Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know about the fence grabbing going on in fights. It's against the rules and is downright cheating when it boils down. I am always up for a punishment for this crap. I understand it is acceptable or understandable in certain cases, but when it is done multiple times, and/or it changes the outcome of a fight, I strongly believe there should be some kind of punishment assessed. I don't care if it's KenFlo, or Chuck Liddel. Regardless of the fighter it is still cheating and completely unfair to the other fighter. I wanna hear some of your ideas of a fair punishment for this.

Here's my idea...I think if it happens more than once and/or changes the outcome of the fight, then the next fight that he has, the commentators and anyone associated with the PPV and the advertising of the PPV, should refer to that fighter as "The Fence Grabber". Whatever their nickname is, just completely disregard it for one PPV, and constantly refer to him as "The Fence Grabber". Bruce Buffer makes his announcement..."And now...the fighter standing to my left...this man holds a black belt in jiu jitsu, with a MMA record of 7 wins with 3 losses...fighting out of Boston, Massachutsetts...Kenny "The Fence Grabber" Floriaaaaan!" (just an easy example, not picking on Kenny in particular...this time ;) ).

All during the fight Joe Rogan or Goldberg or Couture or whoever is commentating must always refer to him as "The Fence Grabber".

Rogan:Wow look at that! He's got a kimura! He's got it deep! This could be it! No, The Fence Grabber slips out! Wow! What an amazing display of jiu jitsu by The Fence Grabber!

Goldberg:They don't call him the fence grabber for nothing Joe. Xyience. Blade the series. Saw 3. Jackass 2. Right Guard Xtreme. The Brothers Grimm. SpikeTV. The Ultimate Fighter. Matt Hughes. Tim Sylvia. Chuck Liddell. Tito Ortiz. UFC.

I think this would be a great punishment. It would add humiliation but they would at least still be able to fight. What is your opinion on this punishment and what do you think a fair punishment should be. My second choice was a doc in pay.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sounds like a great punishment:laugh: The UFC definitly need to come up with a punishment that eliminates cheating, because fencegrabbing is a problem and its unfair especially towards the grapplers/wrestlers.

What I dont understand is why this rule exists. Holding the fence to avoid being to taking down is against the rules, but pushing your opponents head against the fence is OK. I have said this before, but I think the UFC wants to give an advantage to the wrestlers/grapplers against the strikers. Thats allright in my opinion, but then they need to come with some kind of punishment that makes sure no one will grab the fence anymore.

Maybe to be warned the first time/first two times you grab the fence and be disqualified the second/ third time it happens would be sufficient to stop this kind of cheating or being called the fence grabber repeatedly!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
Goldberg:They don't call him the fence grabber for nothing Joe. Xyience. Blade the series. Saw 3. Jackass 2. Right Guard Xtreme. The Brothers Grimm. SpikeTV. The Ultimate Fighter. Matt Hughes. Tim Sylvia. Chuck Liddell. Tito Ortiz. UFC.

LOL!! So ture.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it sucks that it happens but I bet most of the time the fighters dont even realize they are doing it. At least not the first time they are warned. After the first warning they should clue in. It's pure instinct to grab at something to stabilize yourself when someone is trying to throw you to the ground.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris32 said:
I think it sucks that it happens but I bet most of the time the fighters dont even realize they are doing it. At least not the first time they are warned. After the first warning they should clue in. It's pure instinct to grab at something to stabilize yourself when someone is trying to throw you to the ground.
Oh yea for sure. I can't say I wouldn't grab the fence if I were to fight Couture or Sherk, but if you grab it more than once, it seems we all agree that is uncalled for. One time is ok, given the circumstances, but multiple times, and using both hands is definately grounds for some kind of punishment. Yellow cards would be effective, like I said, doc their pay 10% for each time they grab after their initial warning.

Another idea is to have the ref start pointing and shouting at the fighter really loud "Hey FENCE GRABBER! Hey get off the fence you fence grabber! GET OFF! Get off that fence! You're a dirty FENCE GRABBER! Stop trying to cheat fence grabber" right in the middle of the fight. That way the fence grabber's like "what the ****? This ref is nuts" gets distracted and the other fighter gets his chance to take advantage since he lost out on his original idea due to the fence grab. I can only imagine Steve Mazzagatti doing this though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There really outta be a yellow/red card system or something so people wont grab the fence. Its ridiculus, I was watching a fight (forget which one) and the refs yelling get off the fence and the guy proceeds to grab it untill hes in a safe position for himself. Obviously this was done becasue he knew he could get away with it. If they made a penilty for this and lay-and-preying than id be a happy person.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
why not make it one of those fences that could send a surge of electricty when you notice someone is grabing it hahaha

·
Registered
80 Posts
In all seriousness (because I'm a serious guy), the refs should simply call it more often. They're allowed to deduct a point from a guy and they should use their discretion more often. For instance, when Sherk was going to slam KenFlo and he grabbed on to the fence, the ref should've turned to the judges and knocked off a point for KenFlo.

Failing that, we could make them get a tattoo - a whole backpiece of Tim Sylvia's face. If that's not deterrent enough, nothing is.

By the way, did you hear Sylvia crapped himself?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
f***in kenny" the fence grabber" florian. If he hadn't held on to the fence like a little girl then sherk would have slammed him so hard the ufc floor would have caved in. It would surley have been a highlight reel and we would always be seeing " the fence grabber " being slammed so hard that the floor caved in. However " the fence grabber" had to ruin it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lame thread. Guys use the fence all the time, get over it you pansies. Sean "the Steroid Shark" Sherk shouldn't even be in a ring considering all the roids he took back before they started testing him...if they even do. The guy is a joke, UFC letting that fight go that long with him bleeding like someone gutted his ass IS A JOKE, and Kenny Florian & he being in the LW Title fight without any kind of pre-qualifiers is the biggest f-ing joke in the history of MMA....except for thinking Sylvia would have a chance against Fedor maybe.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Quietus said:
In all seriousness (because I'm a serious guy), the refs should simply call it more often. They're allowed to deduct a point from a guy and they should use their discretion more often. For instance, when Sherk was going to slam KenFlo and he grabbed on to the fence, the ref should've turned to the judges and knocked off a point for KenFlo.

Failing that, we could make them get a tattoo - a whole backpiece of Tim Sylvia's face. If that's not deterrent enough, nothing is.

By the way, did you hear Sylvia crapped himself?

haha bringing up the shitting again.
Yeah they really should call it more often, its out of hand sometimes.
Tim Sylvia is a fence grabbing offender also.

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pr0d1gy said:
Lame thread. Guys use the fence all the time, get over it you pansies. Sean "the Steroid Shark" Sherk shouldn't even be in a ring considering all the roids he took back before they started testing him...if they even do. The guy is a joke, UFC letting that fight go that long with him bleeding like someone gutted his ass IS A JOKE, and Kenny Florian & he being in the LW Title fight without any kind of pre-qualifiers is the biggest f-ing joke in the history of MMA....except for thinking Sylvia would have a chance against Fedor maybe.
Your calling me a pansy and your *****ing about blood in the ring? Guys bleed all the time, get over it you pansy :cheeky4:

·
Registered
663 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
Your calling me a pansy and your *****ing about blood in the ring? Guys bleed all the time, get over it you pansy :cheeky4:

You seriously need to lay off the drugs. Why would I care about blood in the ring? If a guy is gushing blood all over another fighter the fight should be stopped. Sure Sherk could see, but Florian couldn't & he wasn't even cut. Lame, stupid ass thing for the UFC to let that fight go on when they would have stopped it for anyone else not named Hughes. That's not pansy,stopping a fight for pints of blood, that's part of the fight game.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Pr0d1gy said:
You seriously need to lay off the drugs. Why would I care about blood in the ring? If a guy is gushing blood all over another fighter the fight should be stopped. Sure Sherk could see, but Florian couldn't & he wasn't even cut. Lame, stupid ass thing for the UFC to let that fight go on when they would have stopped it for anyone else not named Hughes. That's not pansy,stopping a fight for pints of blood, that's part of the fight game.
If Florian is getting bleeded on, then I guess he either shouldn't of cut him or he shouldn't of let Sherk get on top, its that simple. And to say they would of stopped it for anyone else not named Hughes, well I don't think Edwin Dewees's last name is Hughes, and his cut was much worse than Sherks. Your making some really valid points man, keep it up. :laugh:

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:

Thats kind of what I was thinking, whining about blood? lol

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Pr0d1gy said:

haha stopping it for blood is part of the game? WHERE???? lol

this is the FIGHT game, and bloods part of it, don't like blood? Probably shouldn't take up mma

·
Sensei
2,359 Posts
Chris32 said:
I agree, I think it is stupid that the UFC allows competitors to be driven and pounded into the fence but you can't hold onto it? In most cases I really think it's just a reaction and not on purpose that most competitors grab it, I'm sure some use it to their advantage but as I said in the beginning it's used for other facets of the fight so either you dis-allow people using it as a tool on all parts or then you should let people use it for whatever, it's fair game to both competitor's, other companies don't have fences for that exact reason. well that's my .02 anyways.:)

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
jamlena said:
I agree, I think it is stupid that the UFC allows competitors to be driven and pounded into the fence but you can't hold onto it? In most cases I really think it's just a reaction and not on purpose that most competitors grab it, I'm sure some use it to their advantage but as I said in the beginning it's used for other facets of the fight so either you dis-allow people using it as a tool on all parts or then you should let people use it for whatever, it's fair game to both competitor's, other companies don't have fences for that exact reason. well that's my .02 anyways.:)

Like who? oh wait, you mean the companies who have ropes?
but they don't let you grab the ropes either.... so

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
AtomDanger said:
Like who? oh wait, you mean the companies who have ropes?
but they don't let you grab the ropes either.... so
True.

I think from now on we should refer to KenFlo as the Fence Grabber, see if it catches on. As far as punishment is concerned, I think you should get a percentage of your payout taken if you grab the cage. I've said this for a long time about the Octagon, GET RID OF IT. The purpose of the octagon was so that no fighter had an advantage while fighting but now so many fighter are used to it and have their own ocatagon in their gyms, that they now have a sleight advantage while fighting. The octagon was cool in the '90 when the UFC was "no holds barred" but now it is a joke, IMO.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Kameleon said:
True.

I think from now on we should refer to KenFlo as the Fence Grabber, see if it catches on. As far as punishment is concerned, I think you should get a percentage of your payout taken if you grab the cage. I've said this for a long time about the Octagon, GET RID OF IT. The purpose of the octagon was so that no fighter had an advantage while fighting but now so many fighter are used to it and have their own ocatagon in their gyms, that they now have a sleight advantage while fighting. The octagon was cool in the '90 when the UFC was "no holds barred" but now it is a joke, IMO.
i agree with you. But at this point in time it would hurt the ufc if the octagon is taken out and replaced with a ring. The octagon is a symbol of the ufc. when people talk about the ufc they think of the fighting organization that uses the octagon. the octagon has become a trademark of the ufcand taking it out now would not be the best idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts