Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The psychologist quoted is Joe Bell:

"The best when it comes to the staredown is Fedor Emelianenko. Watch him: he does not make eye contact and his entire expression is extremely relaxed - you would think he is about to sit down for dinner or something.

"But here is the crucial thing. When the referee tells them to head back to their corners, Fedor suddenly darts a short look directly at his opponent - or through his opponent, I should say.

"This kind of look is associated with antisocial behavioural disorders and psychopaths. They don't look at you, they look through you. It's emotionless, it goes deeper than skin level.

"You will get a lot of fighters who will catch that look and suddenly realise they don't want to be there.
Mind Games: Psychological Warfare in MMA, an article in issue 56 of Fighters Only magazine

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
I shivered. Fedor's terrifying hahaha.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Fedor looks the same all the time :laugh:
Seriously...i like how relaxed he looks before a fight.
And the way he comes into the ring/cage.
He is the best at this.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wow thnx man (but i dont think this is true), its even scary reading about it. I also noticed the look after the referee tells them to go back to their corner. I think fedor knows that he can intimidate fighters and he does this too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I doubt fighters would know this though, I'd just assume that Fedor doesn't look at you. Pretty interesting break down but I don't think Fedor is a pshycopath..now is he? or maybe he is who knows

Though I wonder what he'd hve to say about Wanderlei's staredown

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I doubt fighters would know this though, I'd just assume that Fedor doesn't look at you. Pretty interesting break down but I don't think Fedor is a pshycopath..now is he? or maybe he is who knows

Though I wonder what he'd hve to say about Wanderlei's staredown
I dont think Wanderlei would even dare ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think he might be reading a little too much into this. The scariest thing about Fedor in the staredown is the part about relaxation.

Fedor looks like exactly what he is; someone who is doing something he has done many times before, and has total confidence he can do it better than you.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Not being able to make eye contact can also be a case of ADHS. My cousin had it as a child and he still has problems maintaining eye contact.
I am assuming you meant to say ADHD. I have ADHD and although I have never researched or asked about it, I don't really maintain eye contact with people throughout a conversation. It is weird. I am into the conversation completely, but I am always looking past the person or next to them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am assuming you meant to say ADHD. I have ADHD and although I have never researched or asked about it, I don't really maintain eye contact with people throughout a conversation. It is weird. I am into the conversation completely, but I am always looking past the person or next to them.
Same here....I was diagnosed last year with it...it drives my wife crazy when I don't look her in the eyes.

I love Fedor's staredown, or lack of!

·
Registered
299 Posts
"This kind of look is associated with antisocial behavioural disorders and psychopaths. They don't look at you, they look through you. It's emotionless, it goes deeper than skin level."

The difference is that Fedor is not an individual with antisocial personality disorder nor is he a psychopath- so this statement is pointless. I bet 100% Fedor thinks this is rubbish- he's not interested in mind games.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts