Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was checking out M-1 globals website recently and they seem to be saying and doing the right things. It got me to wondering how big/influential are they really?

who is the #1 mma organization in Europe?

Is there anyone that could rival the UFC in the future?

Are there any top level fighters coming out of the M-1 challenge? who?

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I'm not a European fan, but I'm pretty sure I can answer these questions.

I was checking out M-1 globals website recently and they seem to be saying and doing the right things. It got me to wondering how big/influential are they really?
They're pretty big, but you have to keep in mind that most of their power comes from working cross promotional events with Strikeforce and Dream. The ability to lend their fighters to those organizations allows them to build their own cards with people you've heard of.

And since M-1, in many cases, also acts as management for many of their fighters (and ethically grey area for many; including Dana White) they do make a substantial amount of money off of those cross promotional events as the primary facilitator of fighter negotiations.

This is not really clear to anyone at this point. Realistically, there are a bunch of organizations that are just O.K. The issue is that there are so many organizations that, depending on which country you're in, you may be familiar with totally different brands.

Conceivably, but it's pretty tough when fighters feel like they need to go to Japan or the U.S. to really make a name for themselves. This belief, of course, is one that's totally justified on the part of the fighters, it's just a major problem for management.

Organizations like KSW, which brings up very strong eastern European prospects, can't hold on to those prospects in the long run, but the guys like Mamed Khalidov want to go fight in big shows, and the big draws that they pick up early (like Mariusz Pudianowski) need to look for credible talent elsewhere.

I think that KSW is worth keeping an eye on, but it's hard to tell if they're going to be anything more than a place for prospects to get their start.

If they can't hold on to their serious talent, like Jan Blachwicz, then they're going to have issues.

Depends on what you mean by "top level."

If you mean "top ten," then there are a few. King Mo and Gegard Mousasi are both M-1 fighters, though they are not veterans of the M-1 Challenge.

As far as fighters in the Challenge, there are some serious prospects that have come out of it. I've talked about Christian M'Pumbu as one of the most interesting prospects I've seen in a long time, as well as Yoshiyuki Nakanishi, who beat him by split decision in DEEP. Both are M-1 Challenge veterans.

Mathias Schuck is a monster, and I expect to see him in the UFC at some point. Shane Del Rosario came out of M-1, and he's a serious prospect for Strikeforce.

There are a lot of good guys you've never heard of floating around that organization, but M-1 does land a lot of guys in the upper levels of the sport, they're just usually not fighting in M-1 by the time you hear about them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It got me to wondering how big/influential are they really?
Small as shit

UFC

No

Karl Amoussou

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Yeah am a massive MMA fan and i watch any MMA show i can get my hands on, but i can honestly say M-1 gets zero reconigtion in the UK, am not sure how it is in other countrys in Europe, but am guessing its pretty much the same as here. TBH i actually think M-1 gets more reconigtion in the US than Europe as strange as that sounds.

As for the biggest Europe based MMA org am not sure they are all pretty small really, the biggest in the UK is UCMMA which used to be Cage Rage before there owners (EliteXC) folded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.