True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you respond to phonies?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have to ask this question after an encounter that I had today with a guy who claimed to be a Black Belt in BJJ and an accomplished MMA competitor, I knew he wasn't.

Any input? (I'll tell my response at a later date)

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
offer them to the test and whoop em. or u could say i find that really hard to beleive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Offer them out under your rules if they are really an accomplished fighter they will have the ability to adapt to your rules quickly

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why would you look foolish when you fight foir real and you tried your hardest and you lose are you going to feel foolish. No because its a learning experience and aslong as you dont sneer and be rude about it then their is no need for embarrasment

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I ment it in the sense that if you called them out acting like they know nothing and your skills are superior just because they happen to be a braggart, then you would look the punk or what ever. but by being like hey man wanna show me a few things or just do a friendly spar or what not, then if the person really is that good, no one would have expected you to do so good, since you were not running your mouth.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live in the midwest. THere isn't anything else but "tough guys" here. Their training involves these steps. 1. buy beer 2. drink beer then you are an official honorary chuck liddel for the rest of the evening.
or you have these guys...
They show up to the gym just once to look around.
Next you have people come up to you and ask if you know the ultimate fighter such and such.. you know, about the same guy that just looked at the gym and automatically became a promiment killer at the gym.
LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have offered many to show up at the gym one night to watch us train.
These are the ones that say that they could whoop my arse.

·
Banned
338 Posts
I would simply ask the guy where and who has he fought? Chances are that he will get embarrassed and walk away after he can't think of a organization and fighters to throw out there.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. But someguys do some backround research without using their smarts and throw names around. I had one guy throw out the name of one of my buddies, who trains in that gym with us. We had a good laugh after that one.

·
Always Has Been, Always Will Be...
6,847 Posts
I ussually make fun of people who tell me they are a black or high ranked brown/blue belt. You can ussually tell how well trained they are, by how they respond. Whether they go flying at you, fists a flying. Or they talk to you about it... I have never met a black belt, that is eager to hurt someone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CopperShark said:
I ussually make fun of people who tell me they are a black or high ranked brown/blue belt. You can ussually tell how well trained they are, by how they respond. Whether they go flying at you, fists a flying. Or they talk to you about it... I have never met a black belt, that is eager to hurt someone.
That is one reason why they are a black belt.

·
Always Has Been, Always Will Be...
6,847 Posts
Right. And so, you can tell that they are phoney ? That's what I'm saying. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
CopperShark said:

Sadly they do exist, and usually it is do to lack of character on the part of the person in general and a failure of the instructor to notice teh character flaw in hte person being trained, though they are rare they do exist. Just like in the Karate kid there are those schools that teach violence as the answer as opposed to it being the last resort. this is what gives some martial artists bad names

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
The Don said:
Sadly they do exist, and usually it is do to lack of character on the part of the person in general and a failure of the instructor to notice teh character flaw in hte person being trained, though they are rare they do exist. Just like in the Karate kid there are those schools that teach violence as the answer as opposed to it being the last resort. this is what gives some martial artists bad names
One word: Steven-f'n-Seagal

·
Registered
213 Posts
i hate phonies why say that you are a fighter when you are not i dont get it i remember when i joind the army it was funny cos every guy in my unit was a boxing champ are a black best in ju-jit-su or had been in several kick boxin touniments everyone one just blaggin the hell out of each other. i was temted to tall them i was a genetically enhanced super fighter made by the goverment lol

the thing is i have been training for a few years and have not been fightin long but i am pretty good at it i have good allround skills but i hate guys those guys you see walkin down the street who think they are 10 men and are gangstars when most of them have ever been in a fight i love fightin those jokers . cos guys like that use intimadation as a wepon if you get past that and oppose them they crap them selvs lol

and has for guys who say that they are mma fighters and a black belt in this and a brown belt in that GROW UP YOU AINT FOOLIN NOBODY

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Onganju said:
One word: Steven-f'n-Seagal

Yea most have heard the bad stories but no one who actualy claims these things against him has ever brouhgt proof of them from what I understand its all hearsay, so I am not sure if they are true or not. I never heard of him getting arrested for anything. so are these rumurs or truth? I think Van Damme is worse he has gotten publicly drunk and into fights ( most he lost) and stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts