Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...ues-fulsome-apology-to-koscheck-ufc-and-fans/

British welterweight mixed martial artist Paul Daley has put out an apology to Josh Koscheck, the UFC, and MMA fans after throwing a punch at his opponent after their three-round contest was over on Saturday night in Montreal.

Dana White, the UFC president, had reacted immediately after the event that Daley would be cut from the UFC roster following his actions. Daley flew back to the UK, five hours after the event. After landing in the UK, he put out this statement.

I have also interviewed him. More to follow…

Daley said: “I’ve had a long flight home to consider my actions and regret the mistake I made on Saturday. I would like to apologise to the UFC and the Athletic Commission for what I’ve done as well as all the fans and sponsors that support me.”

“I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Josh Koscheck who did not deserve the cheap shot I threw. He did what he needed to do in order to win the fight and get the job done, and I foolishly reacted to the situation.”

“There is no excuse for my actions and I know what I did was very unprofessional. I was immensely frustrated by a collection of things that took place throughout the fight as well as leading up to it, but I’m certainly not trying to condone or excuse my actions.”

“Josh implemented his game plan perfectly taking me down and staying on top of me for the majority of the fight. I was also frustrated about him claiming (and acting like) I knee’d him in the head on the ground when it was clear for all to see in the video replay that I didn’t connect at all with the knee I threw.”

“Then finally, the verbal abuse Josh hit me with in the final 30 seconds of the fight simply pushed me over the edge and my frustrations came out as I knew I’d lost the fight, was unhappy with my own performance and had then been ridiculed by my opponent to top things off.”

“This is certainly no excuse for my actions; I fully deserve to be punished for what I did and hope that everyone I have disappointed can forgive my rash decision. I feel very disappointed in myself for losing my cool and hope that I am able to address my temperament and bounce back from this low point in my career.”

“I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what I did and hope that together my team and I can get through this issue. It will be a long road back from where I am now to earning the trust and respect of the UFC and the MMA fans that have supported me for so long, I know I’ve let you all down but I’m determined to make it up to you all.”

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Whatever dude. Took a little to long and this response seems way to pc for my taste. I would have preferred honesty instead of the same shit every public figure says when they screw up, but hey, I guess he has to say the right things for his career.

·
Registered
750 Posts
more lols for Koscheck, that dude seriously rides on luck beats Daley provokes him to be eventually kicked out of the UFC and gets a title shot what a night for him :p

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
In other words I'm too transparent to make any sort of real apology and got the crack PR team to pump out a generic statement.

Exposed, humiliated and disgraced.

gl fighting cans in strikeforce buddy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Lol I like how Dan Mirgliotta grabs Daley by the neck and turns him around twice after the punch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whatever dude. Took a little to long and this response seems way to pc for my taste. I would have preferred honesty instead of the same shit every public figure says when they screw up, but hey, I guess he has to say the right things for his career.
What would you have considered "honesty" in this situation?

I know it sounds like a typical apology but what other reasoning would you expect him to give here?

I seriously doubt that Daley would have done that had Koscheck not faked the knee and had he not taunted him after the fight was clearly over.

Obviously Daley was completely out of line and should be severely punished for it so I'm not defending his actions - but his apology seems reasonable.

I don't like Daley or Koscheck but I don't think Daley is AS big of a dickhead as people think.

If you actually watch the stuff leading up to the fight you can see that Daley most likely said the things he did in the interviews just to hype the fight up. (I think he actually specifically admitted that)

In the press conference he admitted he has nothing against Koscheck - he even told him that he "loves his hair"... At the weigh ins you can see that after the staredown Daley went to sort of high five/shake his hand but Koscheck turned his back... Even at the start of the fight Daley kind of looks down to see if Josh will touch gloves with him but he turns his back again...

I dunno, just some thoughts. It's hard to to separate the hype from reality.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
This is exactly what he should have said to Dana White when he asked him wtf was up with him.

I think he's truly sorry, and deserves a second chance. Obviously he should get suspended for his actions, but cut from the UFC and permanently banned is really harsh; this is his career after all. He's young, has great potential, and he still has a long time ahead of him, the UFC is the future of MMA and to cut him permanently and ruin his career like that is just...it's just unfair if you ask me.

I don't like the guy for what he did, but it just doesn't seem fair.

Hopefully someone uses this on DW:

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
That's a sincere apology. As bad as it sounds I feel for Daley. Homeboy is laying on top of him doing nothing, then rubs it in by whispering shit into his ear. Fawk that's some punk shit...but yah it could be deemed as a b**** move to cheap shot em as well. But imagine your worst mortal enemy winning and talking shit then you have what we call the Frank Mir syndrome. If I were Paul I would have met him at the after party and rumble there...lolz!

I dislike Koscheck. He's a cheap winner who's not a martial artist in my mind. He lost to Paulo Thiago...why the hell does he get a shot. Beat Jon Fitch and Paulo first.

Guess the UFC wants to ride the wave right now cuz he's the blacksheep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Obviously he should get suspended for his actions, but cut from the UFC and permanently banned is really harsh; this is his career after all.
I agree. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that sucker punch and he should definitely be given a severe punishment for it... But banned for life? I dunno man... I don't like him but I actually do feel bad for him.

He was completely out of line and should have controlled his emotions, but I don't think we should be so quick to judge. We don't know what's going on in his head. We don't know what it feels like to put in months of intense training for a fight where there was so much on the line, get completely dominated and then have your opponent ridicule you after he's already won. (Especially a douchebag like Koscheck)

Daley should be given a harsh punishment, yes. But a lifetime ban seems extreme to me, and I'm pretty sure he'd legitemately learn from this and never do anything like it again.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I'm amazed people would support a second chance or ackowledge an apology.

I've been training and fighting in Zen Do Kai & Muay Thai for over 10 years and if anyone fighting from one of our Dojo's pulled that shit there is just nothing someone could say or do to redeem themsevles.

Paul Daley is a bitch.

·
Banned
670 Posts
I'm amazed people would support a second chance or ackowledge an apology.

I've been training and fighting in Zen Do Kai & Muay Thai for over 10 years and if anyone fighting from one of our Dojo's pulled that shit there is just nothing someone could say or do to redeem themsevles.

Paul Daley is a bitch.
This, and I would put [email protected] in front bitch. An absolute disgrace. Losing is ok, but what he did is unforgivable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
These aren't guys from the same dojo. When you train together your like family. These guys don't like each other at all. Get off your high horse actin like you never did something you regret. Shit happens in the heat of the moment. It was out of line but not inexcusable. Shit happens. Punish him accordingly and get over it. Lifetime ban is way overboard. A hefty fine is much more suitable.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
I think part of the reason Dana wants him gone is the ridiculous lie he told when Dana confronted him after the fact:

http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/paul-da...-suckerpunching-josh-koscheck-in-ufc-113.html

Daley, a British fighter, claims he didn't hear the bell. White, a former Boston resident and Manchester, Conn. native, isn't buying it.

"When I went in there and talked to him after the fight he said 'I didn't hear the bell.' That's what he said to me. That won't be tolerated."

1 - 20 of 103 Posts