Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does he get a title shot before Gray Maynard?

Gray beat him and they both havent lost since...just wondering.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Possibly cause Gray last fought in January and Frankie in December? Dunno really, cause I'd rather see Gray get a shot.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Easy answer, because fans here and everywhere want to see a more exciting fighter. The UFC grants those wishes and is starting not to care what a guy has done in the UFC but how he has done it.

I guess the name of the game isn't to win anymore. I personally think it is laughable.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
because edgar has looked great in his last fights and employes a mix of solid boxing and wrestling in his fights while maynard has just been getting decisions and has standup that would get tooled by penn. it is a much more entertaining matchup and edgar has a much better chance than what i would give maynard.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
Easy answer, because fans here and everywhere want to see a more exciting fighter. The UFC grants those wishes and is starting not to care what a guy has done in the UFC but how he has done it.

I guess the name of the game isn't to win anymore. I personally think it is laughable.
No way, Edgar looked way more impressive then Maynard in the last couple of fights and his wins over Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin rank higher then Maynards wins. The only thing speaking for Maynard is the fact that he beat Edgar, but that was 2 years ago.

Don't get me wrong though Maynard has beaten many top guys like Huerta, Diaz, Clementi, Miller (Edgar also beaten Miller though) etc... But he needs a win against another top contender. He beat Frankie at a time when Frankie was not a top contender.

EDIT: (just checked his record) Maynards last two wins were with split decicion, and now that I think about I think he should have lost that fight against Diaz and maybie also Huerta, but this is just a comment from me. Match maker Joe Silva should consider not only that he won but how he won aswell. Almost loosing to Huerta and Diaz shows me that he is not ready for BJ.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
No way, Edgar looked way more impressive then Maynard in the last couple of fights and his wins over Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin rank higher then Maynards wins. The only thing speaking for Maynard is the fact that he beat Edgar, but that was 2 years ago.

Don't get me wrong Maynard has beaten many top guys like Huerta, Diaz, Clementi, Miller (Edgar also beaten Miller though) etc...

That is the point. Maynard wins fights but isn't exciting so the UFC doesn't even give him top teir fighters, even though he has beat enough good ones to deserve a shot. Bottom line is Maynard is undefeated while beating Edgar, so he deserves the shot more.

Winning fights isn't enough anymore...obviously.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
^besides edgar who are maynards big wins? that alone tells you why he gets no title shot. if he had loked good against diaz then sure but he could barely take him down and you think he deserves a title shot because he has yet to lose?

i think winning fights hasn't been enough for a long time, have you seen hardy/gsp lately. if wins were everything gsp would face fitch at least three times.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
That is the point. Maynard wins fights but isn't exciting so the UFC doesn't even give him top teir fighters, even though he has beat enough good ones to deserve a shot. Bottom line is Maynard is undefeated while beating Edgar, so he deserves the shot more.

Winning fights isn't enough anymore...obviously.
Edgar and Maynard are really close to eachother in ranking, but only Edgars has beaten a top of the heap guy and former champ, Sherk, I think thats what made Joe Silva decide to give Edgar the shot first.

Its not like its a robbery or something. Your blowing this out of proportion. I would be fine with either Edgar or Maynard, its almost a coin toss between wich of them deserves it the most anyway.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
^besides edgar who are maynards big wins? that alone tells you why he gets no title shot. if he had loked good against diaz then sure but he could barely take him down and you think he deserves a title shot because he has yet to lose?

i think winning fights hasn't been enough for a long time, have you seen hardy/gsp lately. if wins were everything gsp would face fitch at least three times.
Did you not read the part where I said he is undefeated but the UFC still doesn't give him the Griffen's, Sherks, and so on. He can't fight fighters he isn't given the chance to fight.

Do I think he hands down deserves a shot? No, but he is undefeated, what more do you want the guy to do? Sports used to be about winning, but in today's world athletes would rather be exciting than win. If the Steelers win all of their games in ugly fashion are then not allowed in the SuperBowl? No, because the name of the game is winning...in most sports.

If the UFC would give him a better name maybe he could show that he could beat them, or maybe it would show that he isn't that good. But either way he has beat Edgar and hasn't lost, so he can't do anymore other than finish fights.

In 7 UFC fights Edgar has 2 finishes, big whoop. I guess those 2 finishes are enough to warrant better fights and a title shot over a guy that is undefeated and beat him.:confused03:

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Edgar and Maynard are really close to eachother in ranking, but only Edgars has beaten a top of the heap guy and former champ, Sherk, I think thats what made Joe Silva decide to give Edgar the shot first.

Its not like its a robbery or something. Your blowing this out of proportion. I would be fine with either Edgar or Maynard, its almost a coin toss between wich of them deserves it the most anyway.
No one is blowing this out of proportion. I make a big deal because this kind of situation is happening a lot now and there is no factual explanation to it.

The coin flip is decided when Maynard has beat Edgar. Maynard can't fight Sherk in the street and have it count. It isn't his fault winning seems to get him no where.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
No one is blowing this out of proportion. I make a big deal because this kind of situation is happening a lot now and there is no factual explanation to it.

The coin flip is decided when Maynard has beat Edgar. Maynard can't fight Sherk in the street and have it count. It isn't his fault winning seems to get him no where.
Nah this is all including the win Maynard had over Edgar two years ago, if he didn't have that his title shot wouldn't even come into question.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see your double post.
Did you not read the part where I said he is undefeated but the UFC still doesn't give him the Griffen's, Sherks, and so on. He can't fight fighters he isn't given the chance to fight.

Do I think he hands down deserves a shot? No, but he is undefeated, what more do you want the guy to do? Sports used to be about winning, but in today's world athletes would rather be exciting than win. If the Steelers win all of their games in ugly fashion are then not allowed in the SuperBowl? No, because the name of the game is winning...in most sports.

If the UFC would give him a better name maybe he could show that he could beat them, or maybe it would show that he isn't that good. But either way he has beat Edgar and hasn't lost, so he can't do anymore other than finish fights.

In 7 UFC fights Edgar has 2 finishes, big whoop. I guess those 2 finishes are enough to warrant better fights and a title shot over a guy that is undefeated and beat him.:confused03:
Yeah hes undefeated, and thats really impressive, fact of the matter still is he looked like crap in his last two fights, while Edgar looked phenomenal in his last couple of fights witch includes a win over Shean Sherk.

If Maynard manages to do better then just barely win/not almost loosing he would get these bigger names for sure.

UFC has a short memory, only the last couple of fights count, and rightfully so, a fighters skill level and all that varies over time. You have to consider how good a fighter is right now, not who he beat several years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Wasn't there conversation a while back where Randy said Maynard isn't ready for a title shot yet and that they want to develop him a bit more before throwing him into title contention?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
he (gray) wins the same boring fashion that GSP does, I guess the difference is that GSP already has the belt...

I was just curious.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wasn't there conversation a while back where Randy said Maynard isn't ready for a title shot yet and that they want to develop him a bit more before throwing him into title contention?

Yeah I remember something about that as well. To be honest, I don't think Gray is ready either. His standup is still very weak. That would not be a good thing against Penn. I also don't think he could hold BJ down or if he could get him down in the first place. Style wise, Edgar is a much better fight for BJ. His standup is leaps and bounds ahead of Gray. He will stand and bang with BJ while Gray wouldn't. To me it will be a good standup battle. If it stays on the feet, which it probably will, I actually think BJ/Edgar will be a war. I personally am looking forward to this fight very much. I'm pretty sure Edgar won't knock BJ out, but I also don't think BJ will knock Edgar out either. I think BJ will take it, but I just have a feeling he won't dominate Edgar like everyone thinks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maynard also can't hype up a fight. He is the most boring talker in the MMA World! I did however want to see Maynard vs. Penn, but now a Maynard vs. Florian fight sounds really good if they make it!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Not taking anything away from Maynard, but that Duaz fight was close...I think Diaz landed 3 times as many punches and Grey looked busted up...But it was was close....That's all I can figure....

But I do like Frankie..but he stands no chance against BJ

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I honestly think Frankie has a much better shot at BJ then Maynard.

Still don't like his chances though :)
I agree. Frankie got the shot because he wanted it. Maynard knows what will happen and doesn't want it. I think I remember maynard training with Bj before. He doesn't want that ass kicking

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Huerta is one of the best LWs in the world and has only two losses - decisions to Florian and Maynard.

Maynard also convincingly beat Edgar and has faced tougher guys all around, barring Sherk, than Edgar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts