Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cagepotato.com/paul-daley-gets-30-day-slap-wrist-post-ufc-113-koscheck-sucker-punch?

Paul Daley is lucky he didn't sucker punch Josh Koscheck in Nashville.

Otherwise, he likely would have received a much heftier punishment for the May 8 infraction than the 30-day suspension the Quebec athletic commission -- the Régie des Alcools des Courses et des Jeux (Regulators of Alcohol, Racing and Gaming) -- sentenced him to in his absence at a hearing in the French-Canadian province today.

Sherdog's Loretta Hunt is reporting that the suspension may not even affect the British welterweight who fought on the July 18 Impact Fighting Championships card where he submitted Daniel Acacio and who is slated to take on Jorge Masvidal at Shark Fights 13 on Sept. 11 -- two days AFTER his suspension ends if it begins immediately.

According to Hunt, it is unclear as to when the suspension period officially begins, but it's likely that it will begin ticking down as soon as Daley receives documentation of the sanctions levied against him.

If you recall, Jason "Mayhem" Miller received a much more sizeable punishment for inadvertently setting off the Strikeforce: Nashville brawl. Miller and four others, including the Diaz brothers, were initially given fines for as much as $20,000 as well as nine month suspensions. By waiving their right to a formal hearing, the quintet admitted their part in the brawl and as such their penalties were all reduced to $5000-7500 fines and three-month suspensions.

Both Miller and Nick Diaz were dropped from respective scheduled bouts with Strikeforce and DREAM as a result of their suspensions, which cost them much more than their fine amounts.

Besides being dropped by the UFC, which is perhaps the biggest blow to his career and pocketbook, Daley got off relatively easy considering the nature of his unsportsmanlike act. The penalty he was handed won't do much to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again since it's more of a paper punishment than anything else and it sets a bad precedent for fighters who commit similar offenses in the future.
If the sucker punch was to GSP, I suspect, just a little, that they would have banned him for more than a month.

In other words, the Quebec athletic commission think Koscheck is a knob as well!

Good people in Quebec I hear.

lol. :)

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
That's very very lenient of them. Most fighters take alot more than 30 days off fights anyways, this won't even effect him.

I love Daley, but what he did was wrong. Whether Kos was a knob or not. He knows that as well, and if very lucky to get what he got.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts

Reactions: Mckeever

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
That kinda pisses me off. He Sucker Punches a guy AFTER their fight for NO LEGIT reason and he gets a 30 day suspension? Thats some bull shit. Mayham miller got a month in jail for punching a guy in the face cause he pushed a girl he was with. To me what Daley did is alot worse...

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Man I'm still annoyed over this, I thought Paul Daley really coulda been a contender...

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I think it should have been worse but I think they are taking into consideration the guy lost what was probably a 6 figure contract over it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dear Quebec,

Thanks for helping the people who say that MMA is nothing more than two idiots swinging on each other build their case.

Me

Reactions: Majortom505

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
PALHARES GETS 90 DAYS for something he hardly did?! DALEY GETS 30 for blatantly breaking the main rule of all combat sports.?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something is very, very wrong with that. I understand they are different commissions, but this is ridiculous.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PALHARES GETS 90 DAYS for something he hardly did?! DALEY GETS 30 for blatantly breaking the main rule of all combat sports.?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something is very, very wrong with that. I understand they are different commissions, but this is ridiculous.
The difference is the odious Koscheck. That's what. Universally disliked worm of a man. If it was up to me, I would have given Daley a new contract. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Actually if he beat kos he would have had a title shot, so clearly was near a title shot.
Did you see the fight? He was no where near a title shot.

Edit: Even if by some miracle Daley beat Kos, there is no way he's going to catch lightning in a bottle twice and beat GSP.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
The difference is the odious Koscheck. That's what. Universally disliked worm of a man. If it was up to me, I would have given Daley a new contract. ;)
I often agree with your posts, but ths time I feel you are off base.

I can't think of a law or a rule that takes into consideration the reputation of the aggrieved. Daley didn't hit Kos because he was a knob, but rather because Kos throughly out classed him IN THE RING.

Daley didn't sucker punch Kos because Kos insulted Daley's gf or mother, or in some bizarre reasoning about manhood, but rather because he was frustrated and saw his progress stopped cold.

No law or rule can possibly be fair if it takes a judgment call by a Commission about the person the incident happened to.

This penalty is a fcuking joke and will do NOTHING to deter more actions of this nature.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Honestly the punch wasn't that bad and what Dana did was more then enough compensation. Those two had bad blood and Koscheck was talking crap while controlling him on the ground. It was fairly incited by Koscheck. I don't condone it and it was a stupid decision but there have been far greater travesties in the world....

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I often agree with your posts, but ths time I feel you are off base.

I can't think of a law or a rule that takes into consideration the reputation of the aggrieved. Daley didn't hit Kos because he was a knob, but rather because Kos throughly out classed him IN THE RING.

Daley didn't sucker punch Kos because Kos insulted Daley's gf or mother, or in some bizarre reasoning about manhood, but rather because he was frustrated and saw his progress stopped cold.

No law or rule can possibly be fair if it takes a judgment call by a Commission about the person the incident happened to.

This penalty is a fcuking joke and will do NOTHING to deter more actions of this nature.
I don't disagree with you Major. I'm just playing around. I don't consider the whole thing very serious, but completely understand how others are stunned by Daleys stoopidness.

Plus I dislike Koscheck in a most unreasonable way... which will always get in the way if anybody tries to debate him with me seriously.

I agree the penalty was a joke... but I cant help but find the comedy in it all. Like I said in my OP, if it was GSP instead of Koscheck, I would wager my old elbow skin that Daley would have been hammered by far more than 1 month.

Ok, so now you know. When it comes to Koscheck, debating with me is futile! I will never be fair to him. He sucks! :)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Honestly the punch wasn't that bad and what Dana did was more then enough compensation. Those two had bad blood and Koscheck was talking crap while controlling him on the ground. It was fairly incited by Koscheck. I don't condone it and it was a stupid decision but there have been far greater travesties in the world....
Well.... yes "there have been far greater travesties in the world." But punishment has to deter or it is simply retribution, like the death penalty.

Certainly Murder is worse than beating someone into a coma, but the person doing the beating deserves a sever punishment also.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
he may only get 30 days on paper but i suspect it will be quite a bit longer before we see him back in a fight,

to the person that said this helps prove the human cock fighting ect.. dana whites punishment of daley in the situation pushes it way in the other direction

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I don't disagree with you Major. I'm just playing around. I don't consider the whole thing very serious, but completely understand how others are stunned by Daleys stoopidness.

Plus I dislike Koscheck in a most unreasonable way... which will always get in the way if anybody tries to debate him with me seriously.

I agree the penalty was a joke... but I cant help but find the comedy in it all. Like I said in my OP, if it was GSP instead of Koscheck, I would wager my old elbow skin that Daley would have been hammered by far more than 1 month.

Ok, so now you know. When it comes to Koscheck, debating with me is futile! I will never be fair to him. He sucks! :)
LOL! Too funny!

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
he may only get 30 days on paper but i suspect it will be quite a bit longer before we see him back in a fight,

to the person that said this helps prove the human cock fighting ect.. dana whites punishment of daley in the situation pushes it way in the other direction
He's actually already fought since! Albeit in Austrailia, but a legitimate fight. He won in dominating fashion, and went out of his way to be polite whenever the mic was near him.

I dislike Daley equally as much as I dislike Kos, but I like both of them more than I like Frank Trigg, just to give an idea of where they are on my scale.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.