Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who do you think should be the LW champ right now?

• BJ Penn

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • Frankie Edgar

Votes: 76 51.7%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like the idea of immediate rematches unless the result is really controversial like Machida/Shogun. I know the Penn/Edgar fight was close and a lot of people scored it for BJ, but I don't think it was nearly as controversial as Machida/Shogun. I decided to post a poll so we can see what people really think.

PS. I'm voting for Edgar, I scored it 48-47.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Edgar 48-47 (rounds 1-2 to BJ)

edit: nowhere near as close as Shogun Machida, can't even compare since Shogun clearly won imo.

·
Registered
362 Posts
edgar 48/47

post above me is about identical to my thoughts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, it was a close fight but not controversial. Judges got it right.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I agree Edgar won a fair decision, his movement was to quick for Penn on the night, he was able to get in quick land a few good shots and get out before Penn had time to counter with his more powerful shots successfully for the majority of the fight, he obviously had a game plan and executed it perfectly, was a world class performance imo, and he won just like I suspected he would, I have always rated Edgar's speed and movement very highly.

Edit: Haver only watched the fight once live on the night so would like to see it again before casing a verdict on what the score was but if I recall correctly I thought it was 49/46 on the night to Edgar, I remember waiting for the decision hoping that it would be given in favour of Edgar because I felt he clearly deserved it, and thats not because I dont like Penn, I am a big BJ Penn fan, but Frankie was the better man on the day.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
48-47 to BJ .

Bouncing around and staying busy shouldn't gave edgar the fight . first 3 round bj won every exchange and i don't think that trip should count as edgar taking him down .

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I find it very weird that so many people saw Edgar winning this. The first 2 weren't even close and the 3rd (while closer) seemed to me like it was clearly Penn's. The 4th was extremely close (edge Edgar maybe, but definitely closer than the first 3) and Edgar got the 5th.

I don't see how people are giving Edgar the 3rd.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very close fight not as close as Machida/Shogun which prolly was a tie. I think however BJ will win the rematch.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rounds 1 and 2 were clearly Penns

Round 3 was closer but Penn edged it with more effective/damaging strikes

Round 4 was a draw but if i had to give it to anyone it would be Edgar

Round 5 was clearly edgars

I think the problem is still the way they judge fights. Frankies main weapon in that fight was his leg kicks, besides from that he landed some average punches that didnt seem to effect BJ much. So I guess it comes down to how valuable do you perceive those leg kicks to be.

All I know is Edgars leg kicks wer'nt half as effective as Rua's yet the judges gave Frankie alot of credit for his kicks and Rua none! Makes no sense to me

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Am looking forward to seeing this fight again maybe I will have a clear picture then of how close it was, but I seriously believed at the time that Edgar clearly won.

It came down to strategy in my initial opinion on the night, to me Penn was predictable he took the exact same approach as he did against Sanchez and it looked to me like thats exactly what Edgar was expecting and he was able to execute a strategy to counter the way Penn fought perfectly like it had been worked on in training.

As a result it looked like Edgar was ready and prepared well to handle what Penn brought into the octagon where as Penn was not prepared to handle the speed and movement of Frankie and Penn never imo pinned Edgars timing, and as a result Edgar was able to be the aggressor and land more shots while Penn was trying to figure out how to get the fight down to the pace he wanted but never quite got there.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
BJ won way more than most of the extanges.

He stalked damn near the entire time.

Stopped almost every takedown .

Was never in trouble at all or hurt.

He threw less... but landed more...

IMO he won that fight..

Reactions: Icculus

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
This fight warrants more of a rematch than the Machida Shogun fight. What people seem to be forgetting is that you can not judge damage. You can not judge how hard someone hits. Machida landed like 4 times more strikes than Shogun and will do so again in a rematch. Machida is someone you have to finish to beat because he is a point based striker.

Frankie moved well and landed more shots in the later rounds. The third was really anyones round IMO and the judges gave it to Edgar. This fight I would not disagree with a rematch as much as I do with the Machida Shogun fight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I find it very weird that so many people saw Edgar winning this. The first 2 weren't even close and the 3rd (while closer) seemed to me like it was clearly Penn's. The 4th was extremely close (edge Edgar maybe, but definitely closer than the first 3) and Edgar got the 5th.

I don't see how people are giving Edgar the 3rd.
I agree. I dont see what fight they were watching. You have to remember just cuz you bounce around doesnt win you that round. I saw Edgar get punched in the face many times in that round and he didnt like it and ran away. Sorry but i'm going to say it. BJ was robbed.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Bas Ruten just said on inside MMA he thinks BJ won the fight and Bas knows all.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This fight warrants more of a rematch than the Machida Shogun fight. What people seem to be forgetting is that you can not judge damage. You can not judge how hard someone hits. Machida landed like 4 times more strikes than Shogun and will do so again in a rematch. Machida is someone you have to finish to beat because he is a point based striker.

Frankie moved well and landed more shots in the later rounds. The third was really anyones round IMO and the judges gave it to Edgar. This fight I would not disagree with a rematch as much as I do with the Machida Shogun fight.
Actually, according to FightMetric, Shogun landed almost twice as many strikes as Machida.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts