Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Question about cutting to make weight

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  ptw 
#1 ·
So, I was wondering... why doesn't the UFC have the fighters fight the same night of the weigh in?

I mean, aren't weight classes supposed to eliminate a huge size difference? However, if you have guys fighting 20lbs over their weight class (Thiago Alves and Anthony Johnson come to mind), doesn't that negate the whole weight class system?

Yes, there's a science to it. Perhaps fighters should be rewarded for perfecting that science.

However, what's the harm in just having fighters fight a couple of hours after the weigh in? It makes a weight class more meaningful.

#2 · (Edited)
because not every fighter can live with the natural weight of their respective class the whole year, some bodies just arent meant to weight 185 or 205, some weight maybe 190 or 195 when they are on a diet and are healthy.

Forcing a fighter to fight the same night of possibly cutting even 3 pounds is bad for the sport, they wouldnt be able to perform at their highest level.

#4 ·
because not every fighter can live with the natural weight of their respective class the whole year, some bodies just arent meant to weight 185 or 205, some weight maybe 190 or 195 when they are on a diet and are healthy.

Forcing a fighter to fight the same night of possibly cutting even 3 pounds is bad for the sport, they wouldnt be able to perform at their highest level.
Well, just maybe, they would start concentrating on technique rather than just being bigger than their opponent.:sarcastic06:

#3 · (Edited)
I fully agree. Weight classes have lost their purpose when guys can cut close to thirty pounds of water weight and come in at 185 for a fight at 170. The idea is that the fighters fight at the same weight to nullify that variable - but they don't. In a way weight classes are a farce nowadays. There is nothing to say against cutting 5 or maybe even 10 pounds. I only have slight issues when people cut one or even two weight classes.

#5 ·
To be honest, you're right, they should have fighters fight the same night as weigh ins to avoid the cutting BS. If you aren't naturally that weight, then you shouldn't be fighting in it, that's my rationale. However, athletes have always cut weight to have an advantage...It's one of those, "Just the way it is." Kind of thing. You could also argue that it helps to separate the good from the great because a great fighter has to make sacrifices. It's tough to cut that much weight, and it puts a ton of stress on your body, by allowing fighters to cut it weeds out the fighters who aren't willing to do whatever it takes to get an advantage and win.

#7 ·
Using the argument that it may not be their "natural" weight is horse shit. We have nutritionists for a reason, not to mention a mountain of information to do it yourself available very cheap or for free on the internet. Your body doesn't have a "natural" weight. That term has no scientific backing and is purely anecdotal. If people needed to weigh 205, they would adjust their diets accordingly and stay at 205.(just using 205 as an example)

#13 ·
I'd prefer it if they had to weigh-in normally the day before, and then weigh-in again just before the fight. And they should have to be within something like 10 lbs of the limit for the 2nd weighin.

Though Im not against just flatout making the weighins an hour or two before the fight. Yeah someguys would miss weight or have a bad fight because they didnt have time to recover properly after cutting the weight, but it shouldnt be any worse than the situation we have now where guys are fighting around 2 weight classes below their fighting weight.

#15 ·
I read an article with one of the UFC's doctors and he said that rehydration after weight cutting reduces damage done to the brain by repetitive blows to the head or getting flat out KTFO'd (I'm paraphrasing) that's why fights are the next day.

And for the record I don't like people cutting a ton of weight, like dropping a whole division in weight. It's basically admitting you don't think you can handle it against people he same size as you so you need a size advantage. I can understand if your natural weight is in-between LW and WW so you cut to LW for example but natural a natural WW should fight at WW.

#16 ·
I read an article with one of the UFC's doctors and he said that rehydration after weight cutting reduces damage done to the brain by repetitive blows to the head or getting flat out KTFO'd (I'm paraphrasing) that's why fights are the next day.

And for the record I don't like people cutting a ton of weight, like dropping a whole division in weight. It's basically admitting you don't think you can handle it against people he same size as you so you need a size advantage. I can understand if your natural weight is in-between LW and WW so you cut to LW for example but natural a natural WW should fight at WW.
This.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Hawndo
#20 ·
I've always been for same day weigh ins and I've always been told I was stupid. I guess I am because I still don't get it. I've read this thread very carefully looking for pro- cutting arguments that made sense. I haven't seen one yet. Some are borderline ridiculous. GSP wouldn't be explosive if he couldn't cut weight? you should say that out loud before you post it.
It allows for last minute replacements if someone doesn't make weight? Please name one time that a replacement has been brought in after the weigh ins.

I've said before if not for weight cutting we wouldn't remember who tito ortiz is. He would have been a mediocre hw that came and went 12 years ago if he'd had the balls to compete at all.

Weight cutting is a competitive trick developed by highschool wrestling coaches who don't care about their kids health.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.