Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
It makes you believe what all the others' BJ, Randy, Roger Huerta, even Tito had to say in the past. Always two sides of the equation, but it hasn't been one isolated incident.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
It makes you believe what all the others' BJ, Randy, Roger Huerta, even Tito had to say in the past. Always two sides of the equation, but it hasn't been one isolated incident.
Yea, usually when only one fighter comes out you scratch your head and ask if he is telling the truth, but when so many fighters come out and almost have the same story...make you scratch your head and think whats really going on backstage.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
All it makes me believe is that everyone wants more money, and professional athletes have the leeway to bitch about it without risk of being fired unlike people in much lower paying professions who work just as hard.

Good interview though. He's never gonna let that Forrest shit go lol.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Yea, usually when only one fighter comes out you scratch your head and ask if he is telling the truth, but when so many fighters come out and almost have the same story...make you scratch your head and think whats really going on backstage.
I think it's becoming too corporate. Their business model is where if you're a star and have value you will be taken care of as long as you "win and do the job." There's also a lot of preferential treatment; Chuck Liddell, GSP, understandably Griffin and Bonnar plus a few others. Sadly one can't please everyone. Just hate hearing stories like Pat having to eat ketchup and rice or Jardine scraping by with $10k. For every successful fighter, there's 10 more that's starving, literally. What differentiates the fight game vs any other sports is that one bad fight and your career can spiral downhill.

It aint easy...so yah the fighters should be allowed to get sponsorship dollars, appearance fees for pre or after parties, among other revenue streams.

They do sacrifice their body and livelihood for our entertainment. People don't realize that forums like this and the media give us (the masses) the power. Cuz if we choose to stop paying for PPV or supporting a show until they pay higher wages then any organization albeit the UFC would have to meet the demands.

I'm usually pro Dana White and UFC management cuz I understand to an extent on what it takes to run a business. But after the comments he's made on some of the fighters namely Anderson Silva it made me realize that if the entire Blackhouse team revolted and others' joined they could be in a pickle. They need an HR department where the fighters can fill out forms to cater to their needs...haha. They're in a position to do so now!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
When the PPV numbers are reading the same as boxing PPV numbers, and fighters are only making in the 100k's for their fights you know there's something wrong. Boxer's make millions for their fights, while mma fighters are barely making a fraction of that.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15498/ufc...erre-top-earners-from-x-x-million-payroll.mma

Look at these figures, they don't add up. You have the event + PPV numbers + sponsers and all can manage to pay the fighters are these measly wages? I understand the sport is young and everything, but I think combat athletes deserve to be paid a whole lot more for their performances. They are risking a whole lot when they go out there to fight.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
When the PPV numbers are reading the same as boxing PPV numbers, and fighters are only making in the 100k's for their fights you know there's something wrong. Boxer's make millions for their fights, while mma fighters are barely making a fraction of that.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15498/ufc...erre-top-earners-from-x-x-million-payroll.mma

Look at these figures, they don't add up. You have the event + PPV numbers + sponsers and all can manage to pay the fighters are these measly wages? I understand the sport is young and everything, but I think combat athletes deserve to be paid a whole lot more for their performances. They are risking a whole lot when they go out there to fight.
there is an easy answer to this. more fights on a ufc card, shorter fights usually. also ufc is not doing boxing numbers 400k is about the average (that might even be too high) not a lot of cards do a million, i dont even think gsp/hardy did a mill. the pay scale is still new and imagine, it would be less if the ufc paid for health insurance and such fully!

·
Registered
545 Posts
The thing is the boxing shows only put out events every so often. They can afford to pay out as they get huge draws few and far between. The UFC does a show every month and free shows through out the year and can never really know what kind of numbers they will do. Do the math, if every fighter got paid in the 6 figures the UFC could not manage that. Also does anyone know how much the other MMA organizations pay out, Pride, Dream, SF, Bellator. I think because of what the UFC is doing now eventually it will lead to fighters being paid more. Also lets not forget that these fighters agree to fight for this amount so we really can't say that this is unjust. Also page didn't say that his issue with the UFC is money so I don't know how we got on this topic.

With that said I love page but him not backing out of fights or taking his opponents for granted is not an excuse. He made those choices and no one else. I'm glad that its haunting him cause I can't wait for him to shut the haters up.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
UFC only averages 300-450k PPV numbers. The big name guys like GSP/Lesnar average around 600-900k, so its only right for them to get paid the most money.

GSP and Lesnar made around 5-6 million for UFC 100 because of their PPV contract, they get money for how many PPVs they sell.

I think its $3 for every one person after 350k ppv buys.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Boxing has a completely different infrastructure with only a small number of fighters making big money that you speak of. I'm not saying UFC wages shouldn't be higher than they are because some fighters are horribly underpaid, but comparing the payouts to boxing is pointless.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I think the dudes that deserve to get payed well are getting payed well. The dudes that people really want to see (GSP, Chuck, Brock, and a few others) are making a lot of money. As for the lower level dudes, they are doing a hell of a lot better then most of the dudes that fight on boxing undercards. I think the way the fighters get payed is working for the time being, im sure it will go up in the future. Keep in mind these dudes make money off of sponsorships and appearence fee's at various events. That is money they might not be making if they werent fighting in the UFC.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I love Rampage, but I wish he would be a better employee. DW will only take so much of this crap before Page ends up turfed. Dana seems to reward loyalty above all else, if Rampage would stop being such a hard ass with the company I think he would reap a lot of the rewards he covets.

The comment about the UFC giving back to the fighters after the 10% stake sold is pretty ridiculous too. IMO, these fighters forget how much the company needs to re-invest into expansion and marketing.

Like I said, I love Rampage and hope he destroys Rashad, I just wish he would stop barking at the boss man, if he does, it will get him a lot closer to where he wants to be. Don't bite the hand that feeds dawg. I don't see him branding his own promotion and competing with the UFC anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.