1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Main Event : Edgar vs Penn 2

or...

Co-Main : Randy vs James

For me, I find James and Randys fight to be something more to look forward to just beccause of the fact that the match will win with a KO or Sub. And all the trash talk Toney has been talking to almost every good fighter in the UFC.

ps: Did Toney ever get KO'd in his boxing carrer?

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
Definitely Toney-Couture. There are so many different reasons.

And no, James Toney has never been KO'd in his boxing career.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Or decision.

I'll vote for Edgar vs Penn, because I was surprised Edgar pulled off the first victory. Penn, I doubt, will allow the same treatment... but Edgar's scrappy.

Couture vs Toney is just... irrelevant. Couture will either take Toney down or he won't (but he probably will). When he does, he'll pound on Toney for a good while or will get a sub. Toney may get the KO... but I don't find this to be very interesting. We see strikers vs wrestlers all the time.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
I wouldn't count this bout as a regular striker-boxer fight. Couture is a future HOF'er, a multi-time UFC champion and a legend, taking on a former boxing world champion. Not to mention all the hype around this fight.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I actually worry for Couture. Anybody have training videos of Toney...

Couture will probably need at least two rounds to pound out James Toney if not go to a UD. Toney will have a couple of opportunities to land ONE BOMB.

Now if this was JBJ it would be a massacre or even Davis.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
The Main Event : Edgar vs Penn 2

or...

Co-Main : Randy vs James

For me, I find James and Randys fight to be something more to look forward to just beccause of the fact that the match will win with a KO or Sub. And all the trash talk Toney has been talking to almost every good fighter in the UFC.

ps: Did Toney ever get KO'd in his boxing carrer?
80-6, never been knocked out. A lot of brain damage though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
80-6, never been knocked out. A lot of brain damage though.
I would be Randy's bitch if he ended up KO'ing James Toney. Considering he never got knocked out. But also, Boxing fans/promoters/etc say that UFC fighters dont have good chins and that they get KO'd easily. I'm not even sure if they are aware that UFC gloves are much smaller than Boxing gloves. Yet we still see people with "supposed better chins" in Boxing that get Ko'd and finished in Round 1(mind you that it's only 3 minutes with huge ******* gloves). It's just funny to hear the things Boxing fans say to defend or attack MMA. It's like trying to lie while being put under a lie detector at all times. They just try and find ways to try and diss UFC.

Notice how many UFC fans are also fans of Boxing but not the opposite? Most boxing fans hate UFC and think it's a stupid sport. It shows that they are jealous. And one of the symptoms of jealousy is holding a grudge against it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
No, I'm not really looking forward to this card...the only fight I care about on that card is Florian vs Maynard. Penn didn't deserve an immidiate rematch after that fight, he lost fair and square. Randy vs Toney is not even exciting, real dumb wwe style marketing gimmick...

This card doesn't stack up to 116 or 117, but maybe the fights will surprise me, I dunno...I doubt I'll watch it.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
No, I'm not really looking forward to this card...the only fight I care about on that card is Florian vs Maynard. Penn didn't deserve an immidiate rematch after that fight, he lost fair and square. Randy vs Toney is not even exciting, real dumb wwe style marketing gimmick...

This card doesn't stack up to 116 or 117, but maybe the fights will surprise me, I dunno...I doubt I'll watch it.
Concur.

This has to be the absolute last time BJ Penn gets a auto rematch, considering the auto title shots against GSP, there must be order!

·
Registered
428 Posts
this is a solid card cant wait to see the bj vs edgar fight, still think that last o ne was a fluke for edgar, lets hope hes ready because bj's probably goiing to demolish him, the randy vs toney fight is probably going to end up with randy folding him like oragami or randy layin down gnp for three rounds

·
Registered
780 Posts
Randy v Toney, because honestly this will probably be bigger than the title fight, think about it, on sportcenter, WBO Boxing champion, and boxing hall of famer James Toney, vs UFC Champion, and UFC Hall of famer Randy Couture, its like the epic legends battle of 109, just cross genre.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Probably the Couture v Toney fight, however pretty psyched for the rematch - either BJ stops Edgar, or Edgar UDs BJ again. Hoping for the latter ;)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Couture vs Toney for me. Neither Penn or Edgar has even fought anybody since the last time we saw them fight each other for 25 minutes, so it gets a bit repetitive.

Couture vs Toney is the kind of fight that is interesting because even though one of the fighters is a huge favorite, the consequences would be huge if the underdog pulls it off. And Toney definitely has his puncher's chance. Most of all I'm interested in seeing whether he'll just try to pretend it's a boxing match and fight accordingly, or if he's got some sort of gameplan specifically against Randy.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I actually worry for Couture. Anybody have training videos of Toney...

Couture will probably need at least two rounds to pound out James Toney if not go to a UD. Toney will have a couple of opportunities to land ONE BOMB.

Now if this was JBJ it would be a massacre or even Davis.
Toney doesnt do bombs. Hes one of the sneakiest, most talented boxers out there. If anybody thinks hes going to come in swinging haymakers, you have another thing coming.

I'm excited to see what happens!

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Toney/Couture interests me slightly more, although no doubt BJ/Edgar II will be the superior fight.

Toney not getting KOd in 85 odd fights is impressive but as someone who has done a lot of amateur boxing and trained a bit in MMA i can say getting hit with 10oz boxing gloves doesn't even compare to getting hit with 4oz MMA gloves. I'd take getting hit all day with boxing gloves over a couple of hits from MMA gloves!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Toney/Couture interests me slightly more, although no doubt BJ/Edgar II will be the superior fight.

Toney not getting KOd in 85 odd fights is impressive but as someone who has done a lot of amateur boxing and trained a bit in MMA i can say getting hit with 10oz boxing gloves doesn't even compare to getting hit with 4oz MMA gloves. I'd take getting hit all day with boxing gloves over a couple of hits from MMA gloves!
you say that, but look at the difference in the psyche of the two fighters, toney who was hit in the head a whole bunch for a living and only a handful of fully functioning brain cells left, and couture, who is still extremely intelligent despite being hit with the smaller gloves his whole career.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts

Looking at it the other way, imagine getting hit in the face with 4oz gloves from a future Hall of Fame boxer? Basically, the glove thing is a bigger advantage to Toney than Couture. Its not like Couture is big on taking punches. Toney has been taking punches to his moon head for 30 years.

There are lots of areas where Couture has the advantage and can crush Toney. The glove size isn't one of them.

you say that, but look at the difference in the psyche of the two fighters, toney who was hit in the head a whole bunch for a living and only a handful of fully functioning brain cells left, and couture, who is still extremely intelligent despite being hit with the smaller gloves his whole career.
Sorry to break it to you, but Toney was the same bumbling fool a decade ago! I searched out some old interviews in the hope I could make a humorous "James Toney : Before & After" thread... but all I found were interviews with Toney sounding exactly the same! I dont think hes punch drunk... Its his genetics! He came outta his mommy mumbling something about, "kill these fools nuwumsayin".

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Looking at it the other way, imagine getting hit in the face with 4oz gloves from a future Hall of Fame boxer? Basically, the glove thing is a bigger advantage to Toney than Couture. Its not like Couture is big on taking punches. Toney has been taking punches to his moon head for 30 years.

There are lots of areas where Couture has the advantage and can crush Toney. The glove size isn't one of them.
True it is probably more of an advantage to Toney and if Randy gets caught he is probably gonna be out for about 15mins!
My point is just that because Toney wasn't KOd in his boxing career you can't assume that his chin will be fine when he is clinched up against the cage on the recieving end of some dirty boxing because the difference in gloves is so big.
Tbh I think Toney could wear 20oz gloves and would still stand a chance of KOing Randy, but Randy hits sufficiently hard that wearing 4oz gloves he could also put Toney out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry to break it to you, but Toney was the same bumbling fool a decade ago! I searched out some old interviews in the hope I could make a humorous "James Toney : Before & After" thread... but all I found were interviews with Toney sounding exactly the same! I dont think hes punch drunk... Its his genetics! He came outta his mommy mumbling something about, "kill these fools nuwumsayin".
A decade ago would have only been 2000 (as scary as that is 0.0) which means my point could still stand since hes been boxing since the late 80's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.