Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some more words from former UFC fighter Paul Daley, thanks to AmdM for helping me embed the text.

http://fighthype.com/pages/content7629.html

PAUL DALEY: "IT WAS REALLY A THOUGHTLESS ACT...I
REGRET IT"

By Percy Crawford | May 19, 2010

"I have heard nothing from the Commission as of yet,
other than they are investigating the incident, but I
feel as though I have been punished enough,
effectively by Dana White. He has punished me on
behalf of the Commission, although I understand they
have a job to do...It was really a thoughtless act,
some frustration, a little bit of a response to
Koscheck's comments while we were fighting; I really
don't know. All I know is I regret it," stated former
UFC welterweight Paul Daley as he talked about the
mistake he made in throwing the post-fight cheap shot
against Josh Koscheck at UFC 113. Check out what
else he had to say about the incident, his future plans
and much more.

PC: Paul, what's good man? Have you heard
anything from the Commission on any type of punishment or disciplinary action
towards you yet?

PD: I have heard nothing from the Commission as of yet, other than they are
investigating the incident, but I feel as though I have been punished enough, effectively
by Dana White. He has punished me on behalf of the Commission, although I
understand they have a job to do.

PC: The fight didn't go as planned for you and it seemed to be a very
frustrating fight for you. Was your post-fight punch just frustration coming out
from the way the fight had gone?

PD: It was a little. It was really a thoughtless act, some frustration, a little bit of a
response to Koscheck's comments while we were fighting; I really don't know. All I
know is I regret it.

PC: Koscheck was saying you were going to sleep and he would stand and
knock you out. Did you get caught up into that thinking he would stand with
you?

PD: I knew he would not stand with me, but it's real hard to just stop an accomplished
wrestler from taking you down; although I felt there could've been more stand-ups due
to the lack of activity while on the ground for the most part.

PC: He was saying things to you on the ground right before the fight ended
that obviously pissed you off. Can you remember what was said?

PD: Yes, but what's done is done. We both had words for each other.

PC: Since the fight, Koscheck has called you a cheat, saying you greased and
things like that. Any response to those remarks?

PD: Has this ever been said before about me? I think Koscheck...although he did
dominate the fight, he expected an easy finish once it hit the mat.

PC: The knee, although illegal, obviously missed its mark. Did you think
Koscheck was looking for a way out at that time?

PD: Yes I do, and I think more should be done to penalize him; it's twice he's done this
now.

PC: Dana White said you will never fight in the UFC again. Do you think that's a
fair punishment for your actions when we've seen worse?

PD: I think there is more to it for whatever reason. I don't know, you would have to ask
Dana. I can't help but think it's a bit personal, as the UFC has fighters on their roster
that have done far worse things in the sport.

PC: Where do you go from here Semtex?

PD: Onwards and upwards to better myself as a person and a fighter; to keep my fans
happy in fighting and entertaining.

PC: I'm sure there will be a ton of interest from other organizations. When will
the process begin to look for a new home?

PD: I love to fight! When fights are offered, I will look at them individually. Home...who
knows?

PC: With the win, Koscheck will serve as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter
opposite GSP. How do you think you would have done coaching? And if
possible, would you like a rematch with Kos?

PD: I would love to fight Koscheck again, really, I would. I know it was a dominate
performance by him, but I know I am coming back much stronger and with a much
clearer picture for victory.

PC: Best of luck to you man, wherever you go. I'm sure you will put this behind
you and come back strong. Is there anything you want to say in closing?

PD: Thanks to the fans, my family, friends, sponsors that have stuck with me and the
media, some of which have shown their true colors. Peace and progression.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When Wanderlei ran in the ring at Pride dreamers and attacked Mark Coleman I still was a fan. I think fighting is an emotional sport, it can get the best of you. Sometimes fighters do crazy things, as fans you have to accept it. I don't think Dana White should have cut him, at the very least Daley should have gotten a suspension.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
When Wanderlei ran in the ring at Pride dreamers and attacked Mark Coleman I still was a fan. I think fighting is an emotional sport, it can get the best of you. Sometimes fighters do crazy things, as fans you have to accept it. I don't think Dana White should have cut him, at the very least Daley should have gotten a suspension.
Completely different scenario, pointless comparison.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A suspension would be fine, but a cut was even better. The reason why MMA fighters shouldn't go around assaulting each other after a fight is because they are fighters and if they do it other then the cage then it give s a really bad impression towards the sport itself, Dana has been working very hard to promote the sport as a respectable and legitimate sport this one occasion of assault can very well cause a city to keep UFC off its streets for an extra year or 2, do you not want UFC in Toronto?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
A suspension would be fine, but a cut was even better. The reason why MMA fighters shouldn't go around assaulting each other after a fight is because they are fighters and if they do it other then the cage then it give s a really bad impression towards the sport itself, Dana has been working very hard to promote the sport as a respectable and legitimate sport this one occasion of assault can very well cause a city to keep UFC off its streets, do you not want UFC in Toronto?
Yeah, he even signed and promoted Kimbo to help with that...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah, he even signed and promoted Kimbo to help with that...
yes kinda sucks for Kimbo to be used like that to fish potential MMA fans, and then release him after he proves his point, but he does what he has to do, expand.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
glad to see hes thought over it a bit more, but still dont agree with cutting him. I mean where was the precedent for such an action? sf did not see fit to cut fighters after that brawl and it was not just guys that just finished a fight that were involved. If the ufc wants to say there is no place for it in mma, why would they sign fighters who have shown that they are capable of altercations outside the bells into the ufc. Daley, as far as i know in 30+ fights never did something like this before but i know gilbert ivel has. lol i just think it was a silly overeaction and the guy will be back in a year or two on good behavior.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know, it was much worse.

I have to agree with you Mr Insomniac, Daley threw a punch a few seconds after the guys had stopped fighting when emotions are running high,
Whereas Wanderlei got in to the ring to start on COLEMAN,which for me was much worse as you say.

I think organisations can often be hypocritical, in the TUF house for example, Junie Browning threw a glass at someone and still got to fight in UFC, although probably many more people mayaveseen it than an actual fightcard. Nate Diaz, although not part of a UFC show at the time participated in jumping someone, but recieved no punishment from the UFC, possibly because DANA felt it made his opposition look bad, which for me was also far worse than the Daley incident.
I think Daley as you said earlier should have recieved a suspension at the most, but to throw him out of the UFC, especially after seeing the fight and the whole "phantom knee" incident, you could sympathise with DALEY, although it was a stupid thing to do.

p.s wouldn't you feel like hitting KOS if you had a free shot,lol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
glad to see hes thought over it a bit more, but still dont agree with cutting him. I mean where was the precedent for such an action? sf did not see fit to cut fighters after that brawl and it was not just guys that just finished a fight that were involved. If the ufc wants to say there is no place for it in mma, why would they sign fighters who have shown that they are capable of altercations outside the bells into the ufc. Daley, as far as i know in 30+ fights never did something like this before but i know gilbert ivel has. lol i just think it was a silly overeaction and the guy will be back in a year or two on good behavior.
agreed.
I think it was kinda wrong of Dana to unequivocally state that he'd never be back in the UFC EVER that night, but at the same time it sends a hell of a message. And I think that message is "just dont embarrass ME on MY show".

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
You guys are insane. Wanderlei was essentially defending Shogun after a fluke loss and after Coleman went bizerk on everyone. Not like Coleman beat Shogun, respectively raised his hand, then Wanderlei just walked in and clubbed him.

Daley assaulted Koscheck period. I remember this happening once before the bell in boxing and they took the guy out on cuffs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are insane. Wanderlei was essentially defending Shogun after a fluke loss and after Coleman went bizerk on everyone. Not like Coleman beat Shogun, respectively raised his hand, then Wanderlei just walked in and clubbed him.

Daley assaulted Koscheck period. I remember this happening once before the bell in boxing and they took the guy out on cuffs.
Yeah Heath Herring knocked a guy out cold when they went up to touch gloves. Although the guy kissed him on the mouth its still worse than what Daley did. The only difference is it happened on egotistical dictator Dana Whites show. Along with many other similar incidents but whatever hopefully Lorenzo or Frank will talk Dana into letting Paul back into the UFC in a year or two.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Yeah Heath Herring knocked a guy out cold when they went up to touch gloves. Although the guy kissed him on the mouth its still worse than what Daley did. The only difference is it happened on egotistical dictator Dana Whites show. Along with many other similar incidents but whatever hopefully Lorenzo or Frank will talk Dana into letting Paul back into the UFC in a year or two.
The dude basically sexually assaulted Herring, that is an entirely different situation. Go ahead and randomly kiss another person, see what happens when they call the police. Not even in the same ballpark as what happened with Kos and Daley.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
The dude basically sexually assaulted Herring, that is an entirely different situation. Go ahead and randomly kiss another person, see what happens when they call the police. Not even in the same ballpark as what happened with Kos and Daley.
he hit him outside of the rules, if you want to say thats sexual harrasment, dont assault the guy the next second lol, its not as if it would have been wrong to hit him a few seconds later once the fight started, but gilbert ivel knocking ref is better example

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yea, it was Coleman doing the apologizing after that incident.
Yah after he was talking shit about chutebox fighters and he was bragging about kicking Wanderlei inthe head and having his foot on his neck...but yah he really meant his appology

Anyways why is Daley still talking he did say he doesnt want to be tied down to one org anyways

·
Banned
670 Posts
Britains full of Daleys, just bring in another one. Not a big loss in my book, and Dana got to put the hammer down, he must have loved talking smack after that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Whereas Wanderlei got in to the ring to start on COLEMAN,which for me was much worse as you say.
Did you see that video and what had happened? Coleman threw a punch after Rua's arm was broke and the ref stopped the fight. Thats a big no no especially to a chutebox fighter. Coleman got hit fine but its not like he didn't deserve it and STILL ended up assaulting Wanderlei. He says he was suckerpunched yet claimed he had his foot on Wanderlei's neck. Look at how Coleman reacted after the fight, he called on the chutebox fighters the only one to blame is Coleman not Wanderlei

Oh well Shogun beat him back at 93 so its all good then lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts