Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UFC President, Dana White has revealed the promotion might look to pair light heavyweight superstars, Lyoto Machida and Quinton “Rampage Jackson together for a mega-fight later on this year.

Speaking on Saturday night after UFC 114, Dana said:

“I’m going to get together with Machida in the next couple of days, maybe Rampage.”

Both men are coming off crushing defeats for different reasons. Machida lost in the first round to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, dropping not only his light heavyweight title but his undefeated record in the process. Rehab on a broken orbital may delay his return although there’s no timescale on it at present.

As for Jackson, he lost to bitter rival, Rashad Evans at the weekend, and although he didn’t exactly take a pummelling during the fight, his pride has certainly been battered by the result. The man from Memphis is determined to return to action as soon as possible in order to shake off the ring rust, therefore another fight this year is on the cards.

The bout would be an interesting one for both men as it’s definitely high risk, high reward. A win for either man would catapult them straight back into the title mix in the light heavyweight division while a loss, a second in a row, would be a disaster.
Source: http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/05/31/...nton-“rampage”-jackson-could-be-in-the-works/

I disagree with this fight personally, I don't think Rampage would be a good challenge for Machida after what Rashad did to him, but I suppose it will be a nice warm-up for Lyoto.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
It could be a repeat of either fights....Machida would use his speed to beat rampage or Rampage will catch Machida early to end the fight....A bad match-up for the 2....I say Machida/Forrest and Rampage/Lil Nog

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Honestly i don't like this match-up.
Machida is similar to Rashad when it comes on fighting someone like Rampage. I could see this going the same way as Rampage-Rashad, at least at the beggining: Rampage taking the center of the ring and Machida circling arround, trying to find his range and to get his timing spot-on, get in - get out combinations. But i could see Machida being even more cautious, because of Rampage's hook. That would definitely end the fight.
I would like to see Machida-Forrest and Rampage-Thiago Silva.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Not a Machida fan, big Rampage fan, but Rampage has no chance against Lyoto at this point. Moving from Rashad to Lyoto is moving on to a superior opponent for Rampage after a loss. Rampage likes to pace & strike, Lyoto is the master of a paced fight. If given the opportunity to jump in & out and setting up baits, Lyoto is the master. Not a good match up for Rampage.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rampage will be back on track for this fight.

Both of them have a lot to prove but I see Rampage's drive to win a lot bigger.

Will hopefully be a good fight eitherway.
I think Machida is going to be more motivated to win this fight, Rampage stands only a punchers chance.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Would much rather see Forrest vs Rampage II TBH. I love watching Rampage, but I'm just not too interested to watch Machida fight if I'm honest. I see him going the way of Rashad Evans after this fight, and becoming ultra defensive, going back to his over-elusive style not putting his chin out there. Rampage won't be able to handle Lyoto's speed, and it results in a fairly simple, but dull UD in favour of Machida.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Find this to be an interesting matchup because this was suppose to happen in the first place. Second reason is coming off a devastating knockout he's going against a power hitter who can absorb unusual amount of punishment. Machida will have to dart in and out constantly the entire three rounds escaping any potential counters/attacks Rampage does. Think I've seen enough fights lately to know that upsets or miraculous things can occur. Machida should win the UD, but man if history has shown us (Russow vs Duffe) strange things can happen.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Lyoto wins this via UD. Rampage is too slow and one dimensional to damage Lyoto. This would be a big name to get Machida back on track.

Rampage should be asking for T Silva, a guy who is going to stand right in front of him and get dropped like a whore.

I'd like to see Griffin vs Machida later on as well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lyoto wins this via UD. Rampage is too slow and one dimensional to damage Lyoto. This would be a big name to get Machida back on track.

Rampage should be asking for T Silva, a guy who is going to stand right in front of him and get dropped like a whore.

I'd like to see Griffin vs Machida later on as well.
I think Thiago Silva will drop Rampage.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Machida should take it as he wouldnt have to worry about leg kicks but i would be scared for him every second of that fight.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Machida would be a horrible matchup for Rampage imo. Rampage doesn't have enough speed or aggression to cut the distance and pressure Machida like Shogun did. Machida would keep distance and counter his way to the decision.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Damn, pretty bad matchup for Rampage. Doubt that he can catch Machida.

It's kind of a lose-lose in a way -

If Rampage wins - "Lyoto has glass in his chin, Shogun proved it, no credit for Rampage"

If Lyoto wins - "Rampage is a movie star who doesn't belong in MMA anymore, no credit for Lyoto"

God, MMA fans are annoying sometimes.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Machida would be a horrible matchup for Rampage imo. Rampage doesn't have enough speed or aggression to cut the distance and pressure Machida like Shogun did. Machida would keep distance and counter his way to the decision.
This!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Until Rampage figures out what a gameplan is, and he shows no real signs of doing so, Machida remains the overwhelming favourite to pick him apart all day long on the way to a lopsided decision. Unless Rampage suddenly realizes that Machida likely doesn't have the power to drop him and just runs in on him throwing bombs the way Wandy did to Bisping at the end of the rounds, he's effectively got no chance of beating Machida. He's not going to win until he learns how to gameplan and adapt his fighting style to his opponents.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Until Rampage figures out what a gameplan is, and he shows no real signs of doing so, Machida remains the overwhelming favourite to pick him apart all day long on the way to a lopsided decision. Unless Rampage suddenly realizes that Machida likely doesn't have the power to drop him and just runs in on him throwing bombs the way Wandy did to Bisping at the end of the rounds, he's effectively got no chance of beating Machida. He's not going to win until he learns how to gameplan and adapt his fighting style to his opponents.
It's the best fight that can happen at LHW and a surefire #1 headliner.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Does anyone think that Lyoto can take down Rampage? I am not sure how his style of takedowns would work againts Rampages TDD but even if h could not Rampage is just too slow for Lyoto because he was too slow for Rashad and I think Lyoto is just a tad faster.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.