Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent really seen this discussed yet, So I thought I would give it a shot.

Anyone think that the pressure is getting to Chuck? Constantly getting told to retire, that each fight is going to be his last. That might put too much pressure on him, or in the back of his mind, that he needs to go out guns blazing, to go for the kill when he doesnt need to.

Last night we saw a clear example of Chuck over committing. I am happy Franklin won, as I am a bigger fan of his than Liddell's(dont hate him). If Chuck stayed in control, picked him apart, then he would most likely come out with a victory somewhere in the fight, especially after the fact that Franklin broke his arm.

So the question is, Does anyone think that the constant talk of him being forced to retire, of it always being his last fight. Does it make him do things that he wouldnt normally do 3 years ago when he was at his prime?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I havent really seen this discussed yet, So I thought I would give it a shot.

Anyone think that the pressure is getting to Chuck? Constantly getting told to retire, that each fight is going to be his last. That might put too much pressure on him, or in the back of his mind, that he needs to go out guns blazing, to go for the kill when he doesnt need to.

Last night we saw a clear example of Chuck over committing. I am happy Franklin won, as I am a bigger fan of his than Liddell's(dont hate him). If Chuck stayed in control, picked him apart, then he would most likely come out with a victory somewhere in the fight, especially after the fact that Franklin broke his arm.

So the question is, Does anyone think that the constant talk of him being forced to retire, of it always being his last fight. Does it make him do things that he wouldnt normally do 3 years ago when he was at his prime?
I think he is trying too hard to prove he still "has it" and is definitely over committing. The less he counter strikes and tries to be the aggressor the more he gets KTFO.

I think Chuck could have won that fight had he been less aggressive.

·
Registered
742 Posts
As far as a reason why Chuck lost, how about diminishing physical ablities instead of finding bullshit reasons as to why he lost like saying he got caught or he choked, he's old thats why. I personally didn't think Chuck looked as great as alot of people are saying he looked. He came out very desperate, pushed the pace while leaving his hands down and swinging like a wild man and 70% of his punches completely whiffed and Franklin countered most of his punches. He landed 1 good body kick, had an okay takedown but his top game cracked me up at how bad it looked. I was a huge Chuck fan for a long time and he is a legend but this happens to every athlete and it's better to just accept it and move on instead of trying to grasp at straws of hope or try and convince yourself he is still a top fighter or has a snowball's chance in hell at competeing against any top guy at 205. He needs to reitre.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as a reason why Chuck lost, how about diminishing physical ablities instead of finding bullshit reasons as to why he lost like saying he got caught or he choked, he's old thats why. I personally didn't think Chuck looked as great as alot of people are saying he looked. He came out very desperate, pushed the pace while leaving his hands down and swinging like a wild man and 70% of his punches completely whiffed and Franklin countered most of his punches. He landed 1 good body kick, had an okay takedown but his top game cracked me up at how bad it looked. I was a huge Chuck fan for a long time and he is a legend but this happens to every athlete and it's better to just accept it and move on instead of trying to grasp at straws of hope or try and convince yourself he is still a top fighter or has a snowball's chance in hell at competeing against any top guy at 205. He needs to reitre.
Well, he did get "caught" but I agree his abilities aren't the same. It happens to older fighters so you use your experience and evolve to make up for it. I still say a less aggressive Chuck would have won that fight. But we will never know.

Kinda sad he didn't get to fight Tito because beating up on Tito would have been a nice confidence boost. LOL

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, he did get "caught" but I agree his abilities aren't the same. It happens to older fighters so you use your experience and evolve to make up for it. I still say a less aggressive Chuck would have won that fight. But we will never know.

Kinda sad he didn't get to fight Tito because beating up on Tito would have been a nice confidence boost. LOL
I dont even know it's a given that he would beat Tito anymore that's how unimpressed I was at his performance. As far as getting caught, he got caught because he is slow, had sloppy/poor striking technique that led to both his hands being at his waist, I hate when people imply it was a "lucky" punch because it wasnt at all, Chuck just had awful technique and reaction time and Franklin countered perfectly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont even know it's a given that he would beat Tito anymore that's how unimpressed I was at his performance. As far as getting caught, he got caught because he is slow, had sloppy/poor striking technique that led to both his hands being at his waist, I hate when people imply it was a "lucky" punch because it wasnt at all, Chuck just had awful technique and reaction time and Franklin countered perfectly.
I never said it was "lucky" as it was a great counter. But as I said in a couple other threads Chuck needs to go back to being more of a counter puncher as his style isn't crisp. Chuck has never had good technique. Chuck was a great counter striker when his opponents were being aggressive. He'd catch his opponent with a big right counter THEN go in wild when he's hurt. It seems like he has tried to be the aggressor his last few fights and look what has happened.

Chuck was easily winning that round and there was no reason to go in wild like he did. Not making excuses for him, I'm just saying I would have liked to see him be a more patient fighter.

As far as Tito Chuck will always beat Tito. I like Tito but Chuck has his number. Just like Anderson has Franklin's.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I never said it was "lucky" as it was a great counter. But as I said in a couple other threads Chuck needs to go back to being more of a counter puncher as his style isn't crisp. Chuck has never had good technique. Chuck was a great counter striker when his opponents were being aggressive. He'd catch his opponent with a big right counter THEN go in wild when he's hurt. It seems like he has tried to be the aggressor his last few fights and look what has happened.

Chuck was easily winning that round and there was no reason to go in wild like he did. Not making excuses for him, I'm just saying I would have liked to see him be a more patient fighter.

As far as Tito Chuck will always beat Tito. I like Tito but Chuck has his number. Just like Anderson has Franklin's.
I wasnt talking about you specifically there are a number of people that use the getting caught thing as a cop out to why Chuck lost or why Lyoto lost etc. I dunno about easily winning the round he as winning on points but Franklin was landing and countering everytime Chuck threw. Due to the scoring system I would have scored the round for Chuck but I dont believe the round to be nearly as one-sdied or dominant as alot of people have been making it out to be.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wasnt talking about you specifically there are a number of people that use the getting caught thing as a cop out to why Chuck lost or why Lyoto lost etc. I dunno about easily winning the round he as winning on points but Franklin was landing and countering everytime Chuck threw. Due to the scoring system I would have scored the round for Chuck but I dont believe the round to be nearly as one-sdied or dominant as alot of people have been making it out to be.
Got ya. I don't really believe in "lucky" punches. And no he wasn't dominating but the round was his and he had to have known it. NO reason to come in and throw wild punches like that with 10 seconds to go when Rich wasn't hurt.

When I watch fights from 2000-2006(except the Tito fights) Chuck had great lateral movement and would throw counters when his opponent came in. If he did engage it was usually a jab, jab/left hook or a 1-2 and get out. And he would usually let his opponent be the aggressor. If you watch his fights after 2007 he is more aggressive and comes in swinging for the knockout.

I'm not saying his chin is the same or he hasn't lost some reflexes because I'm sure he has. BUT, if you know this then you should go back to what worked the best. Come in with a 1-2 and get out. Let them have the center and use lateral movement to get good angles and use that bomb of a right as a counter strike. Maybe it would work better maybe it wouldn't. But I would like to see him try. If he tries and still gets KTFO then at least he knows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts