Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
You'll never get 100% perfect reffing, but you can hope for less incidences of controversy. I do wonder what the barriers are to restarting a fight when refs realize they made a terrible call? Perhaps they are expected to be decisive, right or wrong, but at least letting a fight restart might make the damage a little less.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
haha herb dean should be putting on clinics and choking out refs so they know what it's like.:thumb02:
Ya the highlight of the video! Such a shame Big John and ufc can't hug it out so we'd see him back there. Other than Herb Dean, Big John is the only experienced and reliable enough judge I would want judging the big fights. Well actually Yamasaki is pretty decent too, but a tier lower than those 2.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I think Josh Rosenthal is actually a really decent ref, along with Herb Dean and of course, Big John. Yamasaki isn't bad, but isn't as good as those three. Lavigne made a really big gaffe last night, but he's usually been okay, along with Miragliotta. The only referee I think that outright sucks is Mazzagatti. The guy is outright terrible. I seriously could put on the ref outfit and do a better job than he could. He tops any poor referee I've ever seen in all of professional sports.

·
Registered
780 Posts
sad to see the devolution of chuck, he dominated that first round, on the feet and with a takedown, but his chin being such that he just cant take that bomb like he used to, same thing with lil evil.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think Josh Rosenthal is actually a really decent ref, along with Herb Dean and of course, Big John. Yamasaki isn't bad, but isn't as good as those three. Lavigne made a really big gaffe last night, but he's usually been okay, along with Miragliotta. The only referee I think that outright sucks is Mazzagatti. The guy is outright terrible. I seriously could put on the ref outfit and do a better job than he could. He tops any poor referee I've ever seen in all of professional sports.
That I definetily disagree with. Here is a nice highlight clip of his nicest moves so far:

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
No surprises here really, Ariel always seems to get the best after Mr White. Chuck's done, and I'm glad, but I still want him to be around, maybe as a third commentator? Cro Cop aint done, which would just be silly if he was. The only thing that confuses me is, why, if he feels Herb Dean is the best ref in the game, which he is, has he only said five words to him?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
That I definetily disagree with. Here is a nice highlight clip of his nicest moves so far:
No doubt that Miragliotta is the worst regular UFC referee, but I still don't understand why people think Vera vs Werdum was an early stoppage. Vera clearly wasn't intelligently defending himself.

Many of the guys though that you just see reffing one event (I don't know if they get fired by the AC afterwards or if they are regional or whatever) actually suck beyond all reasonable imagination and make Big Dan look good. I remember one time when one fighter had the other's back and the ref broke them up because somebody in the audience was booing.:confused05:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Ya the highlight of the video! Such a shame Big John and ufc can't hug it out so we'd see him back there. Other than Herb Dean, Big John is the only experienced and reliable enough judge I would want judging the big fights. Well actually Yamasaki is pretty decent too, but a tier lower than those 2.
As Dana said in the interview embedded in this thread.... the UFC has nothing to do with the refs, this includes hiring and firing them.
As I understand it John decided to quit reffing to be a movie star or some such and said A LOT of nasty, mean spirited things on his way out, burning his bridge behind him.
His problem is not with the UFC, but rather with the Commisions.
Note: I wasn't there so if you have some correction to this info kindly correct it without calling me stupid, an ass or some such arrogant comment.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
at 7:30 of the video, did dana say, "you might as well AXE me about...?" an no i don't know if that's how you spell that ridiculous slang, but that's what it sounded like.
Maybe he's a fan of Futurama. :confused02:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.