Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresh off losing the UFC lightweight title to Frankie Edgar at UFC 112, B.J. Penn has made it clear that he wants a rematch and the UFC appears willing to oblige.

"The UFC has already spoke to my camp and has already expressed some feeling that they are interested in having a rematch with me and Frankie," Penn told ESPN's MMA Live on Thursday.

Some reports have suggested the matchup could take place at UFC 118, which is expected to be held in Boston, Massachusetts in August.

"That's actually too long for me," expressed Penn. "I'm 31 years old, I want to get into the ring and I want to have as many fights as I can until I can't do this anymore."

Penn, who was undefeated at lightweight since 2002, had controlled the UFC lightweight belt since 2008. He was once again a heavy favourite heading into the bout with (The Answer) in Abu Dhabi, but Edgar used quick strikes and a steady pace to earn a unanimous decision.

"After the fight was finished, the first thing any fighter wants to do is get out of the ring as soon as possible and fight one of the top contenders, but the UFC they came back to us and they expressed interest in us rematching Frankie for the title," Penn stated.

"My focus right now has to be on Frankie Edgar. He edged me over there in Abu Dhabi and my focus has to be on Frankie Edgar. There's nothing else for me to think about right now."

UFC 118 has yet to be officially announced, but one other bout has been rumoured for the August event at the TD Garden. The fight would see top lightweight contenders Gray Maynard and Kenny Florian battle it out to see who is next in line to challenge for the title.
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=318268

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love BJs new attitude and how he wants to fight more often, im sure my prayers are being answered!

If they cant set up the rematch before August maybe penn should have a tune up fight. Perhaps at WW even because if Florian is fighting Maynard then who the hell would fight Penn??

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I honestly don't see the point of an immediate rematch every time a title fight goes to decision. In the case of Machida v Rua that made sense, the margin between the two was razor thin. But not for Penn v Edgar. It was obvious that Edgar won. He was the superior fighter that night in Abu Dhabi. Let him fight another contender in the division before he has to fight Penn again. And make Penn fight once or twice to prove he's still the no question p4p. This is getting rediculous. It seems like the UFC is just trying to ride the wake of the upset, and its embarassing.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I still think this is retarded. Let Edgar defend the LW title against at least one other opponent first. I will be cheering for him to win just for this reason, whether Penn was sick or not Edgar deserved that win.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
For fucks sake, no. What's with the UFC? We don't wanna keep watching the same people fight for the belts over and over. Maybe if it was controversial like the Machida Rua fight but it wasnt.

I have 0 interest in seeing this fight happen again so soon. I wanna see Edgar fight ATLEAST 1 or 2 contenders before BJ gets another chance. You shouldn't get an instant rematch at the belt just because your names BJ Penn.

I don't even care if BJ is still the #1 contender after the fight. GSP would have been fighting no one but Fitch if that's how the UFC worked.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I honestly don't see the point of an immediate rematch every time a title fight goes to decision. In the case of Machida v Rua that made sense, the margin between the two was razor thin. But not for Penn v Edgar. It was obvious that Edgar won. He was the superior fighter that night in Abu Dhabi. Let him fight another contender in the division before he has to fight Penn again. And make Penn fight once or twice to prove he's still the no question p4p. This is getting rediculous. It seems like the UFC is just trying to ride the wake of the upset, and its embarassing.
Are you joking dude? "It was obvious that Edgar won"? most people would disagree. It was a very close fight and BJ whomped him clearly for 2 rounds edgar clearly took the 5th the other 2 are debatable, so there is every reason for a re-match.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I'll attempt to make an objective speculation as to why BJ is getting the immediate shot, apart from the obvious money element.

BJ was of course favored to win by most and some even anticipated a dominant performance, so when Frankie won and I'll just go with that fact without going into varying opinions on the matter, it was "perceived" that BJ wasn't fighting as his "normal self." Whether it be a so called sinus infection, slower then usual reaction time or maybe BJ was all he could be that night, there is a lingering popular "perception" that BJ did not fully show up. These aren't any excuses BJ has mentioned, I'm just paraphrasing speculations I've read & heard and I'm not necessarily giving them credence. Popular perception is a subjective matter, and nothing drives interest like emotion.

Whether BJ "deserves" an immediate shot or not can be argued as well. Academically, he may not deserve it. On record he just lost, but in reality, BJ beats Maynard or Florian or any other contender in that division almost every time, on any night. I suppose if this were baseball and movements up the ladder were more mechanical, BJ would have to fight again before another title shot, but the reality is, he is still the number one contender and margins ahead of the rest of the competition.

Maynard and Edgar do have unfinished business, but that doesn't change the fact that BJ is still the number one contender and BJ would eat Maynard and Florian. Lastly, there is still lingering perceptions that BJ is the better fighter then Edgar. I'm not stating that as my own opinion, but any time a fight goes to decision and the under dog wins, the win isn't given as much credence (whether deserved or not).

Money follows popular interest and the popular interest is BJ/Edgar.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
BJ took all of the first three rounds pretty clearly imo and the 4th was so close that it could have easily gone either way. After watching that fight I honestly expected people around here to make more of a fuss about the decision. It wasn't a blatant obvious judging failure like the Shogun Machida fight but I thought that BJ won the fight and dropping him down the ladder to face a contender doesn't make sense to me. Glad to see the immediate rematch and I'm sure BJ will win it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just another case of Penn getting a title shot he never earned. That makes about 4 for him.

Maynard should get the shot since you know he is on a 7 win streak and has a win over Edgar. Whats the point of putting him with Florian? So if Penn and Florian both win we are getting Penn-Florian 2 when the first one wasn't even close? Whats the ponit of that? Also doesn't that srew Edgar since he should get a rubber match?

I swear the UFC's matching making doesn't make any sense sometimes.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
It was a close fight. I would score it 3-2 Penn OR 3-2 Edgar, I really can't make a fair judgement.

Right after the fight I though Penn got robbed, but after watching it again I'm not even sure who really won. To me Penn landed the better shots but Edgars footwork was to good and he outmaneuvered Penn and really outboxed him.

As for Maynard getting a shot: Sure he won really many fights, but the way he fought in his last couple of fights tells me that he is in no way ready for a title shot. Really, I think Sotiropoulus is more ready as of right now. I don't care who is more deserving based on record. That is in the past, we gotta see how the fighters permormed recently as it will tell us more about how they will perform in a title fight.

To me only Penn or the winner of Penn vs Florian makes sense right now. I can't think of anyone else as of right now.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just another case of Penn getting a title shot he never earned. That makes about 4 for him.

Maynard should get the shot since you know he is on a 7 win streak and has a win over Edgar. Whats the point of putting him with Florian? So if Penn and Florian both win we are getting Penn-Florian 2 when the first one wasn't even close? Whats the ponit of that? Also doesn't that srew Edgar since he should get a rubber match?

I swear the UFC's matching making doesn't make any sense sometimes.
Considering BJ won the fight I think he deserves this one :)

Edgar can get a rubber match if he keeps winning, this doesn't screw Edgar anymore than the scorecards already screwed Penn imo.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I won't buy this on principle. If the fight was a draw then have a rematch. There was a scored winner and a scored loser. I think if the UFC wants a Machida/Shogun rematch and Penn/Edgar rematch they should be on the same card and free on Spike TV.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
A person who speaks the truth! :thumb02:

Haters of BJ suck balls :sarcastic12:
Bull Shit, I am not a Penn hater, I am a big fan of the guys, but he clearly did not deserve to win that fight, Edgar was the better man on the night.

As for an instant title rematch, I disagree that this should happen, I agree that Gary Maynard should be given the next shot at Edgar, while in the mean time I would like to see Penn take on Sotiropoulos for a shot at the title.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Bull Shit, I am not a Penn hater, I am a big fan of the guys, but he clearly did not deserve to win that fight, Edgar was the better man on the night.

As for an instant title rematch, I disagree that this should happen, I agree that Gary Maynard should be given the next shot at Edgar, while in the mean time I would like to see Penn take on Sotiropoulos for a shot at the title.
Penn landed about the same number of shots and he landed better ones. The fact that it's an argument on this board is good enough reason for the immediate rematch imo.

Not quite Machida Shogun but somewhat similar. If Penn had gotten the win on points (which he should have) I'm not sure people would be screaming for a rematch; if they were though I'd understand it. Close fight, BJ won, BJ should get a rematch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts