Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
LethalLLama
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone thought it would take for Pride to become #1 in the USA. I believe since Pride pays the fighters more they need to try and lure some of the UFC fighters over there. If they did this Dana might wake up and start paying more.:dunno:

·
ACI Level 1
228 Posts
screw the US. Pride is the best org in MMA as it stands. I hope it stays in Japan personally. I'd hate to see it change just to get a new fan base.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its better in Japan but i do not mind the odd show here in America. I like how there shows are set up and all of there fans understand MMA. Not like in America there is usually that group of drunk people who boo at the ground game because they simply do not understand it. I was supprised how good the people acted during there show, but they should not change it it's set up great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the most important step would be luring american fighters. People would pay attention if they saw names they knew. If they can get the UFC vs Pride matches going, that'd be just as good for them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I dont think USA will get to see Pride's goodness :D .. because your Government thinks tha 10 min first round is to dangerous .. and there so many other rules that have change in UFC because of the US's governemt that UFC just cant keep up ..... like stomps to the players face... lol.. that sounds bad.. but its not because these TRAINED fighters dont want that to happen to them.. so they try and aviod it.. so .. UFC has been regulated to POOP .. and Pride has taken the old UFC rules and revamped them and made it into a really competitive sport... where as UFC isn't that competitive anymore.. the only people ufc really gets .. are the people from the stupid reality tv show........... and thats not a good talent pool to get from...

Pride >> UFC

·
Registered
332 Posts
daman5 said:
I dont think USA will get to see Pride's goodness :D .. because your Government thinks tha 10 min first round is to dangerous .. and there so many other rules that have change in UFC because of the US's governemt that UFC just cant keep up ..... like stomps to the players face... lol.. that sounds bad.. but its not because these TRAINED fighters dont want that to happen to them.. so they try and aviod it.. so .. UFC has been regulated to POOP .. and Pride has taken the old UFC rules and revamped them and made it into a really competitive sport... where as UFC isn't that competitive anymore.. the only people ufc really gets .. are the people from the stupid reality tv show........... and thats not a good talent pool to get from...

Pride >> UFC

I agree completely.:thumbsup: Thats why Silva vs Liddell should take place in Japan because I think it would be a more competitive fight.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
You guys all made good points, I don't want to see Pride change either, I honestly don't think they should even bother trying to win over American fans, but I think if that is the goal, they would have to change some things.

·
Registered
598 Posts
nope.. just fight up here in canada.. and put it on PPV and let the americans watch it from there.. because i believe they can watch it if they pay for it.. so Canada allows the rules.. because its a sporting event.. where they have rules and everything else..

then american fighters can fight for pride .. and not have to go over to japan... so americans can see their heros lose to pride fighters

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
iwasthere said:
I was wondering what everyone thought it would take for Pride to become #1 in the USA. I believe since Pride pays the fighters more they need to try and lure some of the UFC fighters over there. If they did this Dana might wake up and start paying more.:dunno:
Pride doesn't pay their fighters more.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
FromHereOn said:
screw the US. Pride is the best org in MMA as it stands. I hope it stays in Japan personally. I'd hate to see it change just to get a new fan base.
PRIDE has to find a new fan base. They just lost a huge TV contract in Japan and have been battered by links to organized crime.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
pride should keep theyre shows just as they do in japan. a trip to america here and there would be nice, but they shouldnt change their areas. i enjoy pride more than ufc most the time. pride with a huge dome in japan is how it should stay. i honestly think pride is the better oraganization and offers alot more action packed fights. and if fighters want to test themselves let them go to japan and not japan come here. dont get me wrong though im in love with ufc and keep up with both organizations. pride just...........kicks ass

·
ACI Level 1
228 Posts
theboz19 said:
PRIDE has to find a new fan base. They just lost a huge TV contract in Japan and have been battered by links to organized crime.
I totally disagree. The TV contract (with ONE cable company) wasn't that huge, nor were the implacations of being in bed with organized crime. There's probably going to be a slander suit filed against the offending company.

Nothing at all so bad to force Pride to sell itself short.

·
Registered
598 Posts
cabby said:
pride should keep theyre shows just as they do in japan. a trip to america here and there would be nice, but they shouldnt change their areas. i enjoy pride more than ufc most the time. pride with a huge dome in japan is how it should stay. i honestly think pride is the better oraganization and offers alot more action packed fights. and if fighters want to test themselves let them go to japan and not japan come here. dont get me wrong though im in love with ufc and keep up with both organizations. pride just...........kicks ass

see... i dont think you get it fully!!! .. Pride cant goto the USA!!!!! why do you think when it came to the US .. they had to change the rules!!! its because it is to "voilent" for your sensitive eyes....... i dont know how much more i can say.. with out dumming it down.. PRIDE CAN'T COME TO THE USA unless YOU do something about it!!!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
daman5 said:
nope.. just fight up here in canada.. and put it on PPV and let the americans watch it from there.. because i believe they can watch it if they pay for it.. so Canada allows the rules.. because its a sporting event.. where they have rules and everything else..

then american fighters can fight for pride .. and not have to go over to japan... so americans can see their heros lose to pride fighters
canada:thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I actually like the ufc rules better than Pride rules, for 2 reasons. Elbows and Octagon. Boxing rings are fine for standing fights, however moving fights to the middle of the ring is gay. There are pride rules I like, striking downed opponents, yellow cards. I am not sure what I feel about the 10 minute rounds. I could not imagine fighting for that long with out a break. Sometimes it is good sometimes its bad.

I think the UFC publicity will bring fans to Pride. I watched the first 4 UFC's but then I lost intersest after gracie beat everybody. It wasnt until I watch a pride fight for the first time I got intersed in MMA however. UFC will be more popular here for quite a while because of the fact the UFC has american fighters and a reality tv show.

What would be good for the sport is an agreement between Pride and the UFC. To let there top fighters fight each other. That way we would not have to argue about which one is better. Even thought the organizations are almost equal as far as talent goes in my eyes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
sxrxnrr said:
I actually like the ufc rules better than Pride rules, for 2 reasons. Elbows and Octagon. Boxing rings are fine for standing fights, however moving fights to the middle of the ring is gay. There are pride rules I like, striking downed opponents, yellow cards. I am not sure what I feel about the 10 minute rounds. I could not imagine fighting for that long with out a break. Sometimes it is good sometimes its bad.

I think the UFC publicity will bring fans to Pride. I watched the first 4 UFC's but then I lost intersest after gracie beat everybody. It wasnt until I watch a pride fight for the first time I got intersed in MMA however. UFC will be more popular here for quite a while because of the fact the UFC has american fighters and a reality tv show.

What would be good for the sport is an agreement between Pride and the UFC. To let there top fighters fight each other. That way we would not have to argue about which one is better. Even thought the organizations are almost equal as far as talent goes in my eyes.
Amen, perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this would be as easy as shooting a kodiak with no bullets but I would love to see a huge merger. Imagine one huge organization like the NFL. Every dream fight we could imagine would be possible.

FWIW I think ropes on an MMA ring are pretty stupid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts