Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polarizing welterweight slugger Phil Baroni (13-12 MMA, 3-6 UFC) looks for his first UFC win since 2002 when he returns to action at UFC 118.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that Baroni has verbally agreed to fight on the card, though an opponent has yet to be determined.

Featuring a lightweight title rematch between new champ Frankie Edgar and the recently dethroned B.J. Penn, UFC 118 is expected to take place on Aug. 28 at Boston's TD Garden.

Baroni debuted for the UFC in February 2001. Despite sporting just a 1-0 record in mixed martial arts at the time, the "New York Bad Ass" earned a decision win over Curtis Stout at UFC 30.

After additional wins over Dave Menne and Amar Suloev, Baroni dropped four-straight contests to Pete Sell, Evan Tanner (twice) and Matt Lindland and was released by the UFC in 2005.

Baroni then spent the next four years garnering mixed results while fighting for PRIDE, Strikeforce, EliteXC and a handful of regional promotions while trying to make his way back to the UFC. Despite suffering a loss to Joe Riggs in June 2009, the UFC did come calling, and Baroni signed back on with the promotion in time for a November 2009 matchup with Amir Sadollah at UFC 106.

Prior to the fight, Baroni admitted to MMAjunkie.com that being back on the big stage was a big opportunity, but he was doing his best to treat the fight like any other.

"I've got to try and block that out and say, 'Hey, it's just a fight,'" Baroni said. "Once you get in there, it's a cage. I've been in cages and rings all around the world."

Despite his mental approach and training with American Kickboxing Academy, Baroni lost a one-sided decision to Amir Sadollah.

Baroni likely needs a win to keep his spot in the organization.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19183/wel...-at-ufc-118-opponent-yet-to-be-determined.mma
Is anyone really interested in seeing this guy fight anymore? Surprised he wasn't dropped after losing to Sadollah tbh. He seemingly hasn't improved his game since he started. He's only threatening in the first minute of a fight, then after that he's relying on heart alone. He did show some real heart against Amir though tbf, after getting dominated, with Sadollah putting on a Muay Thai clinic. He was getting his arse handed to him, but still hung around. Who do you think he'll end up fighting? It's almost certainly going to be someone coming off a loss, so James Wilks? Daniel Roberts? Charlie Brenneman? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow, what does this guy have to do to be cut? This guy was only mediocre even back in the days when Tank Abbot was good and by today's standards he is terrible. I don't get it. Kimbo is terrible but far more marketable than this clown and he was cut so why keep this guy?

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I hope he's on the undercard as I really do not wish to see him fight anymore. Really would of thought he'd of been cut, or not even brought back.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Is anyone really interested in seeing this guy fight anymore?
Not I. I'm not a fan of unskilled fighters regardless of how 'entertaining' they are. I'm here to see skill not a brawl, and Baroni certainly doesn't shape up to the former.

I guess most people out there do like to see unskilled fights though, and that's all they're going to get when fighters like Baroni are involved. Except if they get tooled by someone with skill, like he did against Sadollah.

I'd rather just see fights where both guys are skilled fighters. If I want to see scrappy fights just for the 'entertainment' element of two guys punching each other in the head lots of times, I'd go to a bar and watch drunken louts fighting and leave MMA as a sport.

As you can tell I don't like the sort of attitude where a war is more important than how good the fighter is. I guess there has to be a tradeoff to please the masses.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, dunno what the UFC were thinking bringing him back in the first place. He was 3-1 after 3 straight losses. Those 3 wins came against Scott Jansen?, Ron Verdadero? and Olaf Alonso?, and then he lost against Joe Riggs before getting snapped up by the UFC. Very strange.

Reactions: Hiro

·
Registered
780 Posts
A Phil Baroni fight, OR a jon fitch fight? whos the NYBA fighting, honestly still interested, since the welterweight top end has degraded to lay n pray battles.

Reactions: pipe

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I think Dana and the UFC are trying to give some older guys one last go so they can make some money and ride off into the sunset, guys like Renzo Gracie, Phil Baroni and Paul Buentello.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always like to watch Baroni fight. They are exciting fight for the first round or so and he always "brings it". To bad his cardio is always suspect. Not the most technical ground fighter compared to some guys but his stand up is upper tier. Those of you that bash him and say he has no skills kill me; wonder how an average Joe would fair against a "skilless" NY badass?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I always like to watch Baroni fight. They are exciting fight for the first round or so and he always "brings it". To bad his cardio is always suspect. Not the most technical ground fighter compared to some guys but his stand up is upper tier. Those of you that bash him and say he has no skills kill me; wonder how an average Joe would fair against a "skilless" NY badass?
The point it not that he literally has no skills, but he is a low skilled fighter in the context of elite MMA. So what if he can beat any average joe to a pulp, this is about the top ranks of a sport not a bar fight. Baroni isn't even mid tier, and is only an attraction for low skilled windmilling that evidently pleases some people.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
This Guy shouldve been cut after his last fight all he did was go for his quick flurry at the start and gas himself an take a beating from amir even during his quick flurry he didnt trouble amir.

Phils time has long gone and the guy should hang up his gloves and maybe go into training or something.Just hope hes not on the main card.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
You know what, even if he'll lose to most elite fighters these days, he still comes out to fight. I can respect that in him and prefer watching him over some top fighters who try to win solely on points and leg hump someone the whole fight.

So war on Baroni !

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Phil Baroni really, really sucks...

Why the hell is he in the UFC?

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that their going to get a Boston guy to destroy the "New York Badass"? Seriously the UFC should be a little ashamed of this one. Dana gets on other promotions for pulling this crap. He should look in the mirror.
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.