Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than working the shoulders and upper back what effect does this lift have in relation to training for fighting?

·
Registered
607 Posts
It is a very good core exercise. You keep your spine aligned and force your breathe out when you push up, it really works your core. Also, if you incorporate some sort of push press, the leg drive will help with your overall explosiveness. If you want to take weight training for fighting seriously I would advise you to look into the olympic lifts.

·
'Man of Stone'
430 Posts
Other than working the shoulders and upper back what effect does this lift have in relation to training for fighting?
Instead of doing just normal military presses/shoulder presses try to start out doing a dead lift, transition the dead lift to a power clean and then to a military press(in front neck). Olympic movements and combined exercises like this will help a ton for explosiveness. (Just an suggestion)

Fight specifically I can't think of anything that it might benefit more than the other but you can never be "too strong" for MMA unless you are sacrificing explosive strength and power for it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Instead of doing just normal military presses/shoulder presses try to start out doing a dead lift, transition the dead lift to a power clean and then to a military press(in front neck). Olympic movements and combined exercises like this will help a ton for explosiveness. (Just an suggestion)

Fight specifically I can't think of anything that it might benefit more than the other but you can never be "too strong" for MMA unless you are sacrificing explosive strength and power for it.
I completely agree that oly lifts are hands down the best for explosiveness, but at the same time, I think one would need to seek out proper instruction in these lifts to be at all successful.

OP if you can find someone who is a competent Olympic lifter, ask for help in learning the c&j and snatch, but please please please dont teach yourself the lift, or if you do, video tape it for criticism.

·
Das Übermensch
7,633 Posts

You can't really transition from a deadlift to a powerclean... that's just a powerclean. You can do a deadlift to a hang clean, though, but if it's just one movement then it's considered a pwoerclean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts