Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched Overeem smash Rogers and was trying to imagine him in the UFC. Does anyone know if he's ever been close to going there? Has Dana shown any interest in signing him lately?

How do people think he would do against Brock, Carwin, Cain and JDS?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think it's tough because Overeem loves fighting a lot, and now is fighting in K-1. Doubt zuffa would let him fight overseas while under UFC contract.

As for the guys you mentioned, I think Overeem can beat all of them easily except Brock; that would be a great fight, I wouldn't know who to pick.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just watched Overeem smash Rogers and was trying to imagine him in the UFC. Does anyone know if he's ever been close to going there? Has Dana shown any interest in signing him lately?

How do people think he would do against Brock, Carwin, Cain and JDS?
I know after the Chuck fight, and after he left Pride he had talks with UFC as Dana was interested, but talks fell through and went to Strikeforce.
He can hang with any of the top guys striking, but may struggle against strong bjj guys IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I think he can be top 5, he stands a chance against the other fighters as every fighter has a punchers chance. I dont think he will be able to last long against Brock Lesnar though, Its kind of the same situation Carwin is in, Hit him before you get taken down within the first 30 seconds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know after the Chuck fight, and after he left Pride he had talks with UFC as Dana was interested, but talks fell through and went to Strikeforce.
He can hang with any of the top guys striking, but may struggle against strong bjj guys IMO.
Your probably right. Overeem has been around for awhile, his brother as well, I'm sure they have talked to the UFC guys a few times.

I have a funny feeling Overeem will go to the UFC if he beats Fedor. He is that type of guy, but I think he really wants to win the K-1 GP at least once in his life, because as a dutch man its like winning the super bowl.

K-1 GP > UFC heavyweight title

We shall see

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think that Overeem would be a top striker in the UFC heavyweight division for sure. I am not sure that he would hold the title, but I think that he would definitely make the division that much more interesting. Also, Dana would have none of him fighting elsewhere for years either so that would be a non-issue.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I don't see Overeem being much more than a gatekeeper. I don't think he can beat Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, JDS, or Mir. He destroy an overrated one punch wonder like Rogers, but that's about it. He can beat guys like Kongo, Gonzaga, and Struve.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
First Brett Rogers has ZERO balance, the guy tips over if anyone touches him the wrong way (Not to discredit his raw punching power). Here's how you get a takedown on Brett Rogers, engage and push him a little - bam to the canvas.

I haven't seen Overeem as a HW - a JDS vs Overeem would certainly be interesting.

From watching Overeem in his lighter fighting days, once he gets tagged once or twice he just starts backing off and gives up - NO HEART, NO WARRIOR in him, especially if it's from an unfavorable position on the ground - he quits. Then he gets destroyed. I don't know if he's a changed as an MMA fighter in terms of heart, but I can see him top 5 HW in UFC.

Also, the roid thing for Overeem is very uncalled for - I watched a few interviews, hell if I wanted to add 40 lbs of lean mass the way he did, I could do it no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
JDS > Overeem

Watched these two fights:

Cro Cop VS Overeem in 08 (youtube)
Cro Cop VS Junior Del Santos in 09 (UFC 103 Franklin-Belfort)

Cro Cop looked the same caliber, speed, and footwork before the exchanges began. Overeem and JDS were beating Cro Cop in almost pure kickboxing matches. Except JDS was CLEARLY CLEARLY more dominant against Cro Cop after real trading began.

Plus JDS, training at Black House under guys like Anderson Silva and the Nogs. I rank Overeem like #6 MMA HW, just behind behind Frank Mir.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Right now the hype train of Overeem is at top speed. Before that fight with Rogers many people were saying he was overrated. Rogers is as one dimensional as they get. These young HW's coming up are to good, to young, and to dedicated. I am not saying Overee can not make waves in the UFC I am just saying he would not be as dominant as he has been.

Reactions: The Horticulturist

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Right now the hype train of Overeem is at top speed. Before that fight with Rogers many people were saying he was overrated. Rogers is as one dimensional as they get. These young HW's coming up are to good, to young, and to dedicated. I am not saying Overee can not make waves in the UFC I am just saying he would not be as dominant as he has been.
overeem would destory most, he is very good on the ground, and is a better striker than everyone in any div. he is also very dedicated

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Watched these two fights:

Cro Cop VS Overeem in 08 (youtube)
Cro Cop VS Junior Del Santos in 09 (UFC 103 Franklin-Belfort)

Cro Cop looked the same caliber, speed, and footwork before the exchanges began. Overeem and JDS were beating Cro Cop in almost pure kickboxing matches. Except JDS was CLEARLY CLEARLY more dominant against Cro Cop after real trading began.

Plus JDS, training at Black House under guys like Anderson Silva and the Nogs. I rank Overeem like #6 MMA HW, just behind behind Frank Mir.
overeem would destory most, he is very good on the ground, and is a better striker than everyone in any div. he is also very dedicated

Nice highlight video, his subs are against cans.

But in terms of relativity as a 250lbs HW, JDS was far more dominant a striker against Cro Cop than Overeem... That's the most we have to go on. Plus JDS is younger and trains with arguably the best MMA BJJ big men in the world at Blackhouse.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Nice highlight video, his subs are against cans.

But in terms of relativity as a 250lbs HW, JDS was far more dominant a striker against Cro Cop than Overeem... That's the most we have to go on. Plus JDS is younger and trains with arguably the best MMA BJJ big men in the world at Blackhouse.
overeem's won the european ADCC championships, he is also the only person to sub vitor belfort, in the 2001 absolute div. vitor beat genki sudo on pts, than ricco rodreguez on pts an than lost to ricardo arona on points. he's gullotine is second to none. JDS only uses his hands effectively while Ubereem uses everything effectively.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
overeem's won the european ADCC championships, he is also the only person to sub vitor belfort, in the 2001 absolute div. vitor beat genki sudo on pts, than ricco rodreguez on pts an than lost to ricardo arona on points. he's gullotine is second to none. JDS only uses his hands effectively while Ubereem uses everything effectively.
Just watched Vitor vs Overeem hell of a fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozU8l_FLBPU

It was pretty even striking, with Overeem with a slick Guilotine to end it.

I still take JDS with greater KO power on his resume and great escapability and knocking guys out. I still take what have they done lately, it's a slight edge for JDS IMO. JDS hasn't ever been put on the ground and he still does have BJJ brown belt with Black House peeps, that counts for a lot. I'd pay to watch that fight.

Time will tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts