Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek051110

One split-second lapse in judgment, that’s all it took to divert Paul Daley from the yellow brick road to a dusty road to nowhere.

In losing to Josh Koscheck at UFC 113, Daley also lost his opportunity to capture a spot as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter” and get the next shot at Georges St-Pierre’s UFC welterweight championship. In lashing out at Koscheck after the fight, Daley also threw his entire fighting career into limbo.

He’s keenly aware of the situation he put himself in, already apologizing to the UFC, Koscheck, and his fans for his lapse, accepting full responsibility for his actions.

“I know people will make a big deal about what Koscheck said to me after the fight, but that didn’t play a factor. He said I was a (expletive) and that I couldn’t get up and whatever. I think he is just trying to make a bad situation worse,” Daley told MMAWeekly.com Monday morning.

Now he’s left to wonder what his career options will be when the smoke clears.

With tempers running high after the bout, and Daley already on his way to the airport, still frustrated with the turn of events, he received a text message from matchmaker Joe Silva informing him of UFC president Dana White’s comments after the fight, announcing his release from the organization.

“He’s done. I don’t give a (expletive) if he’s the best 170-pounder in the world. He’ll never come back here again. He’ll never come back,” said White.

“Aside from (Silva’s text), I have had no other contact with the UFC,” he exclaimed, adding that he just has to learn how to relax and deal with his own frustrations moving forward.

“At the moment my main concern is the athletic commission. I don’t know what will happen there, but I guess I will find out this week. I just wish none of this ever happened. I am truly sorry to the fans, the UFC, and my opponent.”

There is a consensus from many fans that his immediate release is in direct reflection to the lack of a penalty applied to the Strikeforce post-fight brawl involving Jason Miller, Nick and Nate Diaz, Jake Shields, and others, tantamount to saying that kind of behavior won’t fly here.

Nate Diaz is a UFC contracted fighter, but received no punishment from his employers. White seemingly afforded more blame to Strikeforce than the individuals involved.

“Have you ever seen him do that at one of my shows?” White asked about Nate Diaz when commenting on the Strikeforce situation.

It now appears that the Tennessee Athletic Commission is poised to take action against several of the individuals involved in the Strikeforce situation. The promotion itself has said thus far only that it will honor whatever sanctions the athletic commission doles out, apparently not taking any further action itself.

It is currently unclear what sanctions are coming for those involved in the Strikeforce brawl, but the promotion seems to think lengthy suspensions are going to be at least part of the repercussions as they have declined to schedule any of the fighters involved in the brawl for its upcoming events.

Of course, a fighter reacting before thinking is nothing new. Case in point being Phil Baroni hitting referee Larry Landless after his encounter with the late Evan Tanner. The repercussions in that instance were toward the official rather than the fighter.

It took Gilbert Yvel years to overcome the stigma attached to him for lashing out at a referee in Japan. He only recently regained licensure in the United States and signed a contract with the UFC.

Daley knows his current fate with the UFC. White made that abundantly clear at the UFC 113 post-fight press conference, declaring that he didn’t care if Daley ever became regarded as the best welterweight in the world, he wouldn’t be back in the Octagon.

Could that be a heat of the moment decision that could be rescinded? Of course. You can never say never.

But as of right now, Daley doesn’t even know what his future holds outside of the UFC. He must first await word from the Quebec Athletic Commission.

All he knows right now is that he made the biggest, most regrettable mistake of his career, and is left to suffer the repercussions.
I found it to be an interesting read and I know a lot of people wanted to know what Koscheck said to him.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Thanks for the good read.

I've gotta say I'm disappointed as hell in kos' smack talk. That was it? I've heard worse between training partners. If that was all it took to make him lose it, if he ever fought nick Diaz he'd go for a gun.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Thanks for the good read.

I've gotta say I'm disappointed as hell in kos' smack talk. That was it? I've heard worse between training partners. If that was all it took to make him lose it, if he ever fought nick Diaz he'd go for a gun.
It was a bunch of things adding onto each other, Him not being able to do much and getting taken down constantly probably played the larger factor in it, and when Kos said that at the end, it kind of was like the spark to set the fuel on fire.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm also interested to see what kind of suspension he'll get from the AC. I bet right now he wishes he would've at least knocked Kos out, then at least it would have probably seemed a little bit more worth it. I think he realizes what kind of s**tstorm he created now. It more than likely ended his professional fighting career, if not set him back to where he started (as Coker said he won't even sign him at SF).

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Daley is finally shutting his yap, for once in his life he is being humble and I am beginning to think that he attained the pinnacle of douchiness and has to get better. Despite hating him before and having him reaffirm that hatred when he cheap shotted Kos his post incident interviews have him coming across much more down to earth and likable.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Considering the UFC has a few fighters under contract that have done simialar things or worse, i just hope that Dana will let Daley fight in the UFC again. The 3 fighters that were mentioned in the article (Baroni, Yvel and Diaz) were much worse cases than Daley's IMO.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Daley is finally shutting his yap, for once in his life he is being humble and I am beginning to think that he attained the pinnacle of douchiness and has to get better. Despite hating him before and having him reaffirm that hatred when he cheap shotted Kos his post incident interviews have him coming across much more down to earth and likable.
He has definitely sounded a lot more humble since being cut from the UFC. I don't blame him. Being at the top of your profession and then getting the gate can be a pretty humbling experience.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Considering the UFC has a few fighters under contract that have done simialar things or worse, i just hope that Dana will let Daley fight in the UFC again. The 3 fighters that were mentioned in the article (Baroni, Yvel and Diaz) were much worse cases than Daley's IMO.
I have to go with you there, both fighters acted like fools in this fight, both the Phantom knee and Cheap shot were disgusting,IMO.
I just hope both guys can shake hands and continue as normal.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
In another article gareth davies published for the telegraph he describes how Daley has been offered to start boxing. I dont think he'll do it, but he could make a pretty good boxer. I think Daley will come back much stronger from all of this with some thing to prove about his wrestling and it will build character.

I dont think Daleys wrestling looked that bad against kos to be fair. Would Alves have been able to stop kos' take downs if he didnt take the fight on such short notice? If he goes to America and really works on his wrestling, he could be a dangerous contender. Daley will be back and i will continue to support him.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"Nate Diaz is a UFC contracted fighter, but received no punishment from his employers. White seemingly afforded more blame to Strikeforce than the individuals involved.

“Have you ever seen him do that at one of my shows?” White asked about Nate Diaz when commenting on the Strikeforce situation."

So going by Whites warped logic, if there is no blame on Diaz but on Strikeforce, then there is no blame on Daley, but on the UFC.

Dana White, is a hypocritical egotistical bullsh*ter.
If Daley was a bigger ticket seller or on the night, licked Whites behind sufficiently enough, he would have had his wrist slapped...end of of story.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
"Nate Diaz is a UFC contracted fighter, but received no punishment from his employers. White seemingly afforded more blame to Strikeforce than the individuals involved.

“Have you ever seen him do that at one of my shows?” White asked about Nate Diaz when commenting on the Strikeforce situation."

So going by Whites warped logic, if there is no blame on Diaz but on Strikeforce, then there is no blame on Daley, but on the UFC.

Dana White, is a hypocritical egotistical bullsh*ter.
If Daley was a bigger ticket seller or on the night, licked Whites behind sufficiently enough, he would have had his wrist slapped...end of of story.

Its pretty simple, Me Dana White, me no likey when Paul Daley hit Koschek, he make UFC look like big dumb dumbs. Me likey when Nate Diaz jump Mayhem. He make Strikeforce look like dumb dumb. Me like when Strikeforce big dumb dumb.

Reactions: WOGSY

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
There's also a pretty big difference with those 2 incidents. First off Mayhem Miller shouldn't even have been there interrupting Shields' interview. When the UFC let fighters in the octagon to promote a future fight, they wait till the guy has finished his interview and then let them in. Deeply disrespectful to barge in on someone's interview and demand a title shot. Also, Nate Diaz didn't start the brawl, he was just backing his guys up, which is the way the Diaz brothers have grown up. You mess with one of their friends, they're going to get involved in the scrap. Paul Daley punching Koscheck after the bell like that was much worse AFAIC. The UFC weren't to blame for Daley punching Koscheck, as there's nothing they could have done to prevent it. Strikeforce could and should have controlled who was allowed in the cage whilst Shields was getting interviewed. There's a huge difference. People like to criticise Dana White, but I don't think he's done anything wrong here, it certainly isn't double standards, as what Daley did was completely different and completely out of Dana's control.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hes a dumbass and deserves what he got.
Everybody makes mistakes. In the Ultimate Fighter 7 Jesse Taylor screwed up and suffered a similar fate. Dana White later said, "He told me, 'I'm in AA now. I've totally got my life together. It's the biggest mistake I've ever made. And I'll never do it again, I'll never disappoint you or the UFC again.' And I believed what he said, so, I'm bringing him back." Im sure Daley will get a similar chance, he can even use the same quote if he wants! He's too good of a fighter to be done with the UFC. Maybe it will take anger management and avoiding strikeforce but i definetly think we havent seen the last of Paul Daley in the UFC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
posted by toxic: "
Its pretty simple, Me Dana White, me no likey when Paul Daley hit Koschek, he make UFC look like big dumb dumbs. Me likey when Nate Diaz jump Mayhem. He make Strikeforce look like dumb dumb. Me like when Strikeforce big dumb dumb."

And thats basically why Daley was banned to be honest.. I couldn't agree more:)

Anyways, I do believe that everyone deserves a second chance (especially when we are talking about a promising young athletes career) as I guarantee everyone on this board has made a mistake in their lives. We all make mistakes, some big some small.
But I do hope daley can come back in a year or 2 as yes, it was a thuggish, cheap and very stupid thing to do. But does it deserve having your whole career ruined over a split second moment of the red mist descending?? I dont think it is..

Yes he deserves to be punished and vilified but lets not totally wash our hands of the kid just yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.