Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11540&zoneid=2

It's been five long years since Quinton "Rampage" Jackson fought now UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in Pride Fighting Championships, but the Memphis fighter admits that loss still haunts him to this day.

As Jackson prepares for his long awaited showdown with rival Rashad Evans, the looming prize for the winner beyond ultimate bragging rights is a shot at Shogun's newly polished 205-pound title belt. The last time Rampage crossed paths with Shogun was in 2005 and it ended with a devastating series of knees from the Brazilian, finished up with a few soccer kicks for good measure.

Rampage has his mind on Rashad right now, but believes that the stars are aligned perfectly for him to get a second shot at Shogun when this fight is finished.

"I feel like the universe is opened up for me right now. It seems like it's my time," said Rampage. "Cause that Shogun fight actually does haunt me ever since then. I never even should have took the fight. Going into the fight I was already injured. It was one of those things it taught me a mean lesson."

Admitting the mistakes he made ever taking that fight, Jackson knows that it wasn't a good choice to face Shogun back then, but it was definitely a learning experience.

"I was young, I was a kid, full of myself. I felt like Shogun he ain't never fought nobody, he can't hurt me. I can still take this fight even though I was injured cause I was all about making that money, and it ended up costing me," he recounted.

The result of that fight still incites Jackson's ire, as put on display on Tuesday during a media conference call in which opponent Rashad Evans answered Rampage's claims that he was talking trash during his fight with Lyoto Machida, even though he got knocked out.

Evan's quickly bounced back at Rampage and barked about the Shogun fight.

"At least I won't quit, like you did when you was going against Shogun," Rashad shouted. "You quit, just laying there like a little sucker in the corner."

It's those kinds of comments, Jackson says, that motivate him even more for this fight, and after finishing Evans he plans on gunning for Shogun in every way.

"Even now, Rashad talking bad about it, it makes me, I can't explain how it makes me feel. It makes me want to put a hurting on Rashad, and then go put a hurting on Shogun right after," said Jackson.

"I'm so fired up and so motivated."

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Good read... you know Quenten has his moments when you can understand him and see him as an induvidual not just a fighter..... this is one of those moments....

Than he goes and acts like a absolute idiot on TUF and blows that away....

In regards to the Shogun fight... it's not surprising he's haunted by that loss.... Those knees gave him shell shock for years.... they looked very devastating..

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Jackson's going to lose against Rashad and is going to eat all his words. If he beats Rashad, Shogun will make him eat his words.

Rampage is funny, but he's too stupid for me to cheer for, pulling for Rashad to lay a beating on him and silence the haters and earn himself some respect. People forget he's only lost once...

·
Banned
439 Posts
Imagine Rashad as BA Baracus on A-team? Booooooring
Rampage rocks.
Last I checked this was an MMA forum and not a movie form :confused02:

But since we're going that route, I think Rashad would be a better actor than Rampage. He at least makes some great impersonations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jackson's going to lose against Rashad and is going to eat all his words. If he beats Rashad, Shogun will make him eat his words.

Rampage is funny, but he's too stupid for me to cheer for, pulling for Rashad to lay a beating on him and silence the haters and earn himself some respect. People forget he's only lost once...
Rampage is going to give it to Rashad, but shogun? IDk lol

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I know Rashad just says it to wind Rampage up, but I wouldn't say Rampage quit in that fight. He had a smashed rib, took brutal knees and then got soccer kicked in the head a few times. At no point did he tap. And let's face it, Rashad would be unconcious after the first blow, let alone be able to take the rest of that punishment without being KOd.

Wandy is the only guy to ever KO Rampage, and even that took about 137 knees to the head. It's definitely brave of Rashad to talk this much when he probably couldn't KO Rampage, yet Rampage can definitely KO him. Makes me certain Rashad is just going to go for takedowns and play safe, which Rampage knows and said himself on the conderence call.

Can't wait for this :thumb02:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Everyone has their moment with Shogun.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I am still haunted just from watching that fight. Some losses you just do not forget about. That is one. Rampage will get his shot at Shogun someday, but it will be after Rashad gets his shot first.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am still haunted just from watching that fight. Some losses you just do not forget about. That is one. Rampage will get his shot at Shogun someday, but it will be after Rashad gets his shot first.
I doubt Rashad will take this one, Rampage is way more hungry then Rashad, both are great fighters, Rampage better on standup while Rashad better on ground, however Rampage isn't going to be totally lost on the ground so he will get his way back up and get the knock out.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
I know Rashad just says it to wind Rampage up, but I wouldn't say Rampage quit in that fight. He had a smashed rib, took brutal knees and then got soccer kicked in the head a few times. At no point did he tap. And let's face it, Rashad would be unconcious after the first blow, let alone be able to take the rest of that punishment without being KOd.

Wandy is the only guy to ever KO Rampage, and even that took about 137 knees to the head. It's definitely brave of Rashad to talk this much when he probably couldn't KO Rampage, yet Rampage can definitely KO him. Makes me certain Rashad is just going to go for takedowns and play safe, which Rampage knows and said himself on the conderence call.

Can't wait for this :thumb02:
Dunno man, if Rashad lands flush what he did on Liddell or Salmon, it would KO ANYBODY I don't care how good your chin is. Those were probably the two most devastating full bodied KOs in recent memory.

But yeah, Rampage is a lot crisper than either of those guys and I don't see Rashad outstriking him. Probably Lay n Pray for 3 rounds like with Thiago as you said or get knocked out. Close fight to call though, I'm excited because really everything is on the table besides subs and there's a lot of bad blood.

·
Registered
535 Posts
lol Salmons. I'm not convinced by Rashad's striking honestly. Good wins over Forrest and Chuck but comeon, he was losing the standup in both fights prior to the finish. The few minutes he stood with Thiago, he almost got his head taken off. We'll see in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
lol Salmons. I'm not convinced by Rashad's striking honestly. Good wins over Forrest and Chuck but comeon, he was losing the standup in both fights prior to the finish. The few minutes he stood with Thiago, he almost got his head taken off. We'll see in 2 weeks.
I'm not convinced by Rashad either. IMO he's basically the same guy who struggled with Bisping and Tito, with some good speed that can can catch you with a flash KO if you're not careful. He'll probably come in with a good game plan and go for leg kicks and take-downs, but I think Rampage is eventually going to connect and Rashad is getting KO'd.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Rashad has ok striking due to his speed and power, but only really for the big shot. Has he ever outstruck anyone decent? If all he can do is rely on a big punch, he stands little chance with Rampage in the standup.

As for leg kicks, I'd be surprised to see this work again. Forrest was able to do it because a) he has very good kicks and b) he's 6'3 so has the range to do it. Rashad is not going to be able to do that same thing, not forgetting Forrest easily outstruck Rashad until taking one on the chin, so overall he's a better striker anyway.

I like Rashad but I'm not convinced by his striking. I said the same before he fought Machida, because people on here were talking like he was the second coming of Mike Tyson, but the reality was he had speed and power to his advantage, but hasn't ever had good striking. Improved, but not good. So it was fairly obvious that as soon as he faced a good striker that could either be good enough to avoid getting hit (Machida) or be able to take a good shot (Rampage), Rashad would come unstuck. I think Rashad knows this though, as does Rampage.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't know, for some reason I don't like Evans, even though I respect him as a good fighter. That's why I want Jackson to win, the other reason is that I like his charisma and the way of fighting much more than Evans'. But it's MMA and I wouldn't be surprised if Rashad won decisively. As for Shogun-Rampage II, Rua would still beat him standing and I don't think the fight would even go to the ground. I'd rank Jackson judging by tools and skills at this point below Rua, Machida, Nogueira and probably Evans.

P.S.
After such long layoff, Jackson will probably lose...

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Both Rashad and Rampage would get beat by Shogun. Clearly, Shogun throws a mean punch even when it's off-target and that doesn't bode well for Rashad. As for Rampage, his biggest weakness are low kicks and that happens to be one of Shogun's strengths.

I think Lil Nog has the best chance at challenging Shogun, though I'd still give the win to Shogun in that fight as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.