Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I really do hope that StrikeForce goes back to being the up and coming fighters company. I really did enjoy watching StrikeForce 2-3 years ago but now i dont really know what to think.

The bad raitings might be a good thing because MMA Fighters to be brawling definitely doesnt help the argument that the fighters aren't just glamorized Bar fighters. :thumbsdown:

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
CBS does a bad job promoting SF imo. If not for me visiting mma forums I would NEVER know when these events are coming on TV.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Bad time for MMA events with NHL and NBA playoffs. And the excitement of the first few games of the MLB season until it gets annoying. Those are target ages that are being taken away.

To tell you the truth SF has very little in terms of star power. Shields is great but still not a big name. More people Know Matt Serra than Jake Shields. Hendo is a big name but still not a Rampage or anything. Mousasi isn't a big name to many. King Mo has a nice little gimmick and he will start to be recognized, but not yet.. Aoki? No. Melendez may have bee heard of by many, but not a big name.

Then others who didn't fight..

Werdum? No
Brett Rogers? Sort of
Big Foot? No
Fedor? Yea, but not as much as Big Nog or Lesnar or Mir

Nate Diaz? Yea in a way.

They have little to no start power or names casual fans even know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only proven draw that Strikeforce has is Gina. She has gotten record breaking numbers for CBS every time she fought. She even gave Strikforce record breaking numbers for when she fought on Showtime.

I wouldn't call Fedor a PROVEN draw yet. One good ratings on CBS isn't enough to be proven. People tend to forget that all the Affliction cards tanked badly when it came to PPV buys. If he gets big ratings for the next CBS card, then he'll be a proven draw.

I dunno know how much of a draw Walker is though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
CBS does a bad job promoting SF imo. If not for me visiting mma forums I would NEVER know when these events are coming on TV.
I actually found out the fights were on my channel surfing and only caught the Jake/Hendo fight.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I actually found out the fights were on my channel surfing and only caught the Jake/Hendo fight.
Thats the thing a fan like yourself shouldnt be channel surfing and then stumble across a live MMA event on broadcast TV. They need to do better job promoting this stuff.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thats the thing a fan like yourself shouldnt be channel surfing and then stumble across a live MMA event on broadcast TV. They need to do better job promoting this stuff.

I agree completely. I have always been a fan of UFC and MMA as a whole, but it is only recently that I have begun to watch all of MMA. UFC is a great stepping stone for MMA, but it's nice that there are other organizations out there doing it as well. With proper promotion, it'd be nice to have 2/3 well respected organizations out there showing true and proper MMA to all the fans worldwide.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm not really all that surprised by the numbers. Stanley cup playoffs, NBA playoffs, baseball started again. The UFC putting the 110 card against it. This card wasn't that great by any means either. I think it all had something to do with it. That and Strikeforce's utter lack of advertising for the event. At least when UFC is on I see a couple commercials before the event.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is probably what they are counting on to get viewers. Running commercials and advertisements for the event would probably cost them too much. Their problem is they don't have any recognizable names to the casual fans. Henderson was probably their biggest draw and he can't even pull that many viewers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts