Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going to fight or announce:

Jens "Lil Evil" Pulver has been released from the WEC and will not take part in the WEC broadcasting team, reported MMAFighting.

"He has been released," said Zuffa president Dana White. "We talked about Jens being a part of the WEC somehow, but he's not broadcasting."

"I love the UFC, I love the WEC, I love Zuffa," said Pulver. "But I'm 0-5 (in my last five fights), so I get it."

Indeed, the 35-year-old Pulver's 1-6 record since moving down a weight class and into the WEC is a far cry from his days as the UFC's lightweight champion. He was one of only two lightweights to defeat BJ Penn, and has amassed a 22-13-1 record since his pro debut in 1999.

After losing two straight fights in the UFC to Joe Lauzon in 2006 and Penn in 2007, Pulver made the move to featherweight and the WEC, where he made quick work of Cub Swanson in his promotional debut, winning in 35 seconds with an anaconda choke. Since then, he has lost five straight times, most recently to Javier Vasquez by armbar at WEC 47 in March 2010.

"I don't want to cry in front of you (the fans) no more," he said following the Vasquez loss. "I've put y'all through this way too many times."

Many took that statement to mean that Pulver planned to retire, but on a May 8 episode of HDNet's "Inside MMA," he said that he was not retired, and in fact would never officially retire, that when he was done fighting he would just "ride off into the sunset."

"I'm never leaving this sport," said Pulver on the show. "I'll be retired when I'm underground."

Though his future in fighting is uncertain, perhaps he will stay with Zuffa in some capacity. And although White said Pulver would not be in the broadcast booth (most likely because Stephan Bonnar was recently announced as having landed that job), Lil Evil was well-received as a commentator and could possibly find work in another promotion. He has also opened up his own gym, the Driven Training Center in Idaho.

Throughout Pulver's career, his heart, guts and toughness have remained unquestioned. Jens Pulver is, and will always be, a fighter, but perhaps his battles in the cage are behind him.
Link

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pulver is a kick ass coach and an awesome fighter. He's paid his dues and was an upper echalon fighter for a long time. His gym will flourish I'm sure and people like him, so he'll always be around one way or another.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I will miss seeing Lil Evil bang it out in the cage. That guy was always down to trade with anyone. He didn't care who you were. If you were faster, hit harder, or just flat out a better figher, you could count on Pulver to make it a fight with you. He will be missed and hopefully his gym does well!

I for one will miss seeing him fight. I hope he stays in a position with Zuffa where the fans like me can still see him somehow.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
This sucks. Lil Evil had a very hard road to get where he is, and it sucks that this is happening to him.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This sucks. Lil Evil had a very hard road to get where he is, and it sucks that this is happening to him.
I think the Grispi fight was an indicating example of the torch being passed from the old school fighter to the future young fighter...I wonder who will sign Pulver next?

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I think the Grispi fight was an indicating example of the torch being passed from the old school fighter to the future young fighter...I wonder who will sign Pulver next?
It depends on if Pulver decides to continue fighting anymore. I am sure that someone would give him fights, it is up to him to decide though.

they should of atleast give him a job doing something.
They said that Pulver could have a job with Zuffa somehow, but that it would not me broadcasting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
They said that Pulver could have a job with Zuffa somehow, but that it would not me broadcasting.
Maybe as a ref or something. the UFC was talking about giving retired fighters jobs within the compnay including judging and reffing. so this would be a good start.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This really should have happened a couple fights ago. It's good to hear that Dana is going to hook him up though. After all the wars he's fought he deserves to have a job within Zuffa.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
This is like an aging QB in the NFL who finally gets traded or cut, even though he kinda deserves it, you are still shocked :(

I wont be surprised if Jardine or bonnar is next.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
No surprise there, Jens is great though, hopefully he stays around in some form.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No surprise there, Jens is great though, hopefully he stays around in some form.
He is, though on the outs with the WEC, Pulver's already got a fight lined up in August at one of those boxing/mma shows. Still no opponent named yet.

·
Call Me King
419 Posts
It was about time, Pulver was a great fighter. But he just cant do it anymore agains the new breed of fighters, we are seeing it with all the legends. Urijah, Torres, Pulver, Chuck, Cro Cop, it is nothing new. He needs to retire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts