Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How do you tackle this challenge of defending Lesnar's lighting fast takedowns?

Shane: Sprawl and Brawl or just get up and strike.

Question: Who do you train your wrestling with to mimic the size of brock?

Shane: We have some great wresters at UNC and guys like Marquart, Schaub, Amal Easton, Ron Waterman help push me.

Question: How do you defend against Brock using his weight to lay on you? like he does with all his other fights.

Shane: We are pretty similar in size. Around fight night we will both be about 280 pounds. He is fast and the speed is a bigger issue then the size. He has out weighed most of his opponents in the past but he will not on this night.

Question: Since lesnar is gonna be the biggest guy you have faced and that he has just alittle bit more size then you do, do you think that he will have the edge if it goes to the ground??

Shane: He has the edge in Wrestling I think I have the edge everywhere else.
Props to http://www.shane-carwin.com/forum/topics/interview-questions-from

I like how he knows what his advantages and weaknesses are and he's honest about it. This guy is planning on coming in big for this fight! Fireworks baby!

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
He should not being trying to match Lesnar in size. Carwin is already slow enough. Lesnar if he is anywhere near 100% should run through him barring a lucky shot.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He should not being trying to match Lesnar in size. Carwin is already slow enough. Lesnar if he is anywhere near 100% should run through him barring a lucky shot.
If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that is Shane's natural walk around weight.

Run right through him? How so? This wont be an easy fight for either fighter more than likely. Brock cant hold Shane down and he doesnt want to exchange with him, so how does he run through him?

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Reply by Shane Carwin on June 1, 2010 at 10:45am
The Engineer

yes!! hes taken on the nickname the fans gave him!!
once he ktfo brock the only thing standing between him and world domination is king kong- and to be honest i would not bet against Shane "The Engineer" Carwin! Its Carwining time!!!

he should call his right jab "The Carwinator" in honor of what it did to welish and mir.

Great stuff and +rep, as you can tell i am a fan.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I like Carwin's honesty. And I agree with most of what he said. Size is of very little importance in this fight. Its more a matter of who has better technique. And I think Carwin wins that battle. He has decent sprawl ability, but not as good as Lesnar's takedowns. He has decent ground ability, but not as good as Lesnar's. But he's strong enough to match Lesnar's ability to muscle him around. And in the stand up realm he's miles ahead of him. I see this fight as being pretty balanced with one fighter's strength being the other's weaknesses. As I said before when its this balanced, its all a matter of technique.

I completely disagree. I don't see Lesnar dominating in any way, unless Carwin has a bad game plan or can't implement his game plan. IMO if Carwin can sprawl some of the takedowns and use their relative strength to nullify most of Lesnar's ground advantage. I see a Carwin KO in the second or third.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I think it's possible that Lesner will be able to get his take downs, but I really don't think he's going to be able to keep Carwin down and pull off the same time of game plan he use against Herring and Mir. Even completely rocked, with Gonzaga on top of him Carwin just stood right up like it was nothing. Brock will have a very hard time keeping Carwin down if he can even get him there.

On the feet, the edge obviously goes to Carwin. Boxing is just not Brock's game. Carwin one of the most dangerous heavy-weights to stand against toe-to-toe and in the clinch, so either way there Brock is in huge trouble whenever this fight is on the feet.

Basically I think no matter where this fight goes Carwin is the more dangerous fighter. He has better GNP, Boxing and Jitz. We don't know if his wrestling is as good as Brocks, but they may cancel each other out when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I agree with what Shane said on that website. "First big punch probably wins the fight."

Both guys have a killer instinct: As soon as the other guy is rocked they're going to swarm. Unfortunately for Lesnar, he hasn't shown that sharp of stand up whereas we know all it takes is a short shot from Shane to send guys crashing.

I really give the advantage in this fight to Shane. I think Carwin is more of a finisher.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
I agree with what Shane said on that website. "First big punch probably wins the fight."
I really give the advantage in this fight to Shane. I think Carwin is more of a finisher.
Well Brock has never won a fight with one punch so obviously
the advantage goes to Carwin.Brock couldn't even stand with Mir,this fight ends with Carwin by KO (Punch) or Brock by TKO(Strikes) on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that is Shane's natural walk around weight.

Run right through him? How so? This wont be an easy fight for either fighter more than likely. Brock cant hold Shane down and he doesnt want to exchange with him, so how does he run through him?
280lbs is not his normal walk around weight. His last several fights he has been well below the 265 lbs limit. If your cutting 15+lbs to make weight your not going to cut an extra 5-10lbs for the heck of it.

I think it's possible that Lesner will be able to get his take downs, but I really don't think he's going to be able to keep Carwin down and pull off the same time of game plan he use against Herring and Mir. Even completely rocked, with Gonzaga on top of him Carwin just stood right up like it was nothing. Brock will have a very hard time keeping Carwin down if he can even get him there.

On the feet, the edge obviously goes to Carwin. Boxing is just not Brock's game. Carwin one of the most dangerous heavy-weights to stand against toe-to-toe and in the clinch, so either way there Brock is in huge trouble whenever this fight is on the feet.

Basically I think no matter where this fight goes Carwin is the more dangerous fighter. He has better GNP, Boxing and Jitz. We don't know if his wrestling is as good as Brocks, but they may cancel each other out when it comes down to it.
IMO a lot of people are over rating Carwin's striking. He has great power but, sloppy technique. Brock also has a significant reach and speed advantage. If I was in Brock's corner I would be having him work his jap to keep Shane out of range until he can time a takedown get dominant position and end the fight.

Well Brock has never won a fight with one punch so obviously
the advantage goes to Carwin.Brock couldn't even stand with Mir,this fight ends with Carwin by KO (Punch) or Brock by TKO(Strikes) on the ground.
Carwin has a ton of power, but none of the guys he one hit KO were as legit as the guys Brock has fought. Carwin's two legit opponents (Mir and Gonzaga) required GnP to finish them.

Also Mir has better technical standup than Carwin, but got caught in a clinch. Mir outstruck a legit K1 fighter (Kongo) for crying out loud. Also in the first fight Brock dropped him with a punch.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Carwin has a ton of power, none of the guys he one hit KO were as legit as the guys Brock has fought. Carwin's two legit opponents (Mir and Gonzaga) required GnP to finish them.
Um NO? Carwin ko'd Gonzaga, and Christian Wellisch who had an 8-3 record before getting rocked by Carwin, unlike Brock who cant KO anyone standing up.Who were Brock's legit opponents? Heath Herring ? or a 50 yr old men?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
IMO a lot of people are over rating Carwin's striking. He has great power but, sloppy technique. Brock also has a significant reach and speed advantage. If I was in Brock's corner I would be having him work his jap to keep Shane out of range until he can time a takedown get dominant position and end the fight.

Carwin has a ton of power, but none of the guys he one hit KO were as legit as the guys Brock has fought. Carwin's two legit opponents (Mir and Gonzaga) required GnP to finish them.

Also Mir has better technical standup than Carwin, but got caught in a clinch. Mir outstruck a legit K1 fighter (Kongo) for crying out loud. Also in the first fight Brock dropped him with a punch.
Brock dropped Mir with a punch yes, but Mir wasn't really close to going out. But when Carwin hit him, he was done. The mauling on the ground was just too much. Gonzaga didn't require GnP, he was out with a jab. Legit doesn't really matter considering that you can't train you chin. Your chin isn't an estimate of how great of a fighter you are. Some guys have it (Hendo), some guys don't (Arlovski). The fact that Carwin has stopped all of his opponents speaks highly, regardless of who they were. Brock has not shown nearly the same level of striking power. He couldn't put HH away, it took tons of GnP to put away Mir and Couture. Carwin taps Gonzaga and its over. If Carwin hits Brock, the fight is done. IF.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
280lbs is not his normal walk around weight. His last several fights he has been well below the 265 lbs limit. If your cutting 15+lbs to make weight your not going to cut an extra 5-10lbs for the heck of it.
He weighed 265 at the weigh ins for Mir. They both weighed 265, the UFC hyped it up pre-fight.

Brock definitely has faster takedowns than Carwin. But Lesnar's hands are definitely NOT fast.
Lesnar has only one incident on his stand up highlights reel. His punch against Herring in the first. His pnch against Mir was definitely not a KO punch by any means. Carwin defeated Gonzaga in grand fashion as I remember it.

I disagree with this. Mir questionably has superior technical ability. I flip-flop on this myself on occassion. But from their fight Carwin obviously proved superior ability to use his technique. Carwin defeated Mir standing in a clinch using almost perfect dirty boxing techiques. Mir looked like he was out of it before he hit the mat.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Question: Who do you train your wrestling with to mimic the size of brock?

Shane: We have some great wresters at UNC and guys like Marquart, Schaub, Amal Easton, Ron Waterman help push me.

I lol'd... I'm still lol'ing... lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it is a huge advantage for Carwin that Lesnar hasn't fought in such a long time. Of course he also has that crazy KO power, but I tend to agree with the people who say he is a little sloppy. I hope Carwin doesn't underestimate Brock's size and strength because they aren't the same size. It was a good Q and A though. I especially like the fact that he's actually saying what he thinks and isn't just throwing in BS to hype the fight.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
I read the interview, and still don't think Carwin has more than a "single shot" chance. Brock is still going to run through him.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
After seeing him address his fans so personally on his website, and actually answer their questions and be humble I have decided that if he beats Brock I will jump aboard the Carwagon, until then...Brock's going to kick this meathead's ass.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts