I compete in Muay Thai and my right hand ends at the wrist and its never been much of a hindrance for me! :thumb02:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.