Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Daley is not thrilled about rematching the "boring wrestler" Jake Shields

UFC Welterweight prospect Paul "Semtex" Daley declared that he is not interested in a rematch against the current Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields, stating that he considers him "a boring fighter". Daley challenged Jake Shields for the EliteXC Welterweight title almost two years ago, losing to the Jiu-Jitsu expert via a second round arm bar. "Semtex" says he has only himself to blame for that loss:

"Jake Shields is obviously the current Strikeforce champion and he's doing pretty well. But I still believe I let myself down when I fought him. There was a lot of quit in me. I wouldn't really be interested in a rematch with Jake unless it was for a title.

Jake's good at what he does but he's not exciting. I don't know many Jake Shields fans who don't train with him, but he's one of those guys who are very good at fighting in a very boring manner and getting the victory. He'll never be a Tito Ortiz who excites the crowd, he's a boring wrestler, that's what he is."

Twenty-seven year old Paul Daley is rumored to take a coaching role at the upcoming Ultimate Fighter 12 season, if his is successfull in his mission against the more experienced Josh Koscheck. Paul Daley will look to extend his 2-0 UFC record, in what would be another step to become the UFC Welterweight Champion:

"We'll get the Koscheck fight out the way and then we'll see. Every fight I go into, I go in with the title in mind. I'd love to be champion of the UFC."

Paul Daley is nicknamed "Semtex" for his explosive knockout power, as 18 out of his 23 career victories come by the way of knockout. Daley trains at the Nottingham-based Team Rough House, alongside fighters like Dan Hardy, Ross Pearson and Andre Winner.
http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/Paul-Daley-is-not-thrilled-about-rematching-the-boring-wrestler-Jake-Shields-7315

Using Daley's own logic I guess he's a boring striker? Shields has finished enough fights and shown enough high level grappling to be free from these biased 'boring wrestler' or 'LnP' type labels.

I hate the way MMA fans and fighters are so biased in their views towards striking.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
who would be thrilled to get another sure L.

thats the funny thing, ppl think Daleys striking is better then GSP.... Daley did nothing to Shields. Shields isnt great AT striking, he sure is great at avoiding and setting up TDs tho.

i dont know what to call that. but its something more then just bad striking.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I disagree that Daley is boring as he'd finished a lot of fights, but there are boring strikers what there just less so than grappler's.

TBH, It's not wrestling itself that I find boring, it's inactivity and just not doing very much. For e.g. Cain, Kos, Brock are fun to watch for their wrestling but being completely honest, there are boring fighters. It's subjective, I don't enjoy GSP much any more but no one can tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm not a real fan because of it. Some wrestlers are just boring.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
I don't give a sh!t if he's a "boring" wrestler, I love watching him transition through moves in what is a good gameplan.

I understand it might be boring if someone was already well versed in wrestling, but I'm still relatively new to it, so it's interesting to me to watch someone as skilled as Shields.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I disagree that Daley is boring as he'd finished a lot of fights, but there are boring strikers what there just less so than grappler's.

TBH, It's not wrestling itself that I find boring, it's inactivity and just not doing very much. For e.g. Cain, Kos, Brock are fun to watch for their wrestling but being completely honest, there are boring fighters. It's subjective, I don't enjoy GSP much any more but no one can tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm not a real fan because of it. Some wrestlers are just boring.
You mean like Shields has? What's that, only 2 decisions in his last 10 fights which were against Hendo and Mayhem? Oh right yeah, 8 finishes in 10 isn't enough, Shields is so boring. All he does is wrestles yet 6 of those 8 finishes were by submission.

I'm assuming you were implying Shields doesn't finish fights, because that's a common misconception in the MMA world.

GSPs last fight was most BJJ along with wrestling, so perhaps you should be saying you find BJJ boring. Go watch the video of the two Gracies going through GSPs BJJ and giving him credit, saying how much jits was actually used.

When was the last time you saw GSP take someone down and do nothing? Never, it doesn't happen. If you don't like BJJ then just say it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You mean like Shields has? What's that, only 2 decisions in his last 10 fights which were against Hendo and Mayhem? Oh right yeah, 8 finishes in 10 isn't enough, Shields is so boring. All he does is wrestles yet 6 of those 8 finishes were by submission.

I'm assuming you were implying Shields doesn't finish fights, because that's a common misconception in the MMA world.

GSPs last fight was most BJJ along with wrestling, so perhaps you should be saying you find BJJ boring. Go watch the video of the two Gracies going through GSPs BJJ and giving him credit, saying how much jits was actually used.

When was the last time you saw GSP take someone down and do nothing? Never, it doesn't happen. If you don't like BJJ then just say it.
What? You said using Daley's own logic....etc means that Daley is a boring striker. However Daley didn't say he doesn't finish fights, he said he is boring.

GSP using BJJ or wrestling isn't a problem, I find Maia exciting, same with Palhares (sp?) but GSP in his last few fights? No really. What I constitute as boring is up to me, maybe its' not finishing a fight? maybe not taking risks? I don't know, nor do I care about what is boring, I try not to spend my time thinking "why Iam I not imbressed".

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hahaha, guys in the UFC are already trying to avoid Shields. At least GSP wants to fight him.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What? You said using Daley's own logic....etc means that Daley is a boring striker. However Daley didn't say he doesn't finish fights, he said he is boring.

GSP using BJJ or wrestling isn't a problem, I find Maia exciting, same with Palhares (sp?) but GSP in his last few fights? No really. What I constitute as boring is up to me, maybe its' not finishing a fight? maybe not taking risks? I don't know, nor do I care about what is boring, I try not to spend my time thinking "why Iam I not imbressed".
Yeah and saying someone who has high level grappling who has subbed six of his last 10 opponents is boring seems strange to me. That's subjective, I see what you're getting at. But what striker do you know of that finishes that many fights and gets called boring? It may be subjective to describe what is boring but I'm genuinely interested to know why people will accept strikers, regardless of technique, yet a grappler who puts on grappling masterclasses is boring.

But let's address the 'wrestler' part. Daley's commens are ignorant for that alone. Shields is a grappler who relies on a lot more than wrestling when he's on the ground. It's like me saying a muay thai striker is a boring boxer, it would just be a stupid thing to say and shows a bias.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I like Paul Daley, but he really needs to start being more of a comedian like Dan Hardy. That boring wrestler didn't exactly lay on Semtex for 3 rounds, he submitted him in the 2nd and basically dominated him the whole fight. It's the 1 problem I have with British fighters (bar Bisping actually). They just expect guys to strike with them, and don't drill their TDD hard. At least with Bisping he has worked on his wrestling, and for a Brit is actually quite a decent wrestler, but he and Hathaway are the only 2 decent British wrestlers fighting for the UFC. Hardy and Semtex need to shut it about wrestlers being boring and drill some bloody Takedown Defence.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Shields is very boring. Total 5 round hugfests last two fights. I turned the Hendo fight off, as did probably a bunch of people.

Daley may not be the best, but at least he is an exciting fighter.
And what did you do instead? I don't get it. An MMA match isn't supposed to be a movie or a a tv show, it isn't supposed to utterly entertain every second of the match. Look at any sport, sometimes its 'boring', or there is inactivity; soccer, football, baseball, hockey, basketball, all have their share of boring or bad games. The point is its real and intelligible. The fact that Shields was able to dominate Henderson for five rounds was interesting enough for me.

And you say 'hugfest' of his last 2 fights as if his opponents were easy and should have been finished with a flying knee, spinning back fist combo. Henderson and Miller are 2 notoriously tough guys to finish.

·
Registered
703 Posts
And what did you do instead? I don't get it. An MMA match isn't supposed to be a movie or a a tv show, it isn't supposed to utterly entertain every second of the match. Look at any sport, sometimes its 'boring', or there is inactivity; soccer, football, baseball, hockey, basketball, all have their share of boring or bad games. The point is its real and intelligible. The fact that Shields was able to dominate Henderson for five rounds was interesting enough for me.

And you say 'hugfest' of his last 2 fights as if his opponents were easy and should have been finished with a flying knee, spinning back fist combo. Henderson and Miller are 2 notoriously tough guys to finish.
I watched the Sergio Martinez- Kelly Pavlik. Didn't even turn back to see who won, the fight was infinitely more entertaining.

Every sport has it's boring moments, but it can't be anticipated from start to finish, otherwise there is no reason to watch, which I didn't.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah and saying someone who has high level grappling who has subbed six of his last 10 opponents is boring seems strange to me. That's subjective, I see what you're getting at. But what striker do you know of that finishes that many fights and gets called boring? It may be subjective to describe what is boring but I'm genuinely interested to know why people will accept strikers, regardless of technique, yet a grappler who puts on grappling masterclasses is boring.

But let's address the 'wrestler' part. Daley's commens are ignorant for that alone. Shields is a grappler who relies on a lot more than wrestling when he's on the ground. It's like me saying a muay thai striker is a boring boxer, it would just be a stupid thing to say and shows a bias.
I'm glad you asked that because I've been thinking about it a bit. I think strikers get a free pass (mostly) because when standing things happen quick or at least there is potential for someone to get demolished in spectacular fashion so people boo less even if not much is happening in anticipation of a potential KO. I think this applied regardless of technique as you said.

With ground game fighter I think things take a slower pace and it's hard to KO someone from there - I think no matter what a brutal KO may look more awe inspiring than a limb lock to most observers, which shouldn't be the case all the time unfortunately.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
This "boring wrestler"...even when he was tired/exhausted managed to take him down and sub him.
WOW!
I can't wait for Koscheck to submit Daley!
koscheck is way more powerful and explosive than Shields and if he decides to teach Daley a lesson about wrestling + grappling this fight won't last more than 3 minutes.

The thing is, Daley isn't to thrilled about a rematch with Shields, cuz he knows that without landing a haymaker, he has close to zero chances to win.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.